GG 12 String Possible Issue

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: GG 12 String Possible Issue

Postby GORDON » Sun May 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi All.

Just got back from Cornwall and needed to clarify the situation. SUE...(THANKYOU) has indeed pointed out the fact that this dealer does indeed buy damaged/substandard stock from JHS and sells it for what it is,and of course the price reflects that.

I of course cannot comment on JHS policy when it comes to this side of things.

I guess as long as folk know that they are purchasing an insrument with issues and that instrument will need attention then no harm done!

In a perfect world goods shipped from abroad would all arrive in perfect condition, sadly (as I'm sure we have all experienced from time to time) this is not always the case!

Be Well dear friends.

G.

HawkofMay

Postby HawkofMay » Mon May 14, 2012 8:14 pm

I haven't been put off buying one. Just listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esx9fiGyXNc

kevin

Postby kevin » Tue May 15, 2012 7:51 am

Crikey not much wrong with that! Impressed.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue May 15, 2012 9:23 am

HawkofMay wrote:I haven't been put off buying one. Just listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esx9fiGyXNc

This is indeed a lovely bit of playing and he clearly loves the guitar. It is a great instrument...I love it!

Be Well guv.

G.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue May 15, 2012 9:27 am

Russ Gannicott wrote:I think there are several factors at play here - firstly, the 12 hasn't had the R&D that the 6 has, ie 30 years of proving itself as a stable guitar! Secondly, as I believe the 12 was rushed out fairly quickly by the factory I would guess that a few 'rogues' got through their usually vigorous QA control. A bridge that is unglueing itself is far less of a problem than a bowed top which can only be caused by either failed glue joints or bent struts! If the struts bow over time (EKO Ranger 12) then it is not a problem, just something you get to live with and can normally compensate for, if however it happens quickly, then you will need to allow for a visit to your tame luthier and expect a bill that reflects the fact that he has had to remove and re-glue the table.
On the subject of tuning, I would agree that an old 12 is often happiest drop tuned and cappo'd, which is fine, but there is a very fine line between over-stressing and under-stressing a neck. I have seen dozens of vintage guitars ruined because the owners have stored them away without strings. I would far rather sort out a bowed top than a warped neck, especially on a new guitar. So, my advice would be to buy a guitar that has a track record - even just a couple of years, or buy it new and rely on the warranty, either way you can't lose. If you buy on ebay, then your maximum bid should really reflect the risks you are taking.

Sound advice (as ever Russ)

LTTF.

G & H.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”