my ve2000gg signature guitar review

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

daniellouisduffy

my ve2000gg signature guitar review

Postby daniellouisduffy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:27 pm

Hello! My ve2000gg giltrap signature guitar arrived about a month ago after a long, long wait, and i have finally put it down long enough to write a little review, as their don't seem to be many online. Basically, its amazing- its lightweight and the unusal shape is surprisingly comfortable, as well as looking lookling cool. The workmanship is superb- i can find no fault whatsoever apart from a miniscule glob of glue on the fret board which is almost unnoticable. The sound is excellent as well- both plugged in and unplugged, with a bass where you can actually hear the individual notes, and a bright treble wich is never twangy or cheap-sounding. The tuner is works perfectly and the pre-amp controls allow you to really fine tune the sound you want the guitar to make, although they are little hard to master- ( i still haven't quite worked out the finer points of using "notch" and "phase"). One of the reviews claimed that it was a fairly quiet guitar- this being my first acoustic guitar i am no great judge, but i can't think of any situation where you would need more volume than it can produce. It is easy to play in pretty much any style- i've been playing fingerstyle, tapping and slide guitar and they all sound great, its as if the guitar is never out of its comfort zone. Strumming sounds just as good but the lower bout of the guitar is quite easily damaged- mine already has signs of tiny scratches and general wear-and-tear from my fingernails,- does anyone know how Gordon gets around this, since he (i think?) doesn't have a scratchplate on his? This, again is a minor problem, which could be easily fixed if i just had the nerve to risk it and let someone put glue on my guitar :/. Overall, me and my guitar teacher, who is a professional guitar player himself, can find only miniscule problems with it, which are easily overruled by the sound, looks, playability and, of course, the affordable price! In short- its as close tperfect as matters for any price range under a few grand- buy one before they sell out yet again! If anyone has any unanswered questions about the guitar i'd be happy to put their mind at rest and answer them :)

Trevor Raggatt

Re: my ve2000gg signature guitar review

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:23 am

My ve2000gg giltrap signature guitar arrived about a month ago... ...and i have finally put it down long enough to write a little review...

Sounds to me like that's about as much review as anyone needs!!!! 8)

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi Daniell.

PLEASE PLEASE send this through to GEAR MAGAZINE at JHS who I know would love to hear from you.

With regard to marks on the front. Mine has loads, but I like that aspect of it because it shows that it really is a working guitar. I'm sure that JHS will be delighted to send you a scratch plate to help stop any further marking. THANK YOU SO much for a great review. This has made my day.

Be Well and enjoy this remarkable guitar!

G.

daniellouisduffy

Postby daniellouisduffy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Is there an email address I can send it to or how should I get it to them?? :)

Richard716

Postby Richard716 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi Daniel,

Great review, would love to get one myself at some point.

http://www.jhs.co.uk/contact.htm

I hope the above link helps.

Happy playing, Richard

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:27 pm

Thanks Richard. That should help in contacting JHS, I know they will be delighted to hear this positive feedback..

Best.

G.

chrisandvon

Postby chrisandvon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:50 am

Great review - rather excitedly looking forward to the arrival of my guitar tomorrow from Chris Fairley and co. at Guitarzone, Halifax. :D

chrisandvon

Postby chrisandvon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:51 am

Further to my last post - what a beaut! Plugged-in she really sings - and what a variety of tones too!! I'm going to have to lower the saddle a little to make her just perfect, but that aside, what a treat!
Can anyone shed any light as to what type of "high quality american strings" I'll be replacing when adjustments are completed?

Remember - the small things ARE the big things!!

scottj1

Postby scottj1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi chrisandvon

The strings that were on my V2000GG when it arrived were D'addario.The colour coded ball ends are a giveaway for that make.I changed them straightaway too because they are obviously on a long time from the factory until you actually get the guitar and they were a bit tired.

I've fitted Martin FX custom lights to mine and they seem to be great.

It's a fabulous instrument and i would imagine anybody who buys one being very happy with it.

Scott

chrisandvon

Postby chrisandvon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks Scott,
yup, even I might have guessed that, on further inspection. I'll give the FX Martins a whirl. Having watched the accompanying dvd last evening I was blown away by both the guitar itself and (of course) GG's dexterity. Looking forward to a date in Sudbury, Suffolk in August with the man.
All the best
Chris

Remember - the small things ARE the big things

slidefever

Postby slidefever » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Hi Daniel,

I'm new here and a slide player .Your review was excellent. Can you tell me what tuning you used for slide and were the stings heavy enough? Also was the action high enough to get a full clean slide sound.

Regards

Chris

Lee Carter

Postby Lee Carter » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi all.

Lee here! This seems to be the right place to say this!

For those of you that read my initial posts (being a new member) you will know that I am an acoustic "virgin" so to speak. Spent 22yrs as a "metal head" but was well and truely converted once I saw Mr Giltrap! Anyway I wanted to buy a VE2000GG but just didn't have the funds. So, what I purchased was a Vintage VE900H. A perfectly good guitar for me to start on and has served me well to begin teaching myself. Now for my good news! Recently came into a bit of money! So what did I do? Thats right! Got myself a VE2000GG! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ! It is outstanding! For anyone out there that may be thinking "what on earth does a "metal head" know about acoustic guitars? Let me tell you. Not a fat lot! But I have been lucky enough to have played and owned some seriously high spec, expensive electric guitars over the years so I know a decent guitar when I see/play one! Rest assured this is one such guitar! Beautifully built (although local shops not dealing in the Vintage brand would have you think otherwise!) well balanced in every aspect, from weight to tone. Incredibly gorgeous and rediculously comfortable to play! Then plug it in..................get blown away! The most appealing aspect for me though, is the nut width! Why don't more manufacturers make guitars with an option of a wider nut? Just seems to make sense to me! But hey, what do I know right?

Anyway, a BIG thank you to Mr Giltrap and Mr Armstrong for producing such a wonderful instrument! (want another one now! Maybe the deluxe!)

Sorry for such a short review, I just gotta get back to playing it rather than write about it!

Take care all!

Lee.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Lee.

Worry not sir,it's a fine review,and of course I'm delighted you are happy with it,and you certainly are a man who knows his guitars.My wish( for personal reasons only) is that you check out the new deluxe model, which I play pretty much all the time now.

SO. Many people have said to me how much they love my signature instruments and of course I stand by them by using them onstage and in the studio all the time!

Thanks SO much for buying it and for telling us anoraks all about it.

Be well sir.

G.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”