Dodo's Dream

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

Roger

Dodo's Dream

Postby Roger » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:19 am

Well I'm following in the footsteps of our good friend Piotr by asking this question - which is your favourite version of Dodo? I'll start the ball rolling - mine is the first one played by Gordon when he started playing electric guitar on stage again, which was a dream come true for me :D . Beech Village Hall, 2006 I think, and the red (Farida) telecaster are a great memory :D . I just think that the "zinginess" of the tele on the main guitar riff give it the edge over other versions, of which there are now many. A few guitars have been used too,such as the Variax, the Steve Toon/Variax guitar and of course Gordon's signature JHS now, but I have to say that that's my favourite version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aeQ8D_IW20

Over to other forum members now and I'm really interested to hear your views, particularly those of Gordon and Uncle Bob :)

Best wishes to all,

Roger

Tom McCauley

Re: Dodo's Dream

Postby Tom McCauley » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:25 am

I'd say the version he did on the Shining Morn album?
Tom McCauley

BRC

Postby BRC » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:31 am

I sat reading this post at 02:35 this morning drinking a Lemsip Max (other similar medicinal compounds are available) to try to ease the hacking cough and thumping headache. None of this was due to alcohol consumption but the cold that my wife had the previous week and decided to pass on to me in some sort of health relay race - and it is my time to carry the baton.

I digress. I sat thinking which version, recorded or live, I preferred, came to a conclusion then thought better of trying to write an objective response in the small hours when my head felt so fuzzy, saying nothing of my logic. However, now awake (sore throat, hacking cough and mild headache notwithstanding) in the clear light of day, I still come to the same conclusion. I prefer all versions.

I have, on occasion, sat and listened to different recorded versions back to back and cannot say I find any a definitive version as each has its own moment that I can say to myself 'I like that bit better than the others', or find a twiddly bit (technical term which Gordon will have to explain) that catches my 'in the moment' preference. These can interchange depending on mood and where I am when listening.

Having thought very carefully I have to say, in total honesty, that the version I prefer is the latest live version that I have seen and heard Gordon play. Live performance takes on the added dimension of the ambience of location where the performance is, which can vary so much from venue to venue. I can still say to myself 'I like that bit better than the last performance Gordon gave', though that is not to detract from any performance. I am sure there have been some performances that have not gone quite to script - fortunately not on the many occasions I have been in the audience.

Recordings are, of course, a performance captured at a point in time, tidied and balanced for the medium in/on which they are to be published. A live performance is an experience of sight, sound and ambience which is difficult to convey properly in a recording.

If, Roger, you wish to confine your posting to 'recorded' versions then I still have to come back to my original opinion. I enjoy each and every one, even though I may find differences between them.

I am looking forward to the next live performance I get to attend to reacquaint myself with the 'next version'.

Kind regards

Brad

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:27 am

Hello,

I love Dodo's Dream and have had the priviledge to hear it live on three occassions - every time I had goosbumps, but the first time (in St. Ives in 2011) will always be THE live version for me.

The recordings with the full band: my favourite is the version from The Band Live 1981. The Dodo's Dream recorded as a solo version: here I would vote for the version from the Shining Morn.

All the best,
Piotr

keithmeredith

Postby keithmeredith » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:40 pm

Easy one, Roger,

Some years ago my Beloved and I were traveling on a quiet, dark country road (can't remember our destination now - but it could have been a GG gig in the vicinity of Coventry). On the car stereo was my latest acquisition - Gordon's 'As It Happens" - and up came the bonus track where our Troubadour explains the way he uses the loop station to construct this piece and proceeds to demonstrate Dodo's Dream.

After listening silently to the complete track we looked at each other and in unison said,"Wow!"

Have had the pleasure and the privilege of seeing Gordon play this piece many times, and it is fascinating to see and hear how Dodo's Dream has evolved and flourished - but that first hearing stands out in my memory.

Best wishes and regards,

Keith

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:46 pm

I agree with Brad that the live versions of The Dodo's Dream all have their own magic as you see and hear the piece being created before your eyes.

