Greetings from the sunny West Midlands

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

Paganwolf

Greetings from the sunny West Midlands

Postby Paganwolf » Tue May 08, 2012 9:42 pm

I have been asked to do a brief introduction, but I'm a guitarist, we never do anything brief do we? :lol:
So, good evening, My name is Richard and I'm currently residing in that urban paradise known as Walsall, So.... where is that I hear you cry? well, either rattle up the M5, M6 and M40 until they all pretty much join up, look for the dazzling scenic beauty of the Birmingham skyline and keep going a tad, when you see the RAC building, hang a right and there you are.
So, why am I here? well, I think I'm having a renaiscance and an epiphany, Many years ago when I started listening to and playing guitar, I was drawn to Musicians like Gordon, Bert Jansch and John Martyn as i loved the way they could pcik and diversify notes to such a degree, It was only a matter of time before I discovered Rock music though and the Ubiquitous Marshall wall and my own Guitar of choice, the Flying V of which I have 5, two John Diggins 1958's, a Gibson 1967 Reissue and a Gibson 1958 reissue topped off with a Vintage Hamer flying V from the 80's, Not so long back I bought a Fender Strat with a Floyd and as part of the deal, there was an Ovation Encore which started to be used more and more until before long, I was spending more time playing the acoustic than the electrics, (plus there is the distinct advantage of not having to use a Transit to move everything) I have since added to the acoustic collection with an Ovation Nylon strung electro acoustic which is wonderful to play and my latest xmas pressie to myself, A Takamine 12 string as this is one are I feel ovation have not got it quite right as they sound just a bit weedy.
So after almost twenty years of electrics, I'm effectively starting over and learning such things as finger picking but the odd thing is, I'm enjoying it all tremendously, I can have five minutes on the guitar without ten minutes plugging it all in.
So where does the epiphany come in? thats simple, one of the pieces of music that made me stop listening to music and play it was "heartsong" and i'm psyching myself up to being able to play a passable version of it and the rennaiscence is going back to another one of my inspirations, Ritchie Blackmore and the acoustic work he does in Blackmores Night.
Well, thats me, just to finish, thanks for having me here, and reading thorugh the forums yesterday, there is a lot of knowledge and good opinion here.

Regards

Rich
Witches ride brooms as nature abhores a vacuum

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from the sunny West Midlands

Postby GORDON » Tue May 08, 2012 11:37 pm

Hi Rich.

That is a fine selection of instruments my friend. I'm impressed!

Thanks for introducing yourself to us and you are most welcome.

The West Midlands is a good place to be. We are in Sutton Coldfield!

Did you know that Ritchie quite likes my music?

Be Well sir.

G.

Paganwolf

Re: Greetings from the sunny West Midlands

Postby Paganwolf » Fri May 11, 2012 11:03 am

GORDON wrote:
Did you know that Ritchie quite likes my music?

hi Gordon, and so he should lol, I have to admit I find his acoustic work far more inspiring than his electric work, even though at the time it was almost as ground breaking as Hendrix. Thank you for your compliment, I have to admit, I did downsize the collection quite a bit but these were the ones I couldnt bear to part with, especially the John Diggins pair, He's only in Birmingham and to me makes amazing guitars

Ah you arent a million miles away in Sutton Coldfield then, i'll remember that when I get stuck on something! :wink:

Have a great weekend

Rich
Witches ride brooms as nature abhores a vacuum

Return to “Gordon's Music”