All Time Favourite Giltrap Song?!

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

JamesHackett

All Time Favourite Giltrap Song?!

Postby JamesHackett » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:10 pm

Only recently discovered gordan and his wonderfull music and still have alot of songs that i havent listened to but, so far, i have to say..

...Appalachian Dreaming,

Fantastic song.

If i ever come to write music of this quality and standard id be very proud of myself,
Well done gordan

I look forward to seeing others views, Thanks

James

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:58 pm

It's never too late to discover Gordon! As for my favourite, well it is a very difficult choice. I love "The Dodo's Dream", "On Camber Sands", "The Lord's Seat", "Maddie Goes West" and the list continues...but if I were to be stranded on the old desert island with only one GG track then I think I would have to choose a full acoustic version of "Heartsong" (such as on the Huntingdon Hall concert DVD). Definitive GG at his very best.

fingerlock

Postby fingerlock » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:16 pm

Well its a difficult one for me too, but my all time fave is Pedrolino, not entirely sure why but it just "got me" the first time i heard it and i guess Running from home on the Janschology album.

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:04 am

Difficult is not the word! Mine changes from month to month :)
'Heartsong' is the piece that got me into Gordon's music and the Perilous Journey album, so that has a special place..
'Dodo', 'Splinter', Smiler and 'A Hint of Blue', are up there with 'The Lord's Seat, 'On Camber Sands', 'The Picnic', 'The Mariner's Tale', 'Em's Tune' and of course 'Heartsong' (has to be the full version, or '93) for different reasons.
I think the problem we all have is the number of pieces to choose from and how the music makes us feel dependant on our mood at the time.
Whenever I discover a new piece of Gordon's it becomes my favourite for a time :) I recently managed to get the 'Remember This' album and was totally blown away by Gordon's version of Layla, so that album and 'From Brush and Stone' are now played alternately in the car on a loop.
At the end of the day I can't say which piece is my favourite because Gordon hasn't stopped creating his music:) It may still be out there!

Roger

Postby Roger » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:35 pm

Hi Guys

You're right Bob, this is a VERY difficult question. Perhaps I should go and find out just exactly what my Zoom G2 pedal can do (I've had for nearly 3 years already!) - this should give me just enough time to decide on my favourite GG songs!!

Seriously though, "On Camber Sands", "Under this Blue Sky", "Em's Tune" and "Lucifer's Cage" are my acoustic favourites. I really think that LC has been enhanced recently when played live by the addition of the electric intro. "Sallie's Song" deserves a mention too - it was great to watch Gordon play it on the John Bailey double neck at Fareham. "Fear of the Dark", "Visitation" (with that superb solo) and the current version of "Dodo's Dream" are my electric choices.

If pushed I would give "Em's Tune"(and would do so even if it hadn't been composed by Gordon for my other half) and Dodo as my all-time choices. "Dodo's Dream" realised my own dream if you like of seeing and hearing Gordon play the electric guitar again, a cherry red Farida at Beech Village Hall in November 2006 - what a fantastic experience!!

Best to all,

Roger

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:01 am

Blimey! That's a tricky one. How on earth do you single just one out? Gulp.

If I had to "plump" I think it would be "Fast Approaching" from my fave GG album, "Fear of the Dark" although "Visitation" and "FotD" itself would be close runners too. Hey, FotD was my first serious exposure to GG and I think it will always be one of my Desert Island Discs.

As with others I think it's only fair to namecheck the others which would be vying for first place - and I should stress that the winner made it only by a nose. I'd have to say "Sallies Song" and "On Camber Sands" would be up there - they're both just so lovely. Certainly "Heartsong", in its original or acoustic form was a formative Giltrap piece for me. However, the one which is most likely to nudge into first place would be "The Lords Seat" - particualrly the version on "Music from the Small Screen" - which remains one of the most wistful and haunting pieces of music I've ever heard!

Roger

Postby Roger » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:02 pm

Well said Trevor - us FOtD fans should stick together!!

Gordon, just wondering if you still have the said Farida (and the green one too!)?

scottj1

favourite composition

Postby scottj1 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:08 pm

this is a tough question but i'll go for awakenings/robes from the gg band period and elegy for a solo piece.

Plenz

Postby Plenz » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:58 pm

My absolute favorite is Roots (Part II) from "Fear Of The Dark". It has such a lovely melodiy, and it is glorious how ther guitar and the piano play together.

Also Fear Of The Dark is a great composition and also Lucifers Cage.

From the non-orchestral albums I like Down The River.
youtube.com/watch?v=2pWQS__dW18

Pauline

Postby Pauline » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:07 pm

I would most probably choose Heartsong for my Desert Island Discs list - it's so uplifting! And Appalachian Dreaming is beautiful. Also very high up on my list, if not written by Gordon, are Here Comes the Sun and Martin Taylor's wonderful Green Lady as featured on A MAtter of Time cd. These all do it for me every time.

Lu_B

Postby Lu_B » Sat May 09, 2009 9:13 pm

Roots from Fear of The Dark - as a stroppy teenager I heard my Dad playing it on his hi-fi and thought that's interesting!

Didn't let the old man know as I was obliged to say his taste in music was lame :lol: Me being into Wham and Duran Duran at the time!

But I secretly taped this album (yes tape - remember that) along with Friday Night In San Francisco by John McLaughlin, Paco de Lucia and Al di Meola.

To this day there still my two favourite go to albums.

Return to “Gordon's Music”