Scratch boards

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

guy.murray

Scratch boards

Postby guy.murray » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Hi all,
the scratch boards have fallen off one of the guitars I use due to the glue drying out. Now I have no use whatsoever for the things so could happily do without them, but there are two complications. The most important is that the guitar belongs to my wife who has had it since she was a little girl (so its pretty ancient) and has a certain sentimental attachment to it - and the scratch boards. The other issue is that the table is much lighter where they used to be so the instrument looks a mess without them, notwithstanding the remaining glue.

So the first question is, If I'm going to put them back, can anyone advise on what type of glue to use and how to prepare the surface?

Secondly, bearing in mind the importance of the plank that forms the table, does gluing two substantial bits of plastic onto it have a detrimental affect on the sound?

Finally, is the darkening of the part of the table exposed to the light likely to be in the varnish or the underlying wood?

I should add that the instrument is not of the highest quality (Italian made Kay jumbo) so not worth taking to a luthier.

ta

Guy
Guy

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:19 pm

Hello Guy.

First of all,I would suggest that you DON'T use glue to re-attach the pick guards. I would recommend double stick tape.You can get it from most good hardware stores. The stuff you want is the wide stuff with backing tape that you just peel off once you have placed it evenly on the scratch plate and have trimmed it with scissors.

Secondly...Having anything glued to the table of an acoustic guitar will effect the sound to a certain degree, so my guess is that guitar probably sounds better without them on.

Thirdly the fading I'm afraid is permanent.

Hope the above helps sir.

Be Well.

G

guy.murray

Postby guy.murray » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:06 pm

Thanks for the sound advice. I think I might just forget to stick them back on and hope she doesn't notice.

Guy
Guy

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:00 pm

mmmmmm risky.... :D

G.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”