best guitar up to £250

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

gazcoop

best guitar up to £250

Postby gazcoop » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:18 pm

Hi all im looking to buy an acoustic for bout £250 , what do you recommend , as theres lots to chose from !! i can play a few chords but my cheapo is putting me off as the action is so high, !! im more a stummer than picker so like big sound ie j200 ........ help !! :?

Bob Wilson

Re: best guitar up to £250

Postby Bob Wilson » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi Gazcoop
I have an Ovation Applause and it is great value for money. It is an Electro-Acoustic mid bowl-back so does not slip or create a huge reach over and has a cut-away for the higher notes, it is also very easy to lower the action. Being a mainly electric guitarist I find this a great guitar to play fingerstyle, chords or lead guitar, and having played some of the more expensive Ovations I would say this is all you will need (it sounds great).
Check it out on:
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ovation-applaus ... lack/17948
It is under the £250 and can be sent in 24 hours. A great all round guitar
Good luck
Bob
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:48 am

gazcoop wrote:Hi all im looking to buy an acoustic for bout £250 , what do you recommend , as theres lots to chose from !! i can play a few chords but my cheapo is putting me off as the action is so high, !! im more a stummer than picker so like big sound ie j200 ........ help !! :?

Good morning sir. I can't recommend highly enough the Vintage range of acoustics from JHS. They, as you know produce my GG Signature model, but do a fantastic range of guitars to suit most pockets. They do a fabulous mahogany acoustic which retails around the £200 mark.

These guitars are SO good I would feel confident to go out and gig with them. If you can stretch to the mahogany model with the built in Fishman pick up system then go for it. It really is a no brainer. Google JHS and have a look at their fantastic range on the website, then find your local Vintage dealer and tell them I told you about these amazing guitars.

Later on this year they will be bringing out even more outstanding guitars,but if you can't wait until then...............

Thanks for the posting guv and...

Be Well.

G.

gazcoop

Postby gazcoop » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:17 am

Hi Gordon, many thanks for taking the time to reply to my posting,will check them out, if they are good enough for you then what more can i say ..........!!!

I did try a Farida D10 out in Dawsons which i liked the sound of, and was quite nice to play, Are the Vintage models set up ok from new or is it worth having them "tweaked"

Hope you and Hilary and well

Regards Gary

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:02 pm

All guitars need tweaking regardless, in my experience.

G.

Roger

Postby Roger » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:57 pm

Gary,

Have a look at Crafter and possibly Cort too. Very pleased with my Crafter D8, although it needed to be set-up properly after purchase.

Roger

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”