Triangular note symbols in Heartsong

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

guy.murray

Triangular note symbols in Heartsong

Postby guy.murray » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:23 pm

Could someone tell me what the triangular note symbols on the open 4th string mean (page 23 'Vintage Giltrap').

ta

Guy
Guy

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:29 pm

Hello Guy.

What that symbol means(and it is entirely optional) is that the open 4th string is very quickly lifted up and then released on to the fingerboard giving it a percussive SLAP effect. Many guitarists have used this effect from Bert Jansch to John Martyn. All is does is add a little character to the sound. It really is more of a feel thing than anything else.

Sorry if I'm making this sound complicated sir.

Thanks for buying the book and I trust you are enjoying working your way through some of these old chestnuts of mine.

Be Well.

G.

guy.murray

Postby guy.murray » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:23 pm

Thanks for that, not something I've tried before, struggling enough just playing it normally at present!

And yes I'm enjoying your books immensely, together with Ray Burley's arrangements (which is where I started as I'm a classical player). So much so in fact that I went out and bought a steel string electro-acoustic with a cutaway so I can reach those dusty regions of the fingerboard in "On Camber Sands" and play around with a delay pedal which has been great fun - and a great discipline as you suggest in the notes.

Any more publications in the pipeline?

Guy
Guy

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi Guy.

Well done sir!

Nothing planned as yet but we live in hope.

Enjoy the music.

G.

Return to “Gordon's Music”