When / where did you first see Gordon play?

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

Colin Welfare

Re: When / where did you first see Gordon play?

Postby Colin Welfare » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:39 am

Well I could go on about the ‘Sixties’ but I have forgotten a lot of it!

However it was probably 1963 when at a pub in Blackheath Road, Greenwich South-east London, where my friends Bill & his sister Frances McGillivray were playing in their band that, in their break, Gordon did his bit.

A friend, Chris Morris, stayed to listen & then came out to the garden & got me to go back in. I think Gordon was playing his Hagstrom 12 string. We listened in admiration & I have never stopped feeling that way about Gordon’s playing and composing and am proud to say we have remained good friends to this day.

I think we, Chris and I, were responsible for Gordon giving up being a photographers’ assistant and turning into a professional musician. We were all a bit scared of that decision, but I seriously believe that Gordon had to take that chance, I hope he, with the passage of time, still thinks it was the right choice. Well he hasn’t done bad has he.

I remember showing Gordon the basic way to play Angie, which I still can’t manage from start to finish myself, and as we know today 5th October, 2011 we lost the great man Bert Jansch who’s rendition set the bench mark!

Michael Ayre and myself spent a day with Gordon and Don Partridge, and the other members of Accolade, to take some publicity ‘photos for their album. Don was not co-operative so we took another later opportunity to take individual pictures and so one of my very high contrast pictures of Gordon ended up on the back of ‘A Testament of Time’ LP.

One day in 1970 Gordon was asked if he could get to Leeds University for a performance in support of The Strawbs. We managed to get there as the show was starting. Gordon went on as the last act of the first half. As he gave his perfomance which was as usual ‘Brilliant’ he came to the last number, when he addressed the audience saying “ As I usually perform in folk clubs when I get to this point I ask if there are any requests?” Someone then shouted “Fast Approaching!” Knowing he hadn’t played this for a year or two I laughed at him from the wings, he cooley looked in my direction and smiled and played a blinder! Afterwards when the lights came up and we saw the size of the audience which staggered us both, he said to me quietly “I’ve been practising….” Yeah right, as if you need to I thought.

I took Gordon to Top of the Pops, as at that time he still didn’t drive, for his groups performance of Heartsong. Pan’s People were great, not so impressed by Terry Wogan!

The last time I saw Gordon perform was at the Winter Gardens, Ventnor, now on the DVD with the Troubadour CD, a cracking performance as usual.

Sadly the Winter Gardens has been closed by the local IW council who own the building,another venue lost for live performances.
Colin & Jill

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:31 am

Dear Colin.

I had tears welling up reading your lovely posting. I had forgotten much of it (forgive me) and looking back on those times did indeed make me think.

With regard to giving up the job....it wasn't difficult, but in between I did work as a bricklayer's labourer for 18 months and then worked in Cheesman's department store for about 6 months (you remember it well) but finally went out for an extended three hour lunch break at the pub and was of course sacked!. The following week I was on the radio, so it was all systems go.

Certainly no regrets. Music has given me everything, and Bert Jansch gave me the direction and the vision.

I received an e-mail from a guy yesterday saying that how sad it is that in all the tributes to dear Bert do you see my name mentioned anywhere as one of the many 'names' that were influenced by him? I find that sad in many ways because from the very word go I have made it clear and never lost the opportunity to say what a debt of gratitude I owed to this unassuming genius and friend.

Colin...THANKYOU for that posting. In all honesty I never truly realised how highly you regard me, and for that I'm very touched.

Be Well old friend and my best to you Both.

G.

fj1200

Postby fj1200 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Hmmmm........ not exactly sure of the dates, but probably like a lot of people, I came to know about Gordon's music during the Perilous Journey period, no doubt because it was on the radio a lot, and also it became the theme music for the BBC Holiday programme. The concert was at the Bristol Colston Hall. I was extremely impressed with how well the music was played and to be honest, although I was inspired to play the guitar, I was also equally disappointed that I probably would never be able to play as well, and that has been proven true, but I still like to play although, I still want to be a lot better than I am.

