Visitation - Fear of the Dark

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

diffidus

Visitation - Fear of the Dark

Postby diffidus » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:29 pm

I first saw Gordon Giltrap at the end of the 1970s on the 'Old Grey Whistle test'. He was playing some tracks from the 'Fear of the Dark' album. He had a female singer with his band ( maybe Annie Haslam?) and it was absolutely brilliant. I was so impressed that the very next day I bought the album (I have never done that for any other band either before or since). It was great value for money.

I play acoustic guitar myself but nowhere near Gordon's level, but one track off Fear of the Dark, called Visitation is relatively slow and I have always loved the melody. However, I have never been able to find a book or music sheet (in a shop or on the net) that has the chords and tab. Can anyone out there help?

Roger

Re: Visitation - Fear of the Dark

Postby Roger » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:27 pm

Hi Diffidus,

Visitation is a great track, with or without the drums of Simon Phillips. Electric guitar solos don't come much better than Gordon's on this track.

Roger

coling

Postby coling » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:58 am

On the subject of Fear of the Dark, here's another current professional musician (Rob Reed, multi-instrumentalist with his "Sanctuary" releases and member of Magenta, Kiara, Kompendium and more) who recently quotes this album as one of his major inluences. Full interview on http://www.dprp.net/reviews/2018-026

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Wed May 16, 2018 11:42 am

He had a female singer with his band ( maybe Annie Haslam?) and it was absolutely brilliant.

Most likely the fabulous Shirley Roden - wonderful singer. Check out the Live At Oxford live CD for more of her singing...

Return to “Gordon's Music”