When / where did you first see Gordon play?

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: When / where did you first see Gordon play?

Postby GORDON » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:38 pm

Wow Ray what a set list,and what a great night it was,one of THE great memories of my life.THE best audience on the planet.THANK YOU for that memory sir.

Be well.

G.

mid57

Postby mid57 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:11 pm

I,m a late comer to Gordon,s work but was fortunate to catch him playing in Chelmsford last week with Oliver Wakeman and what a superb evening it was really enjoyed gig as did my wife and we look forward to hopefully seeing you again next time your in town. have ordered my copy of Ravens and Lullabies from amazon and looking forward to its arrival. in mean time I bought a copy of sound techniques DVD to see if I can improve my guitar playing by seeing how Gordon does what he does and try and copy some of it (I Wish)

Lee Carter

Postby Lee Carter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi everyone. My name's Lee and I'm new to Gordon's music and this site! Anyway, I first saw Gordon play on 24th May at All Hallows Church Nottingham courtesy of my father in law buying me a ticket for my birthday. That night, that concert completely changed my life. Up until that point I had been playing electric guitar, purely rock/metal for about 22yrs. Never once had I considered or even bothered with acoustic. I was obsessed with playing as fast as possible, ripping out sweep picked arpegios at break neck speed, studying the likes of Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve vai and other such players. How ignorant had I been! Seen many concerts and many great players but nothing and no one like Mr Giltrap! I was and infact still am blown away but what I witnessed that evening! Since then it has been no more metal for me, purchased an acoustic guitar (wanted a GG signature model but couldn't afford one! Gutted!) and started teaching myself from scratch! It is so liberating as a player and so exciting to be a beginner again and its all down to Mr Gordon Giltrap! Can't wait to see him play again! All I got to do now is save some more pennies and purchase all his material! Hmmm? How long until Christmas?
Anyway, take care everyone and I hope to be seen frequently here from now on!

Lee.

Roger

Postby Roger » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:32 pm

Hi Lee and a warm welcome to the forum!

As you say Gordon is a great acoustic guitar player, surely one of the best of his generation, but check out his electric playing too - his Fear of the Dark album, The Dodo's Dream and of course the recent Ravens and Lullabies CD with Oliver Wakeman :D

Roger

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:19 am

Lee Carter wrote:Hi everyone. My name's Lee and I'm new to Gordon's music and this site! Anyway, I first saw Gordon play on 24th May at All Hallows Church Nottingham courtesy of my father in law buying me a ticket for my birthday. That night, that concert completely changed my life. Up until that point I had been playing electric guitar, purely rock/metal for about 22yrs. Never once had I considered or even bothered with acoustic. I was obsessed with playing as fast as possible, ripping out sweep picked arpegios at break neck speed, studying the likes of Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve vai and other such players. How ignorant had I been! Seen many concerts and many great players but nothing and no one like Mr Giltrap! I was and infact still am blown away but what I witnessed that evening! Since then it has been no more metal for me, purchased an acoustic guitar (wanted a GG signature model but couldn't afford one! Gutted!) and started teaching myself from scratch! It is so liberating as a player and so exciting to be a beginner again and its all down to Mr Gordon Giltrap! Can't wait to see him play again! All I got to do now is save some more pennies and purchase all his material! Hmmm? How long until Christmas?
Anyway, take care everyone and I hope to be seen frequently here from now on!

Lee.

Hi Lee.

Sounds like I could learn a lot " technique" wise from you re the electric guitar as I very much admire all the sweep picking and metal stuff.The funny thing is that more and more of these sort of players appear to admire what I do.Maybe it's because we are SO far apart in style and approach to the instrument...who knows? Either way I'm extremely flattered and I thank you.

Be well.

G.

Lee Carter

Postby Lee Carter » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:13 pm

Wow! On 2 counts! First count. I actually got a reply from Gordon himself! Was not expecting that in the slightest, nor was I expecting or ever would have expected him to say it sounds like he could learn a lot from me technique wise re the electric guitar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mr Giltrap you ended your message saying you were extremely flattered......well sir you have no idea how flattered I am by you merely typing such a thing so thank you very much, but rest assured, I have seen you play and there is nothing I could possibly bring to the table. I'm sure you have forgotten more than I will ever know!

And second count. A big thank you also to Roger. Thank you very much for your welcome and also your recommendations re Gordons electric playing. I will be sure to check them out.

Will be back here again soon, no doubt getting on everyones nerves asking questions you have all been asked thousands of times, but please bare with me I'm just a humble beginner with this wonderful instrument!

