Guitar neck/fingerboard

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Mike

Guitar neck/fingerboard

Postby Mike » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:31 pm

Dear Gordon,
Hope you don't mind me asking, but I wondered what type of neck and fingerboard suits your style of playing best: a wide neck like a classical guitar, or a narrower one; and a flat fingerboard (again like a classical) or one with some transverse curvature? Thanks, and hope to come to another of your great concerts again soon.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:08 pm

Hi Mike.

On my FYLDE custom models I favour a wide fairly flat fingerboard like a classical, but my Armstrong guitars have narrower ones.

In all honesty providing its not too narrow and the sound is good I can get by on any fingerboard. If its a great sounding instrument,feels comfortable and inspires, the fingerboard width and camber is secondary for me.

The older I get the less fussy I am about things like that. Having said that, it has to have a low action to accommodate my legato style of playing. I try to get the action as low as possible without buzzing. To make the harping harmonic style to work you have to have at least an 11 guage string set also.

Hope the above helps. Probably not and I have confused the issue even more.

Hope your Christmas is going well. I'm just messing about with a cheap but great sounding guitar and working on getting the action lower. I'm getting there!

Be Well sir.

G.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:15 pm

Thanks very much indeed for your reply, that's helpful to know.

It's a real privilege to be able to 'talk' to you and ask questions like this; I really appreciate it, as I'm sure do all other forum members. Happy New Year, and looking forward to more great music and concerts!

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:14 pm

Mike wrote:Thanks very much indeed for your reply, that's helpful to know.

It's a real privilege to be able to 'talk' to you and ask questions like this; I really appreciate it, as I'm sure do all other forum members. Happy New Year, and looking forward to more great music and concerts!

Mike,

It's a pleasure sir.It's only me were talking about here , not Clapton or Sting or any other superstar one cares to mention. I'm just a kid from Deptford who has been given some sort of talent, and ya know I'm just gratefull to still be able to do what I do and to still be in the business BUT.. I am flattered by your kind words sir!

Be Well and a happy 2010.

Dave Warren

Postby Dave Warren » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:21 pm

Gordon,

I'm sure you've inspired alot more people than you think!!
Thanks for reading and dont forget to check Myspace. www.myspace.com/djcwozza

Dave Warren.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”