When / where did you first see Gordon play?

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

hybridpicker

Postby hybridpicker » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:39 pm

I first saw Gordon playing at Les Cousins in Soho sometime in the 60s. I remember thinking that he didn't look too comfortable on the stage; of course, he was singing back then and I think he lacked confidence in his vocal numbers.
The next time I saw Gordon - a few years later - it was like seeing a different person. He was so assured on the stage and oused self-confidence.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:31 pm

You speak the truth sir. Have a good Christmas.

G.

Mark Rose

In a Lincolnshire village hall

Postby Mark Rose » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:57 am

I had the pleasure of first seeing Gordon live during his World tour of Lincolnshire village halls. A superb live and entertaining evening it was, despite being the hottest evening of the summer, Gordon entertained as only he does.
This led me to book Gordon for the Spalding Guitar Festival- a truly different setting but yet again what a performance. Not only a fine musician but a gentleman and a pleasure to be with along with his lovely wife.
No doubt we shall book him again, as so often his performance is mentioned to me, even in Tesco 2 years later!
I'm grateful that as a bass player I do not need to worry about any comparison! However on tour with my band our guitarist has frequently heard GG on the CD of the van......... just to keep him up to the mark you understand.
Best wishes
Mark Rose

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:08 pm

Hello Mark.

What a fond memory it was sir, and what a lovely family you have.

Anytime you want to book GG again I would be delighted.

Sincere and Warm Regards to you and the family and here's to a good new year.

G.

andyp

Re: When / where did you first see Gordon play?

Postby andyp » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi

First of all perhaps I should introduce myself as a first time poster. I'm Andy from Stourbridge in the West Midlands. I had heard Heartsong and seen Gordon on Top of the Pops but then I heard a show on radio one in the late seventies - can't remember what it was called but bands/artists did a short half hour set. Gordon and his band concentrated on stuff from Fear of the Dark - notably Fast Approaching, Nightrider (which was superb) and Inner Dream plus a few from the Visionary album. I loved it and immediately went out and bought Fear of the Dark from WH Smiths in Wolverhampton - soon followed by Perilous Journey and Visionary.

Gordon I didn't get round to seeing you live until much later - a few years ago in Stourbridge - where I had the pleasure of a quick chat with you in the interval while I grabbed myself a copy of your latest CD. I have to say that Camber Sands is a particular favourite of mine from that set of material. I then enjoyed that wonderful night at the Symphony Hall, and likewise the concert you did with Rick Wakeman, Raymond Burley et al at Birmingham Town Hall.

However sadly my friend Chris, a fellow fan who accompanied me to these gigs, passed away soon after. Nevertheless my son and I happened to be in the vicinity of Birmingham's Jewellery a while ago and we sneaked in to see you perform as part of an art exhibition going on there.

In fact you have now gained another fan in my son Ben (aged 14). He is a keen violinist and appreciates good playing of any instrument.

Over the last couple of weeks we have acquired my Mum's old music centre complete with turntable and have retrieved and dusted down all my old vinyl LPs - and have greatly enjoyed hearing all the old favourites again in glorious Dolby stereo - Morbio Gorge, Nightrider and Revelation in particular.

Hope to catch you sometime soon when you play in our nack of the woods - and who knows I might manage to get Ben along too. If so we will come and make ourselves known to you

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:45 am

Hello Andy.

Thankyou SO much for that wonderfully worded posting. SO sad to hear of the loss of a friend, but gratefull that he was a part of your being re-introduced to my live concerts.

I indeed look forward to seeing you and Ben at a concert some time in the futre.

Be Well Sir.

G.

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Fri May 27, 2011 6:50 pm

Autumn 1981

Henryk Tomaszewski Pantomime Theatre, Gordon Giltrap and King Arthur

The autumn of 1981 in Poland was a strange time... The then communist regime was taking a hard line towards the Solidarity and our short spell of freedom was coming to a bitter end (martial law introduced on 13 December 1981). I was 18 and in the final class of the high school − before me and my friends there were the final examinations and the university (or an army service). One day someone was talking with excitement about a play he saw at the theatre − the title was „The Knights of King Arthur” and it was a pantomime, but in no way a classic one. It had rich costumes, great music. So, more people got curious and we bought tickets for the next performance. I got so impressed with this play, that all in all I saw it about five times during a decade when it was staged (about once every two years) when the Wroclaw Pantomime Theatre would come back from another world tour and grace their own town with some performance.

Music was very important: it created the mood and was so well suited to the scenes that it was almost incredible that it was not composed for purpose!