My favourite recorded version would be on Shining Morn.

Whilst it's not Gordon's solo creation I also really enjoy The Dodo's Dream on the 4 Parts Guitar CD.

All The Best

Roger

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:25 pm

My favourite is the version on the CD accompanying the booklet that Bob put together on how to play it. It is a fabulous piece and still a challenge to get the timing spot on! Love it :-)

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:16 pm

I have to say that they all have their own merit but any played on the Variax for me is special as I now own it (aren’t I the lucky one!). I remember trying to get the tabs done for the booklet and CD that Andrew mentions and every time I saw Gordon at a gig he had changed it. Eventually he left it alone long enough for me to actually get the tab down and that has to be my favourite version. It was a standing joke between Gordon and I, for a while, that The Dodo couldn’t be extinct as it was still evolving and to be honest it still is. One of my favourite Giltrap pieces:D
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:24 am

Bob Wilson wrote:I have to say that they all have their own merit but any played on the Variax for me is special as I now own it (aren’t I the lucky one!). I remember trying to get the tabs done for the booklet and CD that Andrew mentions and every time I saw Gordon at a gig he had changed it. Eventually he left it alone long enough for me to actually get the tab down and that has to be my favourite version. It was a standing joke between Gordon and I, for a while, that The Dodo couldn’t be extinct as it was still evolving and to be honest it still is. One of my favourite Giltrap pieces:D

Thanks Bobby.

G.

steve

Postby steve » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:00 am

piotrwargan wrote:Hello,

I love Dodo's Dream and have had the priviledge to hear it live on three occassions - every time I had goosbumps, but the first time (in St. Ives in 2011) will always be THE live version for me.

The recordings with the full band: my favourite is the version from The Band Live 1981. The Dodo's Dream recorded as a solo version: here I would vote for the version from the Shining Morn.

All the best,
Piotr

In a very similar way to me (having heard / seen it performed by Gordon live on I think at least three occasions) it's hard to remove the wonder of actually being there at a live performance to SEE Gordon perform it as much as "listening" to it, to be able to evaluate which version is indeed the best. I recall seeing it performed at The Fleece at Bretforton in a lovely old Listed tithe barn, no less! I can't remember if Gordon did this at Huntingdon Hall back in the early '00's. I know it's not on the DVD but I thought he did it at those shows?

Speaking of which, I've just watched the DVD again and if anyone asked me which version of Sallie's Song I'd select it'd have to be that one played on the classic beautiful double neck guitar. Gordon, I'd love to see that baby wheeled out more. It sounds incredible.

Back to Dodo's Dream, the best live version I guarantee anybody will be the next time you see Gordon play it live and you're in the audience. It's organic and continually confounds all expectattions.

With a band? I'd agree with Piotri, it's probably the Live 1981 version. I'd also cast another vote for the terrific version on "Shining Morn".
Mirrors should think longer before they reflect ~ Jean Cocteau

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:23 pm

steve wrote:
piotrwargan wrote:Hello,

All the best,
Piotr

In a very similar way to me (having heard / seen it performed by Gordon live on I think at least three occasions) it's hard to remove the wonder of actually being there at a live performance to SEE Gordon perform it as much as "listening" to it, to be able to evaluate which version is indeed the best. I recall seeing it performed at The Fleece at Bretforton in a lovely old Listed tithe barn, no less! I can't remember if Gordon did this at Huntingdon Hall back in the early '00's. I know it's not on the DVD but I thought he did it at those shows?

Speaking of which, I've just watched the DVD again and if anyone asked me which version of Sallie's Song I'd select it'd have to be that one played on the classic beautiful double neck guitar. Gordon, I'd love to see that baby wheeled out more. It sounds incredible.

Back to Dodo's Dream, the best live version I guarantee anybody will be the next time you see Gordon play it live and you're in the audience. It's organic and continually confounds all expectattions.

