40th anniversary of the Visionary

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

piotrwargan

40th anniversary of the Visionary

Postby piotrwargan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:26 am

The year 1976 saw the release of a record that I regard as my all-time-favourite: Visionary.

In 1976, I was 13 and had no idea that such music exists, but thanks to a certain visionary from my country it was to be heard 5 years later in a very special thetrical play called "King Arthur's Knights". It took place in 1981, and then I saw the name Gordon Giltrap for the first time.

Tom: how about making a show devoted to the music from the Visionary album?

Tom McCauley

Re: 40th anniversary of the Visionary

Postby Tom McCauley » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:44 pm

Hi Piotr,

I could do but I haven't got much of the Visionary album. The only track I have is Lucifers Cage.

However, I will look into it!

Thanks for the suggestion

Cheers,
Tom
Tom McCauley

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:37 am

Tom McCauley wrote:Hi Piotr,

I could do but I haven't got much of the Visionary album. The only track I have is Lucifers Cage.

However, I will look into it!

Thanks for the suggestion

Cheers,
Tom

Hi Tom.

All those classic albums have been re released on Esoteric Records....Enjoy!

G

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:17 pm

Hi there Gordon.
Hope you're well.

I have many of your albums which I enjoy. I'll have to look out of the reissues!

Regards,
Tom.
Tom McCauley

Roger

Postby Roger » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:04 pm

Hi Piotr!

I had to travel to Warwick yesterday and returned to Portsmouth this evening. My chosen CDs for the journey were Visionary, Perilous Journey, Fear of the Dark and Ravens and Lullabies :D

Visionary, PJ and FoTD are all remarkable albums in my opinion and stand shoulder to shoulder with anything else recorded in the 70s or any other time for that matter. Whether the music is stripped down to the basics ie Gordon alone on an acoustic guitar, or given the full band treatment, the compositions retain a freshness that belies their years. As most people on here know, Fear of the Dark is one of my favourite, if not the favourite, albums of all time - the compositions and musicianship are sublime. I also think that Ravens and Lullabies compares well to these classics and of course mustn't forget Peacock Party!

A radio show about Visionary or all of the giltrap trilogy would be brilliant - great idea!

Best to you and all forum members,

Roger

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:40 pm

Roger wrote:
Visionary, PJ and FoTD are all remarkable albums in my opinion and stand shoulder to shoulder with anything else recorded in the 70s or any other time for that matter. Whether the music is stripped down to the basics ie Gordon alone on an acoustic guitar, or given the full band treatment, the compositions retain a freshness that belies their years. As most people on here know, Fear of the Dark is one of my favourite, if not the favourite, albums of all time - the compositions and musicianship are sublime. I also think that Ravens and Lullabies compares well to these classics and of course mustn't forget Peacock Party!

A radio show about Visionary or all of the giltrap trilogy would be brilliant - great idea!

I'll second that emotion. Ant then I will third, fourth and fifth it. Highly recommend prioritising getting hold of the Esoteric reissues if Visionary, Perilous Journey nad Fear of the Dark (and let's throw The Peacock Party in there as well). They are a stunning trio/quartet of albums. Each one distinct its own way yet with a developing sonic theme. And the Esoteric reissues really do show them in their best possible light with some really well chosen bonus tracks (as opposed to the usual studio floor sweepings that accompany most reissues). I would particularly highlight the orchestarl version of the track Quest with the Wren Orchestra on Perilous Journey - which is quite simply one of my favourite Giltrap recordings, despite being "only" a bonus track.

If you've not checked out Fear Of The Dark then again that is highly recommended - it is also a personal favourite (permanently in my top 5 fave albums of all time since I first heard it in 1978!) and I am as much an evangelist for that album as Roger is! It's a bit harder edged, darker and more rocky than V or PJ - though still with a strong prog band flavour. Fast Approaching, Nightrider, Inner Dream, Fear of the Dark (original album and "disco" single versions) and of course the origianl version of Roots. All stunners. Plus some "never before on CD" single releases among the bonus tracks.

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:04 pm

Trevor Raggatt wrote:
Roger wrote:

I'll second that emotion. Ant then I will third, fourth and fifth it. Highly recommend prioritising getting hold of the Esoteric reissues if Visionary, Perilous Journey nad Fear of the Dark (and let's throw The Peacock Party in there as well). They are a stunning trio/quartet of albums. Each one distinct its own way yet with a developing sonic theme. And the Esoteric reissues really do show them in their best possible light with some really well chosen bonus tracks (as opposed to the usual studio floor sweepings that accompany most reissues). I would particularly highlight the orchestarl version of the track Quest with the Wren Orchestra on Perilous Journey - which is quite simply one of my favourite Giltrap recordings, despite being "only" a bonus track.

If you've not checked out Fear Of The Dark then again that is highly recommended - it is also a personal favourite (permanently in my top 5 fave albums of all time since I first heard it in 1978!) and I am as much an evangelist for that album as Roger is! It's a bit harder edged, darker and more rocky than V or PJ - though still with a strong prog band flavour. Fast Approaching, Nightrider, Inner Dream, Fear of the Dark (original album and "disco" single versions) and of course the origianl version of Roots. All stunners. Plus some "never before on CD" single releases among the bonus tracks.

Good evening to you Trevor!

I have the "Fear of the Dark" album so I could take some tracks off that album should I consider the radio show suggestion mentioned earlier.

Tom
Tom McCauley

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:30 am

I can only second what you have already said, gentlemen :-) I think that if you could see the play in which (among other pieces), "Lucifer's Cage" was thundering in a theatre hall to illustrate the doings of Mordred and if you could hear "Echoing Green" illustrating the love of Lancelot and Queen Guinevere (and the Holy Grail appearing to the sound of "Revelation"...), you would know why it is Visionary that is my all-time favourite. I watched the play several times when the famous Mime Theatre of Henryk Tomaszewski returned to their hometown of Wroclaw from another world tour. Apart from acting (and it was a "silent musical" - not a single word spoken!) it was the music of Gordon that had this irresistible magnetic pull.

FoD and PJ stand shoulder to shoulder with Visionary, that is true and Ravens and Lullabies can just be added as the "fourth musketeer". My joy comes also from the fact that pieces from Ravens are being played on Polish Radio 3 now and then (the following compositions have been on the air so far: "Moneyfacturing", "A Perfect Day", "Wherever There Was Beauty" and "Maybe Tomorrow"). There will be more, I hope. Moneyfacturing was also for about three months on a list of candidate songs for our most popular Top Chart of Polish Radio 3.

Tom: if you had a chance to present a selection of pieces from all the three classical albums (Visionary, Fear of the Dark and Perilous Journey), and maybe even with a track or two from Ravens then it could be a great solution.

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:09 am

I shall look into it! :)
Tom McCauley

Roger

Postby Roger » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:16 pm

Trevor Raggatt wrote:
Roger wrote:

Nice to know we are on the same wavelength re FoTD Trevor :D :D :D

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:25 am

Roger wrote:
Trevor Raggatt wrote:
Roger wrote:

Nice to know we are on the same wavelength re FoTD Trevor :D :D :D

[#Hashtag]BestAlbumEVER!!! 8) 8) 8)

Return to “Gordon's Music”