Dat String Ting!

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

machinehead

Dat String Ting!

Postby machinehead » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:29 pm

Hi All,

Sorry if this is boring, I know it must've been asked a thousand times already but what string gauge does Gordon prefer, Anyone know? I have trawled the archives and found that the Martin SP's are the current brand of choice but can't find owt about gauges.

Just wondered if it's one gauge fits all or if it's a different gauge per guitar. Until recently I used Martin 80/20 11's but have just dropped down to 10 - 50 Rotosound as the old arthritis is creeping into the fingers these days and I find i'm struggling with the 52's at the fat end. Not really liking the 10's and i've seen GHS do a 11 - 50 set so I might give them a go. Anyone tried these at all?

Cheers,

Bill.

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Dat String Ting!

Postby GORDON » Mon May 02, 2011 5:39 pm

I love the Martin SP 11 gauge set, also NEWTONE do a cracking low tension Heritage set...VERY easy on the fingers!

Best.

G.

machinehead

Re: Dat String Ting!

Postby machinehead » Mon May 02, 2011 8:34 pm

Hi Gordon,

I trust you are well. Many thanks for the reply. I have used Newtone's Masterclass in the past but haven't tried the Heritage set before. Just had a look on Stringsdirect but they seem to be sold out on all gauges, must be popular. Just wondered if that 47 in the bass will be too light for an acoustic?

Thanks again for taking the trouble,

Regards,

Bill.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”