Appalachian Dreaming

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

dukecurtis3

Appalachian Dreaming

Postby dukecurtis3 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi!
First let me say how much I appreciate and love your music; having first stumbled upon you when my dad took me to your concert at Chadkirk Chapel a couple of years ago. We got there a hour and a half early, and your kind Wife let us come in and listen to a sound check that you were doing for a group of 'hardcore' fans of yours.
At the halfway break, I bought all of the albums that you have made (that I could afford to buy!) because I was so mesmorised by the music you played. I am an experienced guitar player myself and have been to concerts given by greats such as Tommy Emmanuel, Mark Knopfler and John Williams, and personally you were up there as good as (if not better) than the likes of them.
I am a keen guitar player myself (I am currently working on my Grade 7 RGT guitar playing exam), and I have learnt the masterpiece that is On Camber Sands and Isabella's Wedding (I have the book has some of your pieces in it, Troubadour) for the classical piece I have to play, and I have lots of fun learning it.
The question I am asking you today is: I cannot find anywhere to buy a book containing your piece Appalachian Dreaming; a piece I would love to be able to play for my GCSE Music (I am 14 and am currently doing my GCSEs). Is there any book you know off that I would be able to purchase that contains the music to Appalachian Dreaming?
I understand that it uses a strange tuning, however I have a Variax Guitar, and a software called Variax Workbench which allows me to change the tuning on my guitar to almost impossible tuning; I can have a bass for the low E, and the high E an octave up, and everything inbeetween! So, it would be possible for me to do all the different tunings.

Thank you for taking the time to read this email and I look forward to your responce,
Curtis Volp

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Appalachian Dreaming

Postby GORDON » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:33 pm

Hi Curtis.

I'm delighted that you regard me so highly my friend, I'm VERY flattered.

Appalachian Dreaming was written on a hi brid guitar and because of that I haven't bothered with TAB. But what with the Variax, you have made me think. SO this is what you do.

Tune the lower four strings an octave UP from concert to the the following notes..DADG...Then tune the 2nd string to A in standard pitch...Then the first string E but an octave UP from concert pitch. Then place a capo at the 5th fret BUT make sure that when capo'd up that first string is still that octave up from concert E. I know this sounds complicated but apart from modifying a standard guitar by securing that first string at the 10th fret, this is the only POSSIBLE way to go.

Once you have capo'd UP to the 5th fret your open strings will be thus..GDGCDE.From that point on it's over to you to figure it out my friend. More than this I really can't do,so.....GOOD LUCK.Failing that book a one to one with me sometime where all will be made clear.

Be Well.

G.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”