EKO guitar

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

kevin

EKO guitar

Postby kevin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:41 am

Have just bought a 1982/3 EKO ranger 6 acoustic.
I know these were low end guitars but have heard they play well
I was interested in it because it is italian made and it looks well designed (if you are into that sort of thing) it has an adjustable bridge and I have seen a photo of Jimmy Page playing a twelve string version.
Anyone got any views?

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:56 pm

Great necks and one can get a great action on these guitars because of the bolt on neck, they can have a nice tone but sadly very little volume, would probably record well. Built like a proverbial you know what. Enjoy and have fun with it Kevin.

G.

kevin

EKO guitar

Postby kevin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:24 pm

Thanks Gordon
Just noticed theres one on Ebay, one day to go, seller is in Sutton Coldfield of all places!
Collection only if your interested. Amazing coincidence.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:34 pm

Thanks Buddy.

G.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:29 pm

I have an old Eko Ranger dating from the mid-1970s. I've heard they were a bit of a 'cheap guitar cliche', but I always liked it, nice looking and nice to play - although it is the only steel-string I've ever had, my other guitars being classicals. But one problem was that the bridge was prone to splitting. It was originally my father's guitar, and he replaced the bridge long ago: being a mechanical engineer, he did such a sound job that when this bridge also split, I ruined the guitar by trying to change it - the laminate top split when I tried to get it off. I took it to PMT in Birmingham (may have been Trevor??), who said that it would cost more than the value of the guitar to repair it. But I can't bear to get rid of it for sentimental reasons, so poor Eko is now gathering dust in the loft!

kevin

EKO guitar

Postby kevin » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:02 pm

Thats interesting Mike as when I cleaned mine up and restrung it I did notice the beginnings of a split in the bridge although I dont think its gone through yet! Now that I have had the guitar a couple of weeks I am surprised at how well it sounds but like so many impulse purchases I sort of wish I had kept the money to put towards a new quality guitar. Although they seem to go on Ebay for more than twice what I paid, I find it hard to part with guitars. Could be a keeper I think and like Gordon says "enjoy and have fun with it".

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:26 pm

Just out of interest Kevin, what is the adjustable bridge like? - mine doesn't have one. Perhaps they came in different versions, although I wasn't aware of that.

kevin

Bridge or saddle?

Postby kevin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:25 pm

Er actually Mike I may have inadvertantly mislead you. Assuming that the wooden bit is actually the brige and the white bit that the strings sit on is the saddle I have to admit that it has an adjustable saddle and not as I thought bridge. sorry about that. The saddle if thats what its called sits in a piece of aluminium with screws either end for raising and lowering, which sits in a slot in the over large wooden "Bridge".
I have not adjusted the action as it was about right for me but it looks in working order and I wonder why all acoustics do not offer this facility?
Thanks for your interest I must admit that I like the quirkeness of this guitar I am taking it to my teacher so that I can here it played by a decent musician!

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”