The music of the following composers was used (and is listed in the leaflet in this order): Gordon Giltrap, Johann Nepomuk Hummel, Richard Wagner and Bogdan Dominik.

And how it would sound! In a dark theatre, played loud and from professional HiFi equipment. Just imagine Lucifer’s Cage, Revelation - full band version! It was sending shivers down my spine − and the scene was involving Mordred and his not very pleasant doings. And so much more...

So the play and the music was about love, heroes, human lives. It was dramatic, touching deep feelings. It has stayed with me since then, but for a long time I had no idea whose music was the one that I loved the most − I could be sure it was too modern for Wagner or Hummel (that one sounds old too), but who were Dominik and Giltrap?

Once, in mid-1980s the play was shown on TV. We were at a party and I knew that it will be on our channel 2. The girl whose home was a “victim” of our meeting had some cassettes that I lent her, so I thought maybe I could tape the music (video was not a common thing at that time). The sound from TV’s channel 2 was possible to catch on the radio, so I tried. Nothing. Then my friend from the Technical University came to action, and we changed cables to improve the recording abilities of the stereo system of poor Malgorzata (I still have this old cassette with fragments of the music).

How did I know it was Gordon Giltrap? The Internet is the answer! Anyway, how was it possible without it before...

Several years ago I found a site where it was possible to purchase Gordon’s records and also listen to samples. Then I learned that my all time favourites come from Visionary (Gordon sent me a signed copy of Visionary several years ago!).

Oh yes, the topic was about live performance. I have not seen Gordon live yet, but I often listen to the CD As it Happens :-) , and ... I have two tickets for 16 September in St. Ives, so...

till then :-)

Piotr

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat May 28, 2011 4:50 pm

Hello my friend.

Thank you so much for your posting.

I feel very honoured AND touched by your memories of my music.

I look forward very much to meeting you and trust that GG live lives up to your expectations.

Be Well.

Gordon.

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:21 pm

What a great post! I really enjoyed reading that and it once again shows the power of the Internet, in this case helping to bring memories to life. Wonderful. :D

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:28 am

Dear Gordon, Dear Andrew,
Thank you for such kind words - I am honoured to be on this forum, happy to share these memories - and the Internet - well, it is a wonder simply :-)
Bye,
Piotr

Rob B

Postby Rob B » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:25 pm

The first time I saw Gordon live was at school! I reckon I must have had some pretty special teachers for them to be able to persuade a top-20 artist to come and play there. This was Tiffin School in Kingston, SW London, and I reckon it must have been around 1976-1977ish.

Now fast forward to the second time. A week last sunday (2nd July 2011) at Bishop Walsh School in Sutton!!

Do I win the prize for longest duration between gigs?

Shouldn't be so greedy, the last gig was a fundraiser and I did win TWO of the raffle prizes.

But its really all about Gordon's music. I confess I have no musical ability whatsoever, but it has that amazing ability to send you to a whole different plane.

YouTube is all very well for catching up with artistes and pieces of music you want to be reminded of, but there's nothing like the real LIVE deal.

Thank you Gordon for your generosity in support of Catherine and a wonderful evening.

Best Regards, Rob

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:19 pm

Hi Rob.

May I ask you...Was that concert all those years ago in a trio format with Rod Edwards and Richard Harvey?

Glad you enjoyed the Bishop Walsh concert my friend.

Be Well.

G.

Rob B

Postby Rob B » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Dear Gordon,

Thanks for your response. Alas, so many years ago, the memory fades. But, yes, I recollect you were joined on stage to form a trio for at least part of the gig.

Does that help narrow the timeframe to a particular year?

So glad to see you'll be at Birmingham Town Hall later in the year. Haven't been there yet - now you've given me the perfect excuse!

Best Regards, Rob

Trevor Rolf

Postby Trevor Rolf » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:38 pm

My first real hearing of Gordon was through the much acclaimed Perilous Journey and of course Heartsong.
Did'nt get to see Gordon until 22nd July 2010 at the Brook theatre Chatham.
I had heard a lot about his live performances from friends who had seen him all said brilliant shows.
Well I cannot disagree it was a fantastic night ,my wife and I both have wide tastes in music but Gordon IS in a class of his own .Saw him again last Saterday (9th July 2011) brilliant again,and such an easy person to talk to no look at me I'm a superstar.Looking forward to the next time

Regards Trevor

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:20 pm

A reply to Rob B.

I have been reliably informed by a good friend that the year was 1980. An evening with Gordon Giltrap and friends!

So there you have it...mystery solved or more to the poInt.... memory....grin.

Be Well.

G.

Return to “Gordon's Music”