Gordon's Laminate guitar

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

kevin

Gordon's Laminate guitar

Postby kevin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi Gordon
Have just read the superb review of your new signature guitar in this months Acoustic magazine and was astounded to read that your original Rob Armstrong model has itself laminate back and sides.
As someone who spends half their life dreaming of expensive solid wood guitars (I only own one) I was wondering if I have been barking up the wrong tree as it were.
So I would be interested in your views on the laminate versus Solid debate as this could open up a whole new world for me. For example I have always fancied a Hummingbird, Perhaps an Epiphone now instead of a Gibson (after saving up for your signature model of course)
What do others think?
Best wishes
Kevin

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:37 pm

Hi Kevin.

I have just spent ages replying and then lost it!!!

The essence of what I said was that every maker is different and there are no hard and fast rules. Rob gets an outstanding sound using laminates and states quite emphatically that it takes a lot longer to laminate the timber, but he does it because he believes it contributes to his guitar's sound quality. I have owned and still own many of Rob's wonderful guitars and they all sound unique and fantastic. I also own many beautiful FYLDE guitars and the same can be said for them also.

There are no hard and fast rules. What works for one maker won't work for another.

My Vintage GG guitar was made to replicate exactly the one he made in 1980 which of course was of laminate back and sides construction. If it had been made of solid rosewood the same rules would have applied. It was not made for cheapness!

Let your ears be the judge my friend.

Be Well.

G.

kevin

Postby kevin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Hi Gordon
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.
What you say makes perfect sense and having heard your Rob Armstrong played, you must be delighted that its voice has been reproduced in such a good value for money version.
Thank you again
Kevin

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”