Just getting familiar.

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

ramburns63

Just getting familiar.

Postby ramburns63 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:42 pm

Hi i've just newly registered and would like to confess that at 45 although i've always known of G's music i confess to owning none. I'd like to find out more and as for some reason seem to be having difficulty in getting a hold of much, i don't know why.
I can't talk on any authority about G but hope to find out more and hopefully be pointed in the right way. If any one can suggest maybe the best introduction to his work, ie maybe the best album to try and get a hold of to investigate, and any idea as to why i'm having a bit of trouble getting a hold of albums. I don't have a lot of spare cash and don't want to go spending a lot if i don't really like his music. Any ideas. Scott.
Age is unimportant unless you are a cheese !

Roger

Postby Roger » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:50 pm

Scott,

Why not go onto youtube and search for Gordon's videos? Have a good look, then post the tracks that you like and I'm sure someone on the forum will suggest a suitable CD.

Hope ths helps,

Roger

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:52 pm

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Hmmm; quite a tall order if you want a 'Gordon Primer'. I guess the album "Sixty Minutes with Gordon Giltrap" would be a good place to start. (You'll find it listed under the Discography pages on this site.)

You can order it from Voiceprint, although I see that they don't have any in stock just now. You can get copies of most of Gordon's material from Voiceprint, and if you look at the Discography on this site you can play some snatches of some of the music too.

You might also want to get a copy of the 'Gordon' DVD from Sound Techniques in the 'Guitar Maestros' series. That gives a good range of Gordon's catalogue. It's very well produced too!

Other will doubtless have some suggestions too! If you like guitar muisc then Gordon's your man!

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:00 pm

Ah! I knew there was another one! Also have a look at "The Gordon Giltrap Collection". Also on Voiceprint and currently in stock. A double CD for less than £10!

Roger's suggestion about YouTube is a good 'un too.

ramburns63

Your suggestions

Postby ramburns63 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:57 pm

Thanks will do as you suggest and hopefully find some goodies to start off a collection. I was in London today and couldn't get a hold of any, must be looking in the wrong places. Scott.
Age is unimportant unless you are a cheese !

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi Scott,

welcome to the Forum.

Unfortunately you are unlikely most of the time to pick up Gordon's CDs in your average high street music store - even large ones, but most major retailers will have some items available online. As already suggested, your first port of call should be the Discography section of the website, as there are buying links on each item, often from Voiceprint.

cheers
Sue
GG webmaster

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:54 pm

Hi there Scott

As an introduction to Gordon's music I would heartily recommend the "Collection" CD.

It's a double album whic spand th ewhole of Gordon's career to date. CD 1 contains a selection of tracks which span his "Gordon Giltrap Band" recordings from the 1970s and early 1980s wich include quite complex rock band and orchestral arrangements right through to his more recent solo acoustic guitar pieces. Pretty much all of his "favourite" tunes are represented and all of his albums. The track listing for CD 1 is as follows...

Awakening
Robes & Crowns
Ecchoing Green
London
Morbio Gorge
Roots Part 1 & 2
The Tailor Bird
Magpie Rag
El Greco
Elegy
Sallie's Song
Past Three O'Clock
Lucifer's Cage
Shady Tales
A Dublin Day
Who Knows Where Tomorrow Goes?
Avalon
On Camber Sands
A Misunderstood Man
Down The River
Heartsong 93

The beauty of this is that, if there are particualr songs that you like it can point you in th edirection of which full albums to check out next with some more certainty on what you'll find on there.

Disc 2 is a selection of solo live recordings and give a pretty good feel for what an evening wwith Gordon in concert would entail. the recording quality for all the tunes is excellent and gives another great feel for what Gordon's music is all about. Here's the track listing...

The Picnic
Sallie's Song
A Dublin Day
Summer Holiday
Who Knows Where Tomorrow Goes?
Angie
Down The River
Isabella's Wedding
The Lord's Seat
Splinter
Lucifer's Cage
Catwalk Blues
Here Comes The Sun

As a "primer" for Gordon's music it's pretty much perfect and a great way into his discography.

Sue's right that you'll find it hard to find his stuff in high street shops but most of the internet sellers will stock a range of his albums - and they can also be ordred direct from Voiceprint.

Amazon currently have it for £8.99 and with their new p&p limits that's postage free.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collection-Gord ... 687&sr=8-1

Have fun exploring his music.

Trevor

Return to “Gordon's Music”