When / where did you first see Gordon play?

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

Harrysong

Re: When / where did you first see Gordon play?

Postby Harrysong » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:26 am

Aaaah, my mistake.

Nickswitz

Postby Nickswitz » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:22 pm

I first heard Gordon in 1982 or 1983 when he became my
guitar teacher when I was 13 or 14 at school.
I had no idea who he was or what he had done apart from
my foster mother banging on about the Holiday program
theme track.

I then bought the live album at the time and played it
to death. My tastes in music have broadened immensely
since then, but there is something that always makes
me listen to him 3 or 4 times a month.

GalebG4

Postby GalebG4 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:41 pm

A couple days ago, to be quite honest :oops: I've somehow missed this immense musician even by going through many music shops in my high school and university years (although that was already quite some time ago!) but one of my friends finally lent me In At The Deep End and... I now feel like I must catch up!
So, I joined this forum, and will now proceed to learn more about Gordon himself as I think it'll help me understand how and why his songs and style evolved the way they did during his long career.

Nottingham Boy David

Postby Nottingham Boy David » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:21 pm

First saw Gordon as a Support act to Amazing Blondel at Nottingham University in 1973. It was one of the most interesting and entertaining support sets I have ever seen.

The problem for all support acts at the Uni was that whilst they were playing the Disco on the next floor down was in full swing and very loud as was the bar just down from the stage which added to the noise level. Most times I saw support artist they just put up with it but not our Gordon. After a couple of pieces Gordon he was clearly annoyed by people standing at the bar talking loudly but also with people in the audience talking amongst themselves as he played. I clearly remember him saying “I would appreciate those of you who are talking whilst I am playing to either go to the Disco or just stay quiet “

This made me warm to Gordon as I had enjoyed the first pieces and appreciated the ability to listen to more without having to complete with the noise. Some people grumbled a bit but most decided to listen.

As he played more pieces I really began to enjoy Gordon’s style of playing and technique and the quality of the pieces he played and thought I would be investigating finding some of his albums at my local record store in Nottingham. However 2 things then happened that made me a fan forever.

First was when I heard Gordon play Lucifer’s Cage and I was totally blown away by this piece especially as I got to hear it twice. This was because whilst playing unfortunately Gordon broke a string. Unperturbed at not having any spares he just took the equivalent string from his 12 string and then played it again. Boy was I impressed.

Second was at the end of the set Gordon finished with a piece on the 11 string guitar which was brilliant and impressed the hell out of me even more. I have never seen anything like it from that day to this.

The set was appreciated by all there given the earlier noise battle and the battle around the lack of strings but I will always remember that gig as becoming fascinated by the music, the man and the way he played with passion and style.

I was hooked from that evening and have been ever since. It was a unique first gig from a great guitarist I have seen many times since and have the honour of calling a friend.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:04 pm

BLESS YA BUDDY.xxx

Kevdav0

Postby Kevdav0 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:04 pm

Hi everyone and thank you so much for letting me join the group .
I was first introduced to Gordon when I was 13 years of age at Bearsden Academy by a friend .
It was his Fear of the Dark album . I even did a talk at the school on the Album and received an A for it !!

Fear of the Dark is very special to me . I became seriously ill in 2005 and ended up in a coma with septicaemia . The nurse said to my wife bring in some of his favourite music it may help , so she brought in Fear of the dark on CD as well as some others . They played the cd for hours and when I came round ,visionary was playing and I said to the Dr “ I know that tune “. He turned to my wife and said “ he’s going to be ok .

A day or two later I made up my mind I had to return to guitar playing and when I got out from hospital I bought a Les Paul and worked very hard to learn the solo on visionary ( the track ) .

I would be very interested to know what guitar Gordon used on that track for the solo .
The fear of the dark period has some top musicians on it especially a young Simon Phillips who’s drumming is outstanding .

Gordon it would be so good if you could tour these 3 albums in the future .
I’m 57 by the way and now never take anything for granted . Life is a gift so live it to the Max

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:12 pm

Hi Kev.

Thankyou so much for that beautiful posting.

I’m deeply touched by your amazing story.Believe it or not I didn’t own an electric guitar at the time of recording Visionary!I borrowed a very nice Telecaster for the recording.I have no idea who owned it or where it came from.I think the solo may have been improvised in the studio but can’t swear to it.Later on I used a Yamaha SG 2000,my John Bailey twin neck and I think for Fear if the Dark a Gibson Les Paul custom.Beyond that it was a Yamaha 335 style guitar and then an early 70’s Strat.

Hope this answers those questions.

Be Well.

G.

Kevdav0

Postby Kevdav0 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:59 pm

Thank you so much for your reply .
I just realised I had got the track name wrong . It was “visitation” not visionary as that’s an album however the solo on visitation would have to go into my all time top 5 Solos .

Kevin

Steve Gibb

Postby Steve Gibb » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:01 pm

Very happy to have found this site - and thanks Sue for letting me in :)

I was a humble classical guitar student sometime in the 80's either in Edinburgh or London doing my classical guitar studies when on a visit home to Inverness my mum told me about a concert at Eden Court Theatre with Gordon Giltrap and his band. On a stormy Highland night I got a ticket and went to the gig. Perhaps due to the weather it wasn't sold out but it was a superb and memorable gig. Not long in, the power to the stage died and Gordon and his band had to stop. However, he told the audience to come down closer to the stage and the band finished the concert unplugged!! It was a dazzling display of true professionalism and musicianship which has stuck with me all these years. I often cite this concert in interviews as a defining moment in my musical life. After the concert I got a few LP's (Peacock Party and Airwaves) and Gordon and the band signed them.

I tried transcribing a few pieces off the records and would stick them in my classical gigs over the years. Sometime in the 90's on tour I found his book 'A Special Collection' in a music store so I could check my work... I wasn't far off :)

Roll on several years and I now live in the US where I play on Broadway and tour with various folks. During the pandemic I 'finally' got off my backside and started recording my own fingerstyle tunes and arrangements (linked below in Spotify) and have started to re-learn some of Gordon's tunes to play in concert.

Anyway, enough rambling. If you are reading this Gordon, you probably won't remember that Inverness gig but it was a massive inspiration to me and your music is a joy to play and I wanted to say thank you.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:56 am

Dear Steve.

I was very very moved your posting.I have to say I have no memory of the concert but know that in all cases if possible the show must go on!!!I would love to know about the folk you now tour with and your musical life sounds very exciting.Thanks again.

Be well.

G.x

newlinp

Postby newlinp » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:34 am

Hi,

I first came into contact with Gordon Giltrap around 1970 when he came to visit friends at Post Green, Lytchett Minster. Followed his music and first concert I managed to get to was in Oxford - not sure if it was Perilous Journey or Fear of the Dark.
I have always been in awe of his playing and have long wanted to go to his concerts again - now retired I much more time to do this...

But I also remember watching TOTP when he performed Heartsong…. Still reminds me of the holiday program….

Return to “Gordon's Music”