Fret King Gordon Giltrap Mk 1 neck dimensions at 12th fret

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

rockontommy

Fret King Gordon Giltrap Mk 1 neck dimensions at 12th fret

Postby rockontommy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:30 pm

Hi to all, in my search for an interesting 335 alternative, I am thinking of buying a secondhand FK GG Mk 1. Because of arthritis I need a slim in depth through-construction c neck, Fender type bolt on neck construction out of the question as my hand wont open over the heel to get high up the neck.
The seller of the FK tells me that at the 12th fret the dimensions are 5cm wide and 2cm deep.
However, in a review of a MK 2, I read the following: "the neck shape: a classic deep oval (21.1mm in depth at the 1st fret, 23.5mm at the 12th)"
Can anyone please confirm which is correct for the MK 1 as I would not like to travel only to find the neck unsuitable.
Many thanks
Dave.

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Fret King Gordon Giltrap Mk 1 neck dimensions at 12th fret

Postby GORDON » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:53 am

Hello sir.

I have to confess that in my ignorance I-have no idea of the neck width,things like that have never really concerned me.If a neck feels comfortable and the instrument sounds good then I play it.I was sorry to hear that you are having hand problems so the feel of the neck would be of utmost importance.All I can tell you is that I loved that guitar and was fine with it,but it’s a funny old thing when discussing the feel of a neck.I was only chatting recently with the great John Etheridge about this very subject and he was extolling the virtues of an early Gibson arch top that he owns and says the neck feels wonderful.When one plays on a neck that has been well crafted there is no doubt that one can feel the difference.I remember years ago playing an old Gibson and it was like playing silk.The same thing applied to a lovely early Gordon Smith guitar and the neck on that felt great.If you can try before you buy,if not don’t risk it! Be safe be well.G.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”