Double Vision DVD review

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

coling

Double Vision DVD review

Postby coling » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:31 am

A review from the Dutch Progressive Rock Pages (www.dprp.net) of Gordon and Ray's DVD. They've long been admirers of our hero.

"Gosh this review has been a long time coming! Now there have been occasions in the past, (not too many I hasten to add), when I have made this similar remark, whilst offering a rather lame explanation as to why a review of a certain CD or DVD has taken so long to emerge. Sometimes reflective of the time needed to fully appreciate the depth or perhaps complexity of the music on offer. Here it is merely the sheer enjoyment of the music which has meant each time I sat down to put pen to paper, I have become immersed in the performance. Then to find time had run out... so this review has been written without the music of Gordon Giltrap & Raymond Burley playing - what a shame.

Double Vision | In Vision is perhaps the natural progression to the 2004 CD release Double Vision. Featuring many of the tunes from that CD, Messrs Giltrap & Burley have taken this music into two different settings. The first is Stickford Church - performed to an audience of Calor gas stoves (you'll have to buy the DVD to find out why) and the second (with audience) at Fulston Manor. A glance at the track listing will reveal a similar set-list for both and possibly the perception that this may not be a value for money purchase. However the performances compliment each other very nicely and offer enough variation to warrant two similar sets be included.

Many, I hope, will be familiar with Gordon Giltrap - progressively speaking - releasing several highly regarded instrumental albums in the late Sixties and early Seventies. Since then he has travelled a different path and concentrated his efforts around his love of the acoustic guitar. A gifted musician who's unique style is highly regarded... Raymond Burley also began a career in music during the Sixties, with Georgie Fame, before he also decided to pursue a different path.

So what of the music I hear you say? The Stickford Church footage is a subtly edited registration of these two superb acoustic instrumentalists performing together tunes from Gordon's repertoire. Very little in the way of visuals are employed, barring the occasional split screen and close-up. In may ways reminding me of early footage of Julian Bream & John Williams - although musically not quite in the same vein. Those familiar with Gordon's work will know of his fluid lyrical style intertwined with his captivating melodies. These all instrumental pieces lodge very quickly in the mind.

Part two of the DVD takes us to the Lincolnshire countryside and the venue is Fulston Manor. The footage is simply filmed and the audio, although not as clear and crystalline as it is on Stickford Church footage, is more than acceptable. Our two troubadours perform an almost identical set, this time to an appreciative, (if perhaps not as warm and glowing), audience. It goes without saying that this is not a flashing light, pyro infested extravaganza, the only pyrotechniques here come from the fingers of our two seated musicians. However what is engaging is the interaction between the two and with the gathered masses. Many years of performance have certainly given Gordon a warm and friendly repertoire with his audience.

Of the two performances I found that I preferred more to listen to the Stickford Church performance, whilst the interactions between Gordon and Raymond made the Fulston Manor footage more a visual event. Very little is offered as additional features barring an interview or more accurately discussion between Gordon and Raymond filmed at Stickford Church. The two talk of their contrasting styles and how these have come together through the Double Vision project. Gordon very briefly discusses the many guitars he uses for his recording and performances - Raymond who only uses one classical guitar, speaks less... This is an engaging quarter of an hour so and although not something to watch over and over, certainly something I will view again.

So perhaps as Christmas approaches and the thought of those over played, often crass commercial Christmas hits fills you full of dread, then perhaps a few scheckles may be well invested in this delightful DVD - which I might add sits very comfortably as an enjoyable listening audio CD. I will certainly be listening to this DVD over Christmas, and probably during Spring, Summer and Autumn. I have linked here to a three minute "seasonal" Youtube clip to give you a little taster. Heartily Recommended.

Conclusion: 8 out of 10"

Return to “Gordon's Music”