Sumbro PS1

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Richard716

Re: Sumbro PS1

Postby Richard716 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:17 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. I went with Daddario EJ45 Pro Arte. They happened to have 20% off on the day I bought them but they still nearly cost as much as the guitar!!

They took a while to settle but it holds tune quite well now. The action is still high but I still find myself playing it quite a lot. Will have to have a look at what I can do on that front.

Thanks again Richard

AndrewD

Re: Sumbro PS1

Postby AndrewD » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:12 am

Good choice. They are a reliable and solid performing string but don't be afraid to experiment. You may find something else that opens up the voice of the instrument even more.

As to the action I recommend, like Roger said, that you get a good luthier to assess it. Classical instruments don't have truss rods due to the lower tension of nylon strings and so the action can only be set by adjusting the depth of the nut grooves and the saddle height. I don't know where in the UK you are but if you are anywhere near Cheshire I know a guitar maker who is a Giltrap aficionado and would give you a good appraisal. If not then there will probably be a luthier within reach of where you are.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”