The Wonga ad.

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

GORDON
Site Admin

The Wonga ad.

Postby GORDON » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:22 am

It is indeed interesting to see some comments on Twitter about the similarity in style between my playing and the amazing guitarist/ guitarists on the Wonga.com advert!

Either way I'm very flattered!

Be well all.

G.

keithmeredith

Re: The Wonga ad.

Postby keithmeredith » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:55 pm

I was most impressed by the snippet of mastery on Wonga's goggle box advert - prompted me to delve a little……….

The two guitarists involved are Mike Dawes - who wrote the piece, entitled Flexible Fingers, and who plays the part of "Earl" - and Ben Lapps, who is seen on screen. These guys are both in their early twenties and are already veteran performers with albums released.

Clearly influenced by the likes of Micheal Hedges, these two talented young men deserve success - and I think they too would be flattered to be likened to Gordon.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:57 am

keithmeredith wrote:I was most impressed by the snippet of mastery on Wonga's goggle box advert - prompted me to delve a little……….

The two guitarists involved are Mike Dawes - who wrote the piece, entitled Flexible Fingers, and who plays the part of "Earl" - and Ben Lapps, who is seen on screen. These guys are both in their early twenties and are already veteran performers with albums released.

Clearly influenced by the likes of Micheal Hedges, these two talented young men deserve success - and I think they too would be flattered to be likened to Gordon.

Let us not forget the late great Eric Roche and his profound influence on the next generation of players.

I shall continue to write pretty tunes methinks.

Best I can do.

Be well Keith and Fiona.

kevin

Postby kevin » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Nothing wrong with "pretty tunes" Gordon. Personally speaking I dont care for, "tapping" think thats what they call it.
All the best
Kevin

matt

Postby matt » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:56 pm

You know I've been wondering about who did that after a friend actually stuffed the advert in my inbox to look at after a phone call with my pointing out I have little time for TV barring Doctor Who... I never got as far as actually googling it...

Very talented obviously but I hope the money for appearing on a wonga advert was a percentage of the companies profits! There's selling your music and then there's dancing(tapping?) with the devil (scary song by the way, don't google that one!) :lol:

Hi Matt.

What a joy to read all your postings,a breath of fresh air to this FORUM of ours.

Happy New Year and be Well.

G.
Damn... broke a nail

Stevo

Postby Stevo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:25 pm

Ben is a good guitarist. I've seen some of his stuff on YouTube. And he's a fellow Lowden player too.

Nice to see Eric's name mentioned.
I miss Eric Roche. I was lucky enough to see him afew times, plus I went to his workshops 3 or 4 times. He was a really good teacher.
He did some nice arrangements of rock/pop songs in his Guitar Techniques articles. I play his arrangement of Van Halens Jump, Stevie Wonders Higher Ground, Princes 1999 and theme from Cheers, and there is a few on the 'still to learn' list.

Eric Roche and Isaac Guillory, both much missed.

matt

Postby matt » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:00 am

You know I think Mike Dawes out of the two has more to owe to Giltrapism than 'tother chappie...

Watch and make up your own mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuRBGpEHcnI&hd=1

There's a certain irrefutable Gordonistic style including the intimate pauses and counting through to the next...

Is that a Benjamin guitar he's playing does anyone know? Quite keen on them, plus it's my son's name :D
Damn... broke a nail

Stevo

Postby Stevo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:21 am

Yes it's a Benjamin guitar. Nice guitars, but he's put his prices up since Eric Roche, Newton Faulkner and others started playing them.

matt

Postby matt » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:40 pm

Stevo wrote:Yes it's a Benjamin guitar. Nice guitars, but he's put his prices up since Eric Roche, Newton Faulkner and others started playing them.

To be honest Stevo I probably couldn't have stretched to one before the price increases ... :lol:

Lovely sounding lumps of timber and string though aren't they 8)
Damn... broke a nail

Return to “Gordon's Music”