When / where did you first see Gordon play?

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

Colin Welfare

Re: When / where did you first see Gordon play?

Postby Colin Welfare » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:31 pm

Told you I had forgotten a lot of the sixties & seventies!

By the time we got to Top of the Pops 'Pans People' had turned into 'Legs & Co', according to a recent rerun of the program :oops:

Looking forward to seeing you at the Royal Festival Hall, if the tickets turn up!
Colin & Jill

matt

Postby matt » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:16 am

I'm feeling quite young reading some of these posts ... happening less and less so I'll enjoy my moment... :mrgreen:

I haven't seen Gordon in person much to my regret... Something I intend to remedy as quickly as possible so I can shake his hand whilst grinning like an idiot. Something my wife to be will tell you I'm rather good at...

I thought I would say that I first recall hearing his work in the early 80's as a nipper via my mother and father... On and off, here and there and then I remember hearing a stunning guitarist play on a show that was on in the background but it was extremely brief. I recognised the style and remember asking who it was. It was Gordon in the late 90's on Cliff Richards Heathcliff... I later watched the whole thing as I'm a closet Cliff Richard fan... I still sing 'it's so funny' whenever I find anything amusing, under my breath of course... :oops:

It made me pick up the guitar and want to play... I can't play for toffee but I don't give much of a monkey's and enjoy it anyway... one day my fingers will do as I command them and I'll learn to play that short piece if I have to saw them all off and glue them onto the opposite hands! :twisted: Much the same as my crab claw playing abilities at piano where I can massacre chopsticks with ease!

So... anyone got a how to (plus tab in yellow crayon a video guide and a personal tutor with lots of patience and understanding and a spare lifetime) on that short picnic tune I love so much? :D
Damn... broke a nail

brian haley

Postby brian haley » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:26 pm

The first "almost live" performance I saw was In Buxton Opera House (can't quite remember when). Gordon did a video accompanied for Rick Wakeman in one of Rick's solo performances. It reminded me of how I used to enjoy what Gordon could do with a guitar and how well he communicated with his audience.

Second time was 3 parts guitar, again at Buxton Opera House at the end of Sept 2009. This time I took my young (9 yr. old) Grandson, who had been taking guitar lessons for about 3 yrs. A great success! Grandson had a great time, though admitting not all was his type of music - he spent most of the show standing at the front with his elbows on the orchestra rail watching in amazement at what he saw. I'm glad to say he still keeps up his practise and I can now enjoy listening to him, not just feel obliged to because he is my Grandson.

Last performance I saw was in my Church : St Mary's in Alsager (Cheshire). Again I took James and an even greater success - two of the other members of the audience mistook me for his Dad instead of his Grandad (a definite score) and James thoroughly enjoyed the music and the various explainations Gordon made. I too, although sadly not a musician enjoyed the chat - I thought it was pitched just right for an audience of guitarists and non - guitarists alike. Gordon showed great kindness speaking to James during the interval. Thanks, Gordon, James (now 14, is still playing some of your stuff he downloaded when we got home.

I did speak to Gordon regarding the possibility of another concert in the Church, either solo or with Oliver Wakeman. My only fear was that the ticket price was only about £14 which is way under what I have had to charge in the past (and also well under what I expected to pay to see Gordon). I have promoted several diverse concerts there myself, from Rick Wakeman to Julian Lloyd Weber to Hardeep Singh Kohli, etc. Perhaps Gordon would like to mail details of his fee, etc, so that we could look at the possibility of another concert?
Kindest regards,
Brian Haley.

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi Brian,

for booking Gordon you need to talk to his agent, Sue Webster

email: suewebstermusic@gmail.com
Phone: +44(0)1905 312016
Mobile: +44(0)794 1008183

cheers
Sue Holton
GG webmaster

brian haley

Postby brian haley » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:53 pm

Thanks for your help Sue - I've done that now.
Brian.

simonb

Postby simonb » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:13 pm

Gordon Giltrap's name was one that I was aware of for many years but had never actually seen him perform. My wife and I noticed that he and Oliver Wakeman were appearing at the Weston Playhouse in September 2012. One of the early dates for the Ravens and Lullabies tour.
It was a small audience who were treated to a fantastic evening of music. The friendship and respect between the two musicians was strong, and as we later learned, it was very much their early days of working together. That started me off going through the back catalogue of Gordon Giltrap's work in the following months.
I think I began with Visionary and was stunned at the prog rock version of Jerusalem. What a powerful piece of music, what a tune to interpret in that way. Fear of the Dark, Music for the Small Screen, Perilous Journey, Shining Morn, I collected more and more. Playing them back to back on my regular 4 hour drive between Bristol and North Wales.
I have also now purchased the re-releases of some of the albums because there are different tracks on them.
We saw the concert in The Tithe Barn at Bishops Cleeve advertised and booked tickets. A fantastic venue, the band were incredible. I won't even try to match what others have already said about the gig, everything just worked. The sound was good, the warmth and friendship between the band was great. Oliver's quip to Gordon about him "being in so much trouble now for talking over my introductions" shows how close they have become over the tour. I especially liked the way the emergency vehicle's blue lights highlighted Johanne James, the drummer, sitting in the window as they passed by.
I had already purchased the Ravens and Lullabies album in 2013 when it was released and to see it performed live, it doesn't get much better. Even part of the M5 being shut going home didn't dampen our spirits.
We shall try to catch more concerts when they are in the South West, more collaboration with Oliver would just be a bonus. Will Heartsong, with the full band, be released? It was such a superb rendition of the song.

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:49 am

I would like to make an update to my story "where I first heard Gordon's music".