Thanks for all the music over the years, and I hope to see Gordon Live again, but as i now live In the US, I will have to time my next UK visit carefully to coincide with a live performance.

Chris

aviator

Postby aviator » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:31 pm

This is my first posting, and Sue suggested I replicate an email I'd sent to her on this thread.

I first saw Gordon…when, I can't (precisely) remember. I think it was Glastonbury in 1981 and it was the afternoon immediately after my A-level history exam, in fact the last day at school! He was on stage with an ‘electric’ band including Bimbo Acock on sax and John Gufstafson (from Roxy Music) on bass. Absolutely terrific, and I’ve even seen a film of me in the standing front row, taken from the stage. I’d actually been buying Gordon’s music long before then, and I can recollect getting ‘Fear of the Dark’ as a birthday present, when I was 14 or 15.

The next time was sometime in the early 1980s in London. Once again can’t remember the venue but it might have been somewhere in Charing Cross Road, with a week of British guitarists playing the venue, one-a-night. I ended-up though with a signed copy of the ‘Airwaves’ LP, which I still have.

Then I vaguely remember a show Gordon did at a trade demo fair in Earls Court.

And then a long gap until I saw him at Bramall Hall in Hazel Grove a few years ago ( I live just three miles from Bramall Hall, which is rather convenient), when he signed a copy of the VoicePrint book for me. He'd just got to grips with his new Boss ME-10 and that was a constant source of amusement between numbers, particularly when Gordon recounted how he had purchased it in a Birmingham music shop. Something like;

Shop Assistant (young, with a broad Brum accent): Well, what kinda music do you play?

GG: Well I tend to play in the style of Gordon Giltrap.

Shop Assistant: Never 'eard of 'im

I can’t say I’ve kept in touch, as in recent years I’ve been working in Eire and The Netherlands (where I successfully introduced Gordon’s music to an audience he probably doesn’t know exists).

Whilst away I cracked open the Voiceprint book and have managed to play a few of the easier tracks on a cheap 6-string I purchased in Galway for €100. I’m currently trying to get ‘Roots Pt 1’ up-to-speed but can’t play A Dublin Day for love-or-money.

Later this year I have a big birthday (not saying but it is probably easy-to-calculate based on previous dates) coming up and the missus has allowed me a substantial budget. I’m aiming to either purchase a British-built 6-string acoustic or the Vintage GG model and a 12-string, possibly even the GG model, plus a small-wattage acoustic amp.

aviator

stevegreeny2

Postby stevegreeny2 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Probably somewhere in a folk club in the NW in the 70s - but Gordon really came to my attention through the now infamous Transatlantic LP - Contemporary Guitar Sampler Vol 2.
When I heard Lucifer's Cage I thought wow! ( although String Guitars for two people by Ron Geesin - I thought .. wierd!)
At the time I couldn't understand how someone could make that sound out of a guitar.
This LP with Gordon, Bert and John and Stefan Grossman started me on a love of playing solo acoustic guitar which I have just returned to after a long lay-off. (I now have a lovely Taylor 214CE). They were my guitar heroes ... along with Davey!
Love playing and arranging/interpreting some of Gordon' s pieces such as Heartsong, On Camber Sands (yep got the delay pedal!), Maddy Goes West, Dublin Day, Ecchoing Green, The Racer, Isobella's Wedding ...

Have all Gordon's early LPs/CDs and now catching up with his more recent artistic work.

Saw Gordon a few years back at the Dent Folk Festival and really enjoyed his show.

Keep up the good work Gordon!

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi Steve.

What a lovely posting sir and THANKYOU.

You know I still feel like the new kid on the block when people speak of those early Transatlantic days,but of course all these years on that certainly isn't the case,but if truth be told I was and still am in awe of the great Renbourn,and certainly was in dear Bert's case right up until his passing, and with his passing the memory of those great things he created linger on in my mind and ever shall do.

