Gordon and Martin Taylor, Pebble Mill at One, 1992

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

Slim

Gordon and Martin Taylor, Pebble Mill at One, 1992

Postby Slim » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:10 pm

Hi all,

Back in 1992 I was a member of Rolls-Royce and Associates guitar society, in Derby. We were fortunate enough to have Gordon come to play at the company's premises one evening, to an enthusiastic audience, following which some of us felt like throwing away our guitars and taking up another interest instead!

Anyway, a few of us managed to get hold of tickets to attend the BBC's Pebble Mill At One programme that year, at which Gordon and Martin Taylor played the musical interlude. This was not long after their A Matter Of Time collaboration was released, and they played Collins Meadow from it - a Martin Taylor composition I think.

I was delighted on returning home to learn that my VHS recorder had done its thing at the specified time, and here are the fruits of its labours. Hope this will be of some interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRAMXCoWSoE

Cheers,
Slim
Last edited by Slim on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:39 pm

Hi Slim.

I can't begin to tell you how thrilled I was to see this vintage footage of Martin and I. The duo though short lived has a very special place in my heart, and if it had been up to me it would have continued, but sadly it wasn't to be!

When I tell folk that I once recorded and toured with Martin and how good it was, it's hard to convey in words how special(for me) our music making and more importantly our friendship was and of course still is. My God don't we look young there... :D

Thanks again my friend, and I hope that this clip gives many folk as much pleasure as it did me at the time.

Sincere and Warm Regards.

Gordon.

Slim

Postby Slim » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:51 am

Hi Gordon,

It's a pleasure! Thanks for your reply. I very much enjoyed watching that again after finding it while going through my old VHS tapes.

I very much admire both you and Martin as solo artists, and as a duo you were a class act, definitely. I went to see you both at the Guildhall in Derby with some of the lads from RRA, I think a month or two before that Pebble Mill show, and was honestly just blown away. There seemed to be a magical chemistry in that combination of two different backgrounds and styles.

When I heard that you were working together, I can remember thinking that it seemed like an unlikely collaboration - but it most definitely worked beautifully in my opinion. It's a shame that there's only one album to remember it by, but it's definitely a good 'un!

PS - do you still wear that shirt? 8)

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:05 am

Hi Slim,

thanks for posting the video - I hadn't seen that before- great stuff !

I've added it to a playlist on Gordon's YouTube Channel.

cheers
Sue

Roger

Postby Roger » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:31 am

Slim,

This is really great footage - thanks for sharing it with us. Unfortunately there are not enough early clips of Gordon, but this really is a "gem".

Thanks also to Bob Wilson for his youtube postings over the w/e.

All the best,

Roger

amgard

Postby amgard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:14 pm

We were fortunate to come and see you on that tour. It was up in Northumberland, (I believe it was in Alnwick - but I could be wrong, my memory isn't what it was).

The music that night was superb, and I was lucky to have GG sign my copy of the 1st album. You seemed to be intrigued as to where I got it, I believe you thought I'd just bought it!

Anyway - on the way home we stopped the car to witness one of the clearest starry nights we had ever seen. My wife still talks about that night as being one of the best nights out ever - magic music and gorgeous sky - what more could you ask for?!?

Return to “Gordon's Music”