Pofacetilly New Album!

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

steve

Pofacetilly New Album!

Postby steve » Sun May 03, 2020 2:50 pm

Hello everyone,

First off, I hope everybody is keeping safe and well during these very difficult times. If we all stick together we'll get through this.

I was browsing Amazon recently and found reference to a new album by Gordon and Stuart Jones called "Pofacetilly". Imagine my surprise when I hadn't even heard about it and it doesn't appear to be announced yet or promoted or even listed under Gordon's extensive discography. It was dropped online in February and released on CD a month ago.

Does anyone know much about it or who wrote the music? I've streamed it and absolutely love it so I've just ordered the CD.

I'm not familiar with Stuart Jones' work but the mix of ambient soundscapes, piano and Gordon's guitar is simply magical. The piece called "I Heard You Smiling" is astonishingly beautiful.

Well done again, Gordon and Stuart.

I'd hoped to have found people talking about it but alas, sadly not. Is it an internet secret? Hahaha.

All the best,

Steve
Mirrors should think longer before they reflect ~ Jean Cocteau

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Pofacetilly New Album!

Postby GORDON » Sun May 03, 2020 6:02 pm

Hi Steve.

Thanks for your posting sir.

This is an interesting project because basically it was a quick studio jam at Stuart Jones house and he cobbled it together,and it is what it is.

It's not what I would have called a major project and just a toe in the water to see if it would work.

Originally I was just improvising over his lovely piano playing,but the label wanted my guitar more to the fore so that's the way it turned out.

Not much more to tell really.

Thanks for your interest.

Be well.

G.

steve

Postby steve » Mon May 04, 2020 11:41 am

Hi Gordon,

I trust you're well. Is lockdown helpful to the art of creating?

Thank you for your reply. I find the technique described quite fascinating and the results are really excellent.

The cobbling work from jam sessions might explain what sounds like abrupt fades of your guitar here and there. It's a technique, as you know, that's been used for decades and quite famously by Teo Macero working from Miles Davis tapes of jam sessions.

Are these Stuart's compositions or are they collaborative pieces?

I'm looking forward to listening more closely when the CD arrives.

Keep up the great work and stay safe.

Warmest regards,

Steve
Mirrors should think longer before they reflect ~ Jean Cocteau

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon May 04, 2020 12:28 pm

Hi Steve.

I guess one would regard them as collaborative.

Thanks for your interest sir.

Be Well.

G.

Return to “Gordon's Music”