Take care all,

Lee.

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:00 am

Hello Lee - welcome to the forum :-)

Gordon's music is highly addictive - once you start listening, you cannot stop (at least that is what I experience).
By the end of this month special reissues of three great albums of Gordon Giltrap will be available and there are some really great electric guitar pieces on each of them.

All the best,
Piotr

Roger

Postby Roger » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:34 pm

piotrwargan wrote:By the end of this month special reissues of three great albums of Gordon Giltrap will be available and there are some really great electric guitar pieces on each of them.

Piotr

Piotr/Lee,

Exciting times for us just around the corner I think :D

Best to you both,

Roger

Lee Carter

Postby Lee Carter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi Piotr,

Thank you for the welcome and the heads up about the reissues of Gordons albums.

Take care,

Lee.

RKLYMER

Postby RKLYMER » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:34 pm

Well I 'discovered' Gordon late one night on Telly (can't remember exactly but it may have been on TOTP2) when a recording of him playing Heartsong (not the TOTP version, but a much later recording that must have been about 10 years ago now) was shown. I was amazed and when discussions of who could play at St Mary's Alsager were going on I was one(there were others) who suggested him. I do not profess to be an avid fan and I've never played guitar, but having been to the concert last Friday I was totally bowled over.

Now I am immersed in listening to some of the music i was exposed to at the concert and I am thinking of taking my eldest son (who is 9) to the upcoming Stafford performance.

As for the show itself it was immediately apparent that I was being treated to a masterclass in guitar playing. Although I only knew a couple of tunes the sheer variety of the techniques,sounds and effects was enough to make a massive impression. The additional humor, accessibility and warmth made it a wonderful evening.

I was slightly upset to hear that my hero Brian May only made a cursory 'Gordon Rocks' contribution verses Richie Blackmore's more glowing report on your website so I have written to Dr May requesting more substance (seeing as Gordon looks like a Badger I think it's the least he could do).

Thank you for coming and playing in my hometown of Alsager, From the ovation you deservedly received I believe you are more than welcome to return.

Warmest Regards

Richard

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:41 pm

Hi Richard.

My report on the concert IN THIS MONTHS news,really says it all.

A terrific night for me and obviously for you also.

I thank you sir.

Be Well.

G.

BrettQuays

Postby BrettQuays » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:03 pm

I first saw Gordon play at Loughbrough University - must have been between 1976 and 1978 - not sure exactly. I had Visionary which was played a lot - especially when I was working on my dissertation on William Blake.

I rediscovered the music when I replaced the vinyl with a CD.

I still find Gordon's music inspirational, because it is all about the music - whether it's composed or arranged.

Brett

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:16 pm

BrettQuays wrote:I first saw Gordon play at Loughbrough University - must have been between 1976 and 1978 - not sure exactly. I had Visionary which was played a lot - especially when I was working on my dissertation on William Blake.

I rediscovered the music when I replaced the vinyl with a CD.

I still find Gordon's music inspirational, because it is all about the music - whether it's composed or arranged.

Brett

Gawd Bless Yer for those kind words Brett, really appreciate it my friend.

Be well.

G

alessandro64

Postby alessandro64 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:48 pm

well.....I'm officially glad to say that a sort of a "meeting-Gordon" halo-effect is lasting through the days after my divine experience in Lydney.... I can't see any further reason why, I being mainly a singer and a keyboard player, have re-joined the world of guitars...and have bought recently a new amp for my electric gtr, with which I'm having much fun...
And even if it's surely not the best track to get in touch with electric sound after years and years (atmosphere becomes hugely different..) I felt so moved in playing "Pastoral" intro, which I learnt when I was 17... :-)
it came so natural playin' it. This is just the matter of it!

Hello to all
Alessandro

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:30 am

alessandro64 wrote:well.....I'm officially glad to say that a sort of a "meeting-Gordon" halo-effect is lasting through the days after my divine experience in Lydney.... I can't see any further reason why, I being mainly a singer and a keyboard player, have re-joined the world of guitars...and have bought recently a new amp for my electric gtr, with which I'm having much fun...
And even if it's surely not the best track to get in touch with electric sound after years and years (atmosphere becomes hugely different..) I felt so moved in playing "Pastoral" intro, which I learnt when I was 17... :-)
it came so natural playin' it. This is just the matter of it!

Hello to all
Alessandro

Hello Alessandro.

I'm really pleased for you and glad to have inspired this my friend.

Love to you both.

G.

Return to “Gordon's Music”