Who can recommend an acoustic guitar ??????

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Chris

Who can recommend an acoustic guitar ??????

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:13 pm

Hi, I own a sub £200 Yamaha and after 18months of playing would like to up grade. I enjoy playing fingerpicking tunes and old style rags.

I don't have much knowledge of brands and guitar body shapes but have been told about Stonebridge acoustic guitars, Hudson parlour guitars, Epiphone L OO....the list goes on. If budget was £400 - £1000 (have been told that some £500 acoustic guitars are better than 'brand' £1000) could people give me some ideas

Thanks !

Chris

London

leesguitar

Postby leesguitar » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:22 pm

Hi Chris , i tried a Tanglewood tw73 not long since , solid cedar top , solid mahogany back and sides, its a parlour size and for 330 pounds it was fantastic value , i also had a Crafter TA050 which for £250 was excellent value. I think once you get between 500 and 800 there doesnt seem much of a choice. But up to a grand id start looking at Larrivee , second hand and any made by a british luthier , they do come up for sale ,but youve got to be quick . Dont be put off by cheaper guitars, ive had high end taylors and martins and none could compete with the Yamaha LL 11 i had , best all round guitar ive had . I own a K Yari hand crafted ,small bodied guitar now , and it is just what i was after ,but i havent seen any for sale recently , Good luck and hope you find what your after Lee :D
K YARI G1F ACOUSTIC

stevejd

Postby stevejd » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:29 pm

Hi, It really depends how much you want to spend. I have a couple of handbuilt instruments which cost about £2500 each.

In terms of £300-£500 range, I would recommend Faith Guitars. They are canadian, and have a really good build quality, as well as sounding extremely good for the price. I have a Faith Jupiter which is my 'take on holiday' guitar, and with a new set of strings on it it plays really well for my style of fingertsyle solo playing, including open/altered tunings. Give me a ring if you want to chat - 07765020801.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”