Found this on YouTube!!

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

Nickswitz

Found this on YouTube!!

Postby Nickswitz » Mon May 17, 2021 12:12 am

Hi all,
Hope you's are all ok and safe.

I just stumbled on this a while ago when
I was looking for something else by Gordon.

Just different class with Rick Wakeman. This is
from a level not many can understand. I don't at all,
apart from the fact that it is something I have
never heard before. I hear it when I am waking up.

We all have annoying tunes in our heads, but this is one
that can go on forever!!

Top drawer.

Here is the link..
ATB, stay safe and P+L to all..
N...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKmwwti ... iceprintTV

Nickswitz

Re: Found this on YouTube!!

Postby Nickswitz » Tue May 25, 2021 12:04 am

Hi all,

Hope you's are all well and safe,

Are there people on here, as Mr G's fans,
who have never heard this beautiful piece of
music before.?

I am aware that I am replying to my own original
post, but has nobody listened to this.? Am I the first
to discover this.? The look Rick Wakeman gives to
Gordon at the end says it all.

Always music..
Stay safe and well.
ATB, and P+L to al.
N.

BRC

Postby BRC » Thu May 27, 2021 11:25 am

I have only just seen your post … and don’t worry about commenting on your own post.

I searched for this on my albums and, although it is a long time since I have listened to the track, have it on the ‘Gordon Giltrap - The Solos Album’. I can see (or is that ‘hear’) why it can become an ‘earworm’ tune. The frenetic guitar, and in this case piano, playing catches you but leaves you never quite sure whether you have reached resolution of the melody, thus drawing you in to repeat and try again. Hopefully that doesn’t come over as pretentious.

Thank you for resurrecting this piece for my renewed listening. I have a number of musical based tasks to do over the next week, but will have to find the time and sit and listen to this properly.

A good find!

Kind regards
Brad

Nickswitz

Postby Nickswitz » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:10 pm

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the reply, Gordon taught me at school a lifetime ago
in Kent.

I was looking for something from the first (And only time)
I saw him live, in Dartford, The Orchard I believe, 1982/3…

No I Phones and recordings on mobiles. So I found nothing from then
but this amazing performance about 15 years ago, amongst others, but
this was different class. It really is fantastic,

It only becomes apparent years later, the influence that some people
have on us. His music, and his capacity to compose is just awesome.

To me it sounds like open G fretted on the second, bits of it I can
play with my eyes shut, but most of it I will never play in a million
years!!

I have seen the Sex Pistols in 2007, Live Aid in ’85 (Best ever)
Faith No More and Soundgarden in massive and small clubs, violent gigs,
which were amazing, but this track with Rick Wakeman reminds of being
14 years old in The Orchard, watching an orchestra and just everybody
listening silently and being amazed by the sheer quality.

Any suggestions of what I could listen to by Gordon? I could trawl the
net, but I am back at work after C-19.. Not much free time now..

ATB, Nick

BRC

Postby BRC » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:45 pm

Nick,

That is a fascinating insight on your association with Gordon from many years ago.

I live in Kent now, but my early life was spent growing up (some might disagree with those last two words) in Liverpool, with what has always been a vibrant music scene. It seemed every street had at least once person who was in a group (as we used to call them) or band that played somewhere in and around that scene.

I am only about 8 - 9 months younger than Gordon, so my general musical tastes are probably a little different to yours. I have seen a good few of my musical 'heroes', but I shall leave that for another time.

It is difficult to know where to start as to my preferred GG tracks/tunes. Obviously 'Dodo's Dream' is up there, particularly played live in concert. It is 'organic' in its presentation - always a little different each time. Always great.

I am a little pushed for time at the moment so will spend some time in cogitation and come back to your post in a few days time. I shall try to comment on one piece that has surprised me with how popular it is.

Kind regards
Brad

Nickswitz

Postby Nickswitz » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:13 am

Hi Brad,

I do understand your description of Liverpool, what a centre of creativity, and has been for many decades. It may have been similar to some of my later experiences in East London, when I left Kent in 84. Every other pal played, or was in something or was into music of one kind or another. Those were the 80’s as was Liverpool I imagine in the 40’s 50’s 60’s and still is today. Hence the film "Yesterday"… Which I thought was great in attitude...

I was lucky (Agree or disagree as you said!!) or not, to be dumped into a bar job at The Royal Standard Music Venue in Walthamstow E17 I was only 18 but I met some fantastic people.

Steve Marriott, John Otway, Albert Lee, Wilko Johnson, Suzi Quatro, Dave Murray, Steve Harris and Paul Di’Anno, who later got me a job with See Factor (A stage lighting company)
Who took me all over the world at 20 years old with Rush, The Cure, Simply Red, amongst others, but mainly Def Leppard for the Hysteria tour.

I was lucky enough to spend lots of time talking to Steve Clark (My hero BTW) He spoke to me as an equal, as Gordon did, when he taught me all those years ago. And I think that is why music has always been so important to me. It does not discriminate. So I will listen to anything that has value, and it does not matter when, or from whom . Gordon taught me to play, but I can just about bash out a tune, I’m shite tbh, but more importantly, he taught me how to listen and hear good music… And for that I will be forever grateful to him..

As I mentioned, it is only years later, we realise what people taught us, but that track is just so good, and Rick Wakeman looking at Gordon at the end for acknowledgement makes it!!

Anyway, I’m back to work tomorrow after an age on the sofa!!!

Keep safe and well,
ATB
Nick

Return to “Gordon's Music”