With a band? I'd agree with Piotri, it's probably the Live 1981 version. I'd also cast another vote for the terrific version on "Shining Morn".

Hi a Steve.

I couldn't agree with you more about that version of Sallie's song on the GUITAR MAESTRO 's DVD.I somehow managed to capture the sound and vibe I wanted,and it has never sounded better since,

Be well.

G.

Roger

Postby Roger » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:06 pm

Forgive me for being a bit smug, but then I think this has turned out to be a great thread :D The fact that we all love different versions of Dodo speaks volumes of what it's all about :D

Bob - yes you are the lucky one!

Steve - we saw Gordon perform Sallie's Song at Fareham a few years ago on the JB guitar and I'd never seen a double neck used in such a stunning way before. Funnily enough when we were in Dorset during the summer I came across an advert for the John Bailey in "Guitar" (G now has the mag) - I must post it on the forum one day!

Thanks for the replies and best to all,

Roger

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:49 am

You know something? I still love the original version on Peacock Party. It tends to be a bit overshadowed by the tour de force which is Gordon's looping extravaganza but it's a carcking track.

Mind you, I also think that PP as a whole is a bit overshadowed in people's minds by the trio of V, PJ and FotD so is sometimes seen as a lesser album. If truth it has some fantastic tunes on it and some amazing playing.

My FAVE Dodo's Dream though... Hmmm, for sheer blown awayness it woudl be the first time I saw Gordon doing the loop version on his old Variaxe.

Second fave, Shining Morn tour in Salisbury Civic Hall because I had taken my nephew, we were in the front row and it was priceless watching Adam's jaw drop progressively lower as the track progressed! Here it is if you want a look... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSdymlt_3qs

Third fave: the first time I saw him do it on that Swiss Cheesy guitar backloadd with Variaxe circuitry (because it looked so cool and was such a step up in sound quality from the basic Variaxe

steve

Postby steve » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:04 am

Trevor Raggatt wrote:You know something? I still love the original version on Peacock Party. It tends to be a bit overshadowed by the tour de force which is Gordon's looping extravaganza but it's a carcking track.

Mind you, I also think that PP as a whole is a bit overshadowed in people's minds by the trio of V, PJ and FotD so is sometimes seen as a lesser album. If truth it has some fantastic tunes on it and some amazing playing.

I couldn't agree more! As I've said previously when the album came out in 1981 I was underwhelmed by it having absolutely adored the Triumvirate "trilogy" that preceded it. However things change with time and I'm now enjoying it more than ever. I think the "difficult" part of its reception might have been in part due to the fact that it has a real folk roots feel to it compared to the "prog rock" style of its predecessors. I've read elsewhere about the jazzy stylings too. Jazz? What are they talking about it? Well, I can even appreciate that comment now as I've spent more than a little time with that particular genre in the past 25 years. PP is definitely under-rated but worse than that, it is criminally UNKNOWN to the wider public!

I listened to it again last night and really like the version of Dodo's Dream on the album. It's more laid back and mellow but suits the record better.

Does anyone else here ever feel the urge to push Gordon's music to fresh ears elsewhere? I'm a member of a very large online music forum and I keep purposefully dropping the names of Gordon's albums everywhere in the hope that someone will bite!

steve

Postby steve » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:13 am

Roger wrote:Steve - we saw Gordon perform Sallie's Song at Fareham a few years ago on the JB guitar and I'd never seen a double neck used in such a stunning way before. Funnily enough when we were in Dorset during the summer I came across an advert for the John Bailey in "Guitar" (G now has the mag) - I must post it on the forum one day!

Thanks for the replies and best to all,

Roger

Roger, I played Sallie's Song from Huntingdon Hall back to back about half a dozen times the other night as I just couldn't get enough of it. The gentle strumming in the "up-strokes" on the double-neck creates such a beautiful tone quite unlike anything I've heard before. Of course seeing Gordon's dexterity at work switching quickly from fretboard to fretboard to create an orchestra of different sounds, is just the icing on the cake.

Return to “Gordon's Music”