Just flying the flag...

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

Mike Stranks

Just flying the flag...

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:38 pm

The older I get, the better I used to be

Jon G

Postby Jon G » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:38 pm

Nice to see somebody else on that thread flying another flag for Rev Gary Davis - the first acoustic guitarist I wanted to emulate. Poles apart from Gordon in style, but what technique, and what emotion!

I was studying in Cambridge when he came to the Cambridge Folk Festival shortly before he died, but stupidly I was eager to get home and missed him. Repenting at leisure, now.
Nothing can possibly go wrong...

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:20 am

Hi Jon.

Yep Gary Davis...outstanding. Did you know he only used thumb and first finger to play? SO not that far removed from me in that department.John Martyn used the same, just thumb and first finger.

Cool photo by the way.

What's the guitar...grin grin.. :wink:

Best.

G.

Jon G

Postby Jon G » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:52 am

Yeah - I started off with one thumb and finger, but then found you could do bigger chords using another finger. Never got to more than that because I needed the last two to stop me hand falling off the scratchplate.

I got that guitar off some bloke in Fulham. Then I noticed it had two of those sticky out things - obviously a manufacturing fault - and had to sell it. I felt bad about not mentioning it to the guy who bought it, but I don't think he noticed...

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:22 pm

He was obviously a gullible amateur. :)

Jon G

Postby Jon G » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:30 pm

The worst of it was I had the thing re-fretted. You'd have thought the tech would have said something to me before he charged me double, wouldn't you? I just put it down to experience in the end.

At least I never had it nicked, unlike Gary Davis who, being blind, was always having his J200s purloined when he was singing on the streets in Harlem.

Return to “Gordon's Music”