The fab new 12 string !

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

mistywood

The fab new 12 string !

Postby mistywood » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:49 pm

I have just been in contact with Roger at Fylde to make me a 12 string based on the Alexander, with a few differences. Roger has agreed a basic design and I will be going ahead in March/April. My question is, why the off set sound hole and bridge on the one he made for Gordon? Are these purely for appearance or (as I suspect) other reasons to do with sound.
Richard Hopkins
Llandudno
We are like butterflies, who fly for a day and think it is forever.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:11 pm

Hi Richard.

I love the quote at the end of your posting by the way, VERY thought provoking!

I guess you would really need to speak with Roger on this, but my understanding is that the fan fretting obviously effects the scale length of the treble and bass strings, allowing for heavier stringing if required on the treble side, and lighter stringing on the bass. The theory is that the shorter the scale length the lesser the tension, meaning that for example a 12 guage string will have the feel of a 10 guage but a richer sound due to the string mass, and the opposite applies to the bass side where the scale is longer making for a tighter feel on the longer scale length. All these factors of course effect the overall sound. In all honesty I'm still experimenting with tuning and string guage to hopefully find the ideal balance for my style of playing and general requirements.

Hope all the above makes sense, but as I said earlier I think it best you speak with the master on this.

Be Well and good luck with your new 12 which will no doubt be a stunner.

G.

mistywood

The 12 string

Postby mistywood » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks Gordon. I had a feeling that it had something to do with what you have explained. I am hopeful that the 12 string version of the Alexander will perform as well as the six string version (I have 2 actually, one I found on ebay-this makes 19 guitars for me!) We have discussed the fact that the top material will be different to compensate for the extra stresses. I'll post news of the beauty after I have received it. Thanks again.
Richard

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:25 am

Whoa.....what a question! Fan fretting is a serious 'Dark Art' there are probably ony a hand full of players in the whole world that can exploit the potential of it. Ummm......Gordon happens to be one of them. Good luck and best wishes with your fantastic new 12 string it sound s great, I'm sure it will give you great inspiration!
Russ

mistywood

12 string

Postby mistywood » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:50 pm

Thanks Russ. It may be a good couple of months before I place the order, but I'm already getting a bit excited about it. As I mentioned, I will post an entry when I've received (and played) the dream machine!

mistywood

12 stringing

Postby mistywood » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:25 am

On the subject of 12 string guitars, does anyone remember the old Eko Ranger 12 series-a massive and heavy body which could not be destroyed by an army of commandos with air support!! In those days, it was a common practice for 12 strings to be tuned down a tone, to lessen the stresses on the body and neck. Does anyone still do this, or has the modern string technology and build techniques made it unnecessary?

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:06 pm

I still think it best to tune a tone down regardless of light strings,it also adds to the inherent sound of the 12 methinks.Those Eko's had lovely necks on them and you could get the action really low. I reckon that with a good pickup and setup those old beasts could sound great through a PA... :D

G.

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:12 pm

Have just added a new page in the Guitar Anoraks section about the 12 string - mainly just to include a few pics I took of it at Fleet on Sat night !

http://www.giltrap.co.uk/index.php?page=news&category=05--Guitar_Anorak-apos-s_Pages&display=1559

Sue

clemdallaway

Fanned frets?

Postby clemdallaway » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:58 am

Just out of wonder........

What benefits do the fanned frets have?
Don't Eat The Yellow Snow!!!
www.myspace.com/clemdallawayguitarist

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:44 pm

AS far as I understand there are a number of benefits quoted - both tonal and ergonomic. I found hte following quote on a luthier website... http://www.doolinguitars.com/fanned.html

I offer Fanned-Fret Technology as an option on my guitars, on license from the patent holder Novax. Each string has its own scale length, offering subtle tonal advantages, and the slant of the frets follows the arc of the player's hand as it moves up and down the neck, providing an ergonomic advantage.

Rickenbacker did a (very rare) slanted (not fanned) fret 360 in the late 60s and quoted this reasoning.

Another maker, Novax quote the following benefits...

Novax Guitars announced the introduction of the Fanned-Fret retrofit bass neck; a bolt on neck that fits the two most common Fender style bass models and similar clones with no permanent modifications to the instrument body. Now players will be able to enjoy the Novax" advantage on their favorite bass. The Fanned-Fret neck offers several advantages to the player including:

- Accurate intonation
- Balanced string tension
- Even response along the entire neck
- A low E string scale length of 35 inches (Please note: This scale length allows players the option of B E A D tuning with well defined tone)

Certainly the extra scale length (and therefore heavier gauge lower) strings gives Gordon's fanned fret guitar a wonderful resonance in the lower register.

clemdallaway

Postby clemdallaway » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:37 pm

I'm gonna have to try one of these!

clemdallaway

Postby clemdallaway » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:05 pm

Has anyone tried one of these Todd Keehn guitars: http://tkinstruments.com/

Clem

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:55 pm

Hi Clem
I've not tried these guitars but what a great site. Some of the historical photos show just what can be done :) Although 32 frets may be a bit of overkill. The explanation of why he has done certain things certainly makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the link
Best wishes
Bob

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”