Nylon strung guitars

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Peter Lee

Nylon strung guitars

Postby Peter Lee » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:43 pm

Any members playing nylon strung guitars? Not as in classical or flamenco guitar but one of the newer types of crossover guitar that has features of steel acoustic guitars. Variations in nut width, scalelength, fingerboard radii and the likes.
I like the sound of a nylon guitar but I just can't manage the wider and flatter fingerboard of a classical. Suggestions will be gratefully received.

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Nylon strung guitars

Postby GORDON » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi Pete.

Check out the Roger Williams crossover classical on the JHS website,a stunning guitar.I used mine for the launch of the vinyl LAST OF ENGLAND album, and there is a clip on YOUTUBE I believe of the night.

G.

Peter Lee

Postby Peter Lee » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:27 pm

Hello Gordon and thanks for the John Hornby Skewes website suggestion. I'll have a look on YouTube of you playing the Roger Williams crossover guitar.

Thank you,
Pete.

Moodyblue

Postby Moodyblue » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:32 pm

Ah Nylon string guitars. Always loved them.
An old guitar teacher of mine from the 80's owned a Giannini 6 string and it was lovely. I bought one from Ebay last year on a whim, but oh what a disappointment. It's been played for about an hour since it arrived. Kind of sad really.
I think you really have to hunt these fellas down as they aren't widely stocked in most guitar shops.

Very interesting recommendation Gordon by the way.

sultan4swing

Postby sultan4swing » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:44 pm

Back in the late 1960's when I first starting playing and singing, one of my mates had an accoustic guitar with a massive body - can't remember the name - but with nylon strings.... It was obviously a steel-strung instrument - it had a narrow non-classical guitar neck. Have not seen such an instument since..... Re another post on budget classical guitars - have recently bought a Yamaha one - with pickup - around GBP150.... It's fine for me for general finger picking but not playing classical guitar beyond an acceptable (to me) standard. But not a patch on previously owned classical guitars back in 1970's - a B&M and especially an Aria (the latter now a classy instrument)... Still have a 1960's EKO 12S, an Ovation 12S, and the piece de resistance, my 1976 Yamaha's first solid top accoustic 6S, CC-838S, purchased new around 1976, for about GBP200, a lot of money then.... now worth around USD1500-2500, still plays like a dream - even if I don't.... !!!!

Andrew Loake

Re: Roger Williams crossover and cheap guitars

Postby Andrew Loake » Fri May 22, 2020 10:09 am

I recently bought a "Roger Williams" nylon-strung crossover guitar (the only other nylon guitar I had at that point was a parlour guitar, made in Swindon in around 1820 and I wanted something I could use occasionally for gigging). I bought the Roger Williams 2nd hand, but it was "as new" and I'm sure nothing had been done to it since it was purchased. I have to say that the set up was not good: the nut was too high, the radius on the bridge insert was just wrong and the strings were not balanced through the pickup - and, believe it or not, there was a high fret. So, it took a bit of time for me to correct these issues and to set it up properly.
But: When the work was done, my goodness, what a fabulous guitar! It's not just good value for the money, it's wonderful by almost any standard.
I've been playing for a long time and I remember that, when I started, cheap guitars were awful and they used to hurt! Nowadays though, you don't have to spend a lot of money to get something decent - it's just a shame that many cheap guitars aren't better set-up. I'm lucky to be able to do it myself, but for those that can't it's more difficult.
Now, I know that the cost of having a guitar set up by a luthier can be almost as much as buying a cheap guitar. The industry has made HUGE advances over the last few decades - but, if cheaper guitars could be better set-up at the point of purchase, we could soon get everybody playing!!
Keep spreading the word.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon May 25, 2020 2:57 pm

I could not agree with you more. Sadly many companies don't have the time to set up instruments when they leave the warehouse. Most guitars need setting up to a players individual requirements. I always set up my own guitars in a sort of intuitional way but it works for me but I have been doing it for a long time now, so wouldn't recommend you doing it yourself if you don't have the skills.

I have the Williams classical and its an outstanding guitar. So once set up will give years of playing pleasure.

Hope the above helps.

G.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”