After the Polish Radio 3 programs (11 and 12 December 2014) where 3 tracks from Ravens and Lullabies were aired and a Polish connection of 1981 was mentioned, I made contact with the Wroclaw Pantomime Theater and received an e-mail where the history behind the meeting of the Visionaries (as I call it) was explained by the Director: In the years 1980/1981, when the pantomime play "The Knights of King Arthur" was being rehearsed, there was a problem with music to one of the scenes. One of the the actors, Mr Feliks Kudakiewicz, who brought the Visionary album from one his trips abroad, took the record to the theater with a suggestion to use one of the compositions, and when Henryk Tomaszewski heard the music, he decided to use much more.

2016 will see an opening in Wroclaw of a museum devoted to the Pantomime Theater of Henryk Tomaszewski, where it will be possible to see costumes, decorations and watch the plays on screen.

The date seems to coincide with ... the 40th anniversary of the Visionary album.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:22 am

piotrwargan wrote:I would like to make an update to my story "where I first heard Gordon's music".

After the Polish Radio 3 programs (11 and 12 December 2014) where 3 tracks from Ravens and Lullabies were aired and a Polish connection of 1981 was mentioned, I made contact with the Wroclaw Pantomime Theater and received an e-mail where the history behind the meeting of the Visionaries (as I call it) was explained by the Director: In the years 1980/1981, when the pantomime play "The Knights of King Arthur" was being rehearsed, there was a problem with music to one of the scenes. One of the the actors, Mr Feliks Kudakiewicz, who brought the Visionary album from one his trips abroad, took the record to the theater with a suggestion to use one of the compositions, and when Henryk Tomaszewski heard the music, he decided to use much more.

2016 will see an opening in Wroclaw of a museum devoted to the Pantomime Theater of Henryk Tomaszewski, where it will be possible to see costumes, decorations and watch the plays on screen.

The date seems to coincide with ... the 40th anniversary of the Visionary album.

I can't believe it will be forty years Piotr.Im continually gratefull to you for keeping the faith with this music of mine.

I thank you most sincerely from the heart.

Be well both.

G&H.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:21 pm

just to add some banter and memories...
I remember being at school, in london, and I think it was an LWT broadcast one early evening that featured a certain Mr Giltrap performing a piece from his new album, Visionary.(1976 ish...?)
Now, being a young chap who was living at the bottom of the Kings road when punk was screaming its way to prominence, I had no business being interested in this stuff...but it absolutely stopped me in my tracks. I bought the LP, still love it and count one or two of the compositions in my poorly played repertoire (robes & crowns is exquisite). Saw Mr G at the Fairfield Halls in Croydon a couple of years later...perhaps it was 1978 ? can't really remember.
I guess it was via this route that I came to listen to the music of Mr Graham, Mr Jansch & Mr Renbourn amongst many others, a musical route that has enriched my life.
I was lucky enough, when I was older, to spend a little time with Mr Graham in Camden and to listen to Mr Jansch & Mr Renbourn close up.
It is so sad that they are not physically present with us now...their music and passion, however, remain.I think Mr Giltrap is an extraordinary musician and his music continues to captivate me. Yes, I'm a bit of a guitar geek...but so what.. Its the music really.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:23 pm

Gawd bless yer Marcus,lovely memories for me too of those early days.I still can't believe John has gone.So honoured to have " opened" a door for you to a world of beautiful music.

Be well bro.

G.

Russyfoot

Postby Russyfoot » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:34 am

I first saw Gordon an the Old Grey Whistle Test way back when. I was so blown away I went out and bought Visionary the next day. A few months on I first saw him live at Loughborough University. Over the years I've seen him at diverse venues from the magnificent Birmingham Symphony Hall to several village halls around the East Midlands. The most 'intimate' venue was the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham where the audience numbered around 10 and the girl on the door asked to see Gordon's pass-out after he had nipped out to the loo !
Russ Ince
Kegworth
Derbys

Stevie G

Postby Stevie G » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:28 pm

Can remember parts of it,late 70s Newcastle City Hall Fear of the Dark tour.Got into the venue which was a sell out or very near, one of the things that has always stuck in my mind was the brand new shiny stack of amps. When the first notes blasted from the sound system it blew me away and quite a few other people as i looked along the row of denim clad hipsters (of which i was one) people were amazed by the crystal clear sound of the guitars, at the time we were brought up watching groups such as ACDC UFO Rush so to be able to hear every guitar note perfectly was something new.Turned out to be one hell of a night, and would put it at my No3 behind Clapton & Bonamassa both at the RAH. Seen GG 4 more times since at smaller venues but still was a great show.

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:52 pm

First saw Gordon at the Bury Met Theatre (when he was with Woody Mann), then at Bramall Hall (a few times) then at the Atkinson in Southport with Four Parts Guitar....

Gordon - I bet you still remember me wearing that T-Shirt with me and you on it when you were at the Bury Met... I always wear it for your concerts! (last seen at Southport!)
Tom McCauley

Harrysong

Postby Harrysong » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:35 am

I have seen Gordon play a few times over the years. The first time was at Glastonbury Festival in 1981 as I recall.
Gordon, did you have some connection with a musical instrument shop called "Fiddlers Green" in Leicester?

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:01 am

Harrysong wrote:I have seen Gordon play a few times over the years. The first time was at Glastonbury Festival in 1981 as I recall.
Gordon, did you have some connection with a musical instrument shop called "Fiddlers Green" in Leicester?

Hi Harry.

I have no memory of that shop buddy.

Be well.

G

Return to “Gordon's Music”