Reposted Question for Russ

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Roger

Reposted Question for Russ

Postby Roger » Tue May 08, 2007 10:47 pm

Hi Russ,

I tried to post this question last night at about 10pm, but it never appeared, so here goes again!!

I'm thinking about buying myself a steel string acoustic in the near future. I prefer a smaller-bodied guitar, it needs to be available as a "leftie" and some sort of P/U would be nice. Any thoughts about what might be available in the "bargain basement" range? Also, I was interested about your comments re Martin and Taylor guitars, particularly as the Taylor Baby was one I had in mind.

Finally, any thought about Cort? I'm really pleased with my X2 electric and I know that their acoustics have had decent reviews.

Welcome back Guru!

Roger

PS let's hope this finds the forum this time!!

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Tue May 08, 2007 10:59 pm

Hi Roger - cor, what a question! Firstly, my opinions on Martins and Taylors are firmly placed at the lower end of their respective ranges. I just fail to understand how they can qualify asking seven or eight hundred quid for something that any other far eastern factory can churn out for less than two hundred. And as for having a couple of screws through the fretboard of the Baby Taylor???? Any other name on the headstock and they'd be laughed out of business.
Without doubt, the two most popular makes (and the best sounding ones I regularly hear at the acoustic gigs I attend) are Shine and Crafter. Both produce decent, gigable, electro acoustics for around £150, maybe a little more for a leftie. As previously stated though, I'd be more inclined to spend all of my budget on the guitar and then fit a pick-up later if needed.
Good luck wth the quest!
Russ

Roger

Postby Roger » Tue May 08, 2007 11:28 pm

Thanks as always Russ! That's a great point you make about the Baby Taylor - I just accepted the construction because of their name! I'll have a look at Shine and Crafter.

All the best,

Roger

PS Just wondering if you ever make your way across to the Southsea Folk and Roots Festival in August?

crookedpinky

Postby crookedpinky » Mon May 14, 2007 4:57 am

Hi all

I only found and registered with this forum yesterday - what a find. On the subject of small bodied guitars my other half bought me a Lag parlour guitar for Christmas. For £240 quid you get a gorgeous looking guitar, a Shadow u/s pickup system and a fantastic sound. It works really well for blues, ragtime, Django swing style and general strumming. For me it knocks the pants off Bay Taylors and other low-end models. They offer 4 slightly different models, each based on the seasons - eg Summer, Autumn etc - and each using slightly different woods. All in all, a no brainer - as they say.

regards

Alan (Crookedpinky)

:)

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”