picks

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

scottj1

picks

Postby scottj1 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:01 pm

trying to think of something for the anoraks forum and came up with the ultimate!! what type of picks does gordon use?

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:59 pm

It's funny you should say that but I'm in the middle of negotiations with a major pic manufacturer to design and produce a GG pic. More later!

Best.

G.

Dave Warren

pick

Postby Dave Warren » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:29 pm

Trusty Jim Dunlop pick the pink is my weapon choice think it's 0.6mm.
I've used this for years for my electric playing and on the odd occasion I strum the acoustic.

Dave.
Thanks for reading and dont forget to check Myspace. www.myspace.com/djcwozza

Dave Warren.

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:26 am

.74 grey nylon Dunlops. The 1.6ltr Ford of the pick world - does nothing spectacularly but still gets to to the destination on time.

Trevor Raggatt

Somewhere in a gig bag long long ago and far far away...

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:37 pm

...I've got a blue see-through GG signature pick that was given away on the front cover of Guitarist magazine. Just how sad is that?

But if you want REALLY sad check this book out... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Picks-Colorful- ... 985&sr=1-2

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:49 pm

Well, here is my choice.
I use 'thin' Langstrom Sharkfin picks most of the time. I did have some Sharkfin type picks specially made that are a slightly different shape and slightly thicker, but nothing compares to the Langstrom Sharkfin pick for me. Dunlop do a Sharkfin version, but it does not have the same feel.
I find the different areas of the Sharkfin pick are great for different types of playing. Normal strumming on the round part, fast playing with the sharp part and tricks etc with the rippled part. They are also great for palming whilst playing Gordons tunes letting you fingerpick and strum without having to search for the pick. If you haven't tried one its worth the 50p to check one out :)

Bob

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:30 pm

I started to experiment with some thumbpicks for pieces like "On Camber Sands" and "Rainbow kites". That still let me easily do damping across the bridge whilst fingerpicking most of the intricate stuff. However, I find even the largest ones very tight around my thumb. I think I'll leave them to soak in a kettle to see if I can loosen them a bit. I hadn't considered palming the flat picks - I'll try that but I do tend to hold my hand fairly open when playing so I'll probably end up dropping it!

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”