I feel proud to say " I was there and I knew these legendary people" who eventually became my friends.

I hope you continue to enjoy listening and playing my music.

I feel very flattered by this I really do, and those feelings will never change.

A funny old life eh Steve.

Be Well sir.

G.

VintageFan

Postby VintageFan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:24 pm

Hello everyone,

Well I guess you can call me the "newbie on the block" :)
I'm Sander, 39, husband and father, living in the Netherlands.
I just recently "discovered" Gordon thanks to Youtube. I was searching for video's containing the Vintage AV3P guitar. I was looking to buy one, as a beginning guitar player it looked to me like the best bang for the buck. I didn't find many video's, just a handful actually, and one of them was Gordon playing "Dodo's Dream"!

Looking forward to hearing more! I've already checked the schedule but it doesn't look like Gordon will be paying a venue on this side of the channel very soon, though. I guess I'll have to save up some cash and visit the UK. :)

Oh by the way, I did buy the Vintage AV3P, same color too! Tobacco sunburst :)
With kind regards,
Sander

Beginning guitar player :)
My gear:
Vintage AV3p
Epiphone Wilshire RI
Egnater Tweaker 15H
Ibanez TSA12C cabinet
No FX pedals yet!

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:42 pm

Welcome to the FORUM Sander you're most welcome.

G.

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:17 am

Hi Sander and welcome to the Forum
I don't know if you found this one on my YouTube site. You'll be after the Boss 20XL loop station next then :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiG8aa-8 ... ature=plcp

Be well
Bob
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

Roger

Postby Roger » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:20 pm

Hello Sander and a warm welcome to you!

Best wishes,

Roger

VintageFan

Postby VintageFan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:28 pm

Thank you all for the friendly welcome!
With kind regards,
Sander

Beginning guitar player :)
My gear:
Vintage AV3p
Epiphone Wilshire RI
Egnater Tweaker 15H
Ibanez TSA12C cabinet
No FX pedals yet!

Richie

Postby Richie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:16 pm

I have known of Gordon for a long time, but never a fan. That changed when i first stumbled on his Appalachian Dreaming on i-tunes. I then bought the album As It Happens. Listening to him talk through his show on this album makes you feel as though you have known him for years. I then found out that he was appearing in Fareham and booked tickets to see him this year (2012) where i also met him. Since the show, where i bought his Sound Techniques DVD, i have also bought Drifter, Giltrap & Taylor, Troubadour, From Brush to Stone and my favourite....Gordon's signature guitar. I can not wait to see him again, he is certainly inspirational and a genuine all round nice guy.

keithmeredith

Postby keithmeredith » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:24 pm

Welcome, Ritchie.

You have discovered what many of us have known for some time.

Keith

suzisocks

Postby suzisocks » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:02 pm

I first heard Gordon at the Arts Centre Evesham (Prince Henry's High School), in aid of the Tracy Sollis Appeal. He later wrote a track for a CD to raise funds for her appeal(The Gift of Life- I think the CD was called). I very much enjoyed his music then and would love to attend a concert again,to hear his collaboration with Oliver.

ray in glasgow

Postby ray in glasgow » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:23 pm

Date: - 18th November 1978
Location - The world famous Glasgow Apollo

Setlist
1 Awakening
2 Robes and Crowns
3 Quest
4 The Deserter
5 Fast Approaching
6 Morbio Gorge
7 Catwalk Blues
8 Melancholly Lullaby
9 From the four winds
10 Roots (pts 1 and 2)
11 Nightrider
12 Inner Dream - featuring Shirley Rodin on vocals
13 Fear Of The Dark
14 Visitation
15 Heartsong
16 Lucifers Cage
17 Nightrider
18 Heartsong

Since then I have seen THE MAN in Edinburgh, Paisley, Cumbernauld, Renfrew Ferry, Sound Control Guitar shop (Glasgow) and Birmingham Symphony Hall

You would be welcome back in Scotland any time GG

Return to “Gordon's Music”