Suggestions for electric guitar

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

peterl

Suggestions for electric guitar

Postby peterl » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:38 pm

Hello folks

The wife has said I can have about £250 to spend on a cheapish electric guitar for my birthday. Being an acoustic man, I've never owned an electric, but I am a rocker at heart and want an electric now. As I have large hands, a narrow neck is not on. I love the look of the Ibanez SA260FM. It's £249 at GAK:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/iba ... 0-fm/10311
or £245 at gear4music:
http://www.gear4music.com/Electric_Guit ... efv_5.html

Also like Telecasters, but they are >>£300. I honestly don't want to go to ebay for a 2nd hand one as I'd like a new one. Suggestions welcomed. thanks, Peter

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:32 pm

Hi Peter
I have to say that Ibanez are great guitars. The necks vary but I have never played a bad one. If you do go for secondhand check out the JS100 Joe Satriani signature. My Ibanez is the JS1000 and it plays like a dream, although it is a thin neck. You could also check out some of the Epiphone LPs as they have a great fat neck. If you are after a slightly wider neck check out an SG copy. Although they are not my personal taste when I borrowed one for a gig it felt great to play and it made for more precise fingering.
Happy hunting :)
Bob

Roger

Postby Roger » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:23 pm

Peter,

I have a Cort X2 which sells for less than £200 and I'm pleased with it, but like the Ibanez the neck is ideal for my small hands and short fingers, so it may not suit you!

Remember that Gordon has played a Farida Telecaster copy in the recent past on Dodos Dream and these sell for less than £150.

As always it's probably best to try a few guitars out at a good music store, as much for the sound as the way they play.

Hope this helps,

Roger

PS Any thoughts on the amp? :D

peterl

Postby peterl » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:24 pm

thanks Bob :D

peterl

Postby peterl » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:34 pm

Roger wrote:Peter,

I have a Cort X2 which sells for less than £200 and I'm pleased with it, but like the Ibanez the neck is ideal for my small hands and short fingers, so it may not suit you!

Remember that Gordon has played a Farida Telecaster copy in the recent past on Dodos Dream and these sell for less than £150.

As always it's probably best to try a few guitars out at a good music store, as much for the sound as the way they play.

Hope this helps,

Roger

PS Any thoughts on the amp? :D

thanks Roger. The Cort looks much like the Ibanez SA series, so I'll look into them. The Farida is a possibility... if it's good enough for Gordon, damn sure it's good enough for me! There aren't many guitar dealers where I live (I live 10 miles south of Maidstone) so I'll have to travel afar to a decent dealer I think. I will try out some as it's really important that I have a confortable neck otherwise it's a waste and my fingers will get tangled up with one another! I got rid of my big Deluxe 90 Fender amp so I'll be looking for something smaller. Thanks again.

peterl

Postby peterl » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:02 pm

Bob Wilson wrote:Hi Peter
I have to say that Ibanez are great guitars. The necks vary but I have never played a bad one. If you do go for secondhand check out the JS100 Joe Satriani signature. My Ibanez is the JS1000 and it plays like a dream, although it is a thin neck. You could also check out some of the Epiphone LPs as they have a great fat neck. If you are after a slightly wider neck check out an SG copy. Although they are not my personal taste when I borrowed one for a gig it felt great to play and it made for more precise fingering.
Happy hunting :)
Bob

Bob - yes, I'd love a Satriani signature model, but I didn't win the lottery last night. I looked at the Epiphone LPs and the neck is slightly less than 43mm, similar to the 43mm Ibanez SA series and the 43mm Cort X2. My Tanglewood 6-string acoustic is 43mm; my jedson 12-string acoustic is 48mm. I guess I can live with a 43mm neck but I'd sure like one a lot wider, like my 12-string (yeah... dream on Peter :roll: ).

I've had great trouble trying to find an Ibanez dealer even remotely close to where I live in Kent. The Ibanez UK site shows no dealer info. Does anyone know where I can try out an Ibanez, either in Kent, East Sussex or London? many thanks

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:14 pm

Hi Peter
The JS100 goes secondhand for around the £300 mark so its within your budget. It sounds like you want a wide neck rather than a deep neck, so, if you don't mind the style have a good look at an SG copy. And on the amp front for practice the Roland MicroCube has everything you are likely to want for a good price. There are loads of really good practice amps out there so its really down to if you want effects, battery power etc built in.
Have a great time trying out as many guitars as possible :)
Best wishes
Bob

peterl

Postby peterl » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:18 pm

Bob Wilson wrote:Hi Peter
The JS100 goes secondhand for around the £300 mark so its within your budget. It sounds like you want a wide neck rather than a deep neck, so, if you don't mind the style have a good look at an SG copy. And on the amp front for practice the Roland MicroCube has everything you are likely to want for a good price. There are loads of really good practice amps out there so its really down to if you want effects, battery power etc built in.
Have a great time trying out as many guitars as possible :)
Best wishes
Bob

Excuse my ignorance Bob, but what is an SG?

And this is probably the amp I will get
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fen ... n-15-r/354
£69 at GAK

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:42 pm

A Gibson SG is the guitar that Tommy Iomi uses most of the time. The ones that I have played have had wide necks and made playing quite easy (a bonus in anyones book). Its not a shape that I personally like but that is a personal thing and it is a very popular guitar as they make several different models at different prices. Some of the copies are brilliant too. The amp is a great choice
Best wishes
Bob

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:43 pm

Hi Peter
I have sent you a pm which may be of interest to you.
Bob

peterl

Postby peterl » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:05 pm

I tried a few guitars at the local shop, including the Gibson SG and many others. Didn't get to try a Cort X2. But I've bought the Ibanez SA260FM plus a Fender 15R amp, both of which were exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for all the advice everybody. Now I've got to learn how to play an electric after 30 years playing an acoustic. :lol:

fingerlock

Postby fingerlock » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:00 pm

Hey Guys

I own a Gibson SG copy made by vintage and it is a fantastic guitar for the money, new they are around £170 ish i picked up mine for £100 second hand but i have seen them cheaper, a certain guitarist i know also owns one and says they are great, i also have a LP copy which is cheap but still reasonable but Vintage also make the LP model which i am told are also very good

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

Check out this link, the prices are on the high side but there are some good deals around if you look

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:40 pm

Hi Eddie (Fingerlock)
Nice link!
I particularly liked the Vintage VRS100/VRS110 Series. A very PRS style and with 24 frets and Wilkinson Whammy bar (can't be bad)
I also see an SG copy that I do like in the Vintage VS6 Series. You don't see too many psychedelic guitars any more
Cool :)
Check out this link for a new innovation in travel guitars

http://www.devillain.com/centerfold/

and Peter
The Ibanez SA260FM looks a great guitar and is bound to sound good through a Fender amp. Have fun with the new guitar styles :)

Best wishes

Bob

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:03 pm

I'm not sure if I've missed something here, but what sort of music do you want to play? Surely, at the end of the day that will be the biggest determining factor deciding what guitar/pick-up configuration to look at? As a general rule of thumb, look at what other players in your genre use - for example, you won't see many folk rockers using Dean Razorbacks and RG series Ibenez's or thrash metal merchants playing Telecasters! Also. is the guitar for gigging, recording or just home use? If the latter you can indulge yourself in something exotic if you wish - maybe a nice semi or even an entry model Variaxe or Parker Fly! The world is your six string oyster....good luck!

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:08 pm

Ooops sorry Peter..should have read the whole thread.....you've bought it! My cousin Darren is a huge Ibenez fan and owns about a dozen of them - he swears by the build quality and roadworthynness of them.
Good luck and enjoy!

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”