I'd never heard of Massimo Varini - have you?

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Oldbones

I'd never heard of Massimo Varini - have you?

Postby Oldbones » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:26 pm

Isn't it a joy when you unexpectedly discover a superb musician demonstrating a guitar with incredible skill and musicianship?

I was at a loose end and started cruising Youtube watching demos of such 'ordinary' little guitars as the Guild D-125, and 1512E, 2512E or a Martin D12X1AE, not to mention a Taylor 150e and so on and so on. But after soaking in some amazing sounds, I got a bit saturated with their sound, so decided to go retro. For me that can only mean harking back to my days with a rock solid, heavy-as-a-brick but great-sounding Eko Ranger. I knew Eko were still around with new models so off I tootled into other (mostly foreign) regions of Youtube. And that was when I encountered Massimo Varini.

I'm guessing he's the main man for demonstrating Eko guitars but ye gods - can he play ... and more to the point ... can he play 12 strings!

I speak barely a word of Italian but Eko seem to do what few other makers do - they upload not just the usual demos with spoken descriptions and comments, but they also upload what they call 'audio tests' of their guitars being played without any commentary.

I love the way he sometimes smiles to himself as he plays particular licks or patterns ... I've noticed this in lots of his demos of other instruments. This is a man who loves guitars.

So if you fancy seeing a real expert demonstrating one of the new Eko 12's and REALLY showing just how well he can play it and make it sound --- watch this - and enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRYQ_5hYsSE

Many of his uploads naturally involve a lot of explanation (in Italian, of course) but then he ends with excellent demos.

And just to go back to the retro theme ... try this (Ahhhh, memories, sweet memories) ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlN9dqb_e1w
It isn't how fast you can play that counts - it's that you only play as fast as you need to play that is important.
Silence can be as eloquent as sound.

BRC

Re: I'd never heard of Massimo Varini - have you?

Postby BRC » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:01 am

Good to see you are 'back in the swing' with recent contributions.

The name 'Massimo Varini' does vaguely ring a bell in my fading memory, though have not been able to figure out why. I like the sound of his playing and, like you, the EKO 12 string conjures up many fond memories - my original machine still exists and is playable, though with someone else now.

Having watched the YouTube videos I would be interested to hear the guitar unplugged as only then can its true characteristics be heard. I have a visit to London next week and will try to seek out such a guitar. Usually I pay a visit to the Denmark Street area, though with so much disruption there due to the cross-rail link excavations many of the shops are being relocated for the duration of those works, thus I may not be able to find all my usual haunts. I shall report back.

Kind regards
Brad
Life is about memories. Live today and treasure the memories.

Oldbones

Postby Oldbones » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:17 pm

BRC wrote:Good to see you are 'back in the swing' with recent contributions

Thanks. I was very appreciative of the supportive and kind comments I received a little while ago from forum members. My wife's death after 10+ years fighting cancer took a considerable emotional toll on me and my daughter. I'm now coming to the end of packing up my house prior to a planned move to live nearer my daughter and her family (which includes two young grandaughters (one 'd' or two??) of 4 and 6 who wield my ukuleles like seasoned hard-rockers .... not very tunefully, but certainly enthusiastically). I'm trying to get back into my music and, as you noticed, to jump into the forum every now and then.

BRC wrote:Usually I pay a visit to the Denmark Street area

Lucky you. It's a long time since I've visited The Great Metrollops but one of the things I want to do for myself sometime next year is to explore Newcastle and Sheffield which are places about which I hear good things, and also to treat myself to a trip down to London to have a nostalgic wander around the the guitar shops. Whether or not I take any plastic in my wallet, however, is definitely another matter!!

Glad you enjoyed the Massimo uploads. I've watched quite a few of his and am quite taken with the Eko MIA 018 CW XII EQ. As you say, you need to hear these things for yourself 'in the wood' but I do have very fond memories of my old Eko Ranger. Not a sophisticated instrument but they seem to go on and on and on.

I'm already looking forwards to your account of any attempts to navigate potholes, pits or massive excavations in search of your favourite shops.

Best wishes and happy wandering.
Alan.
It isn't how fast you can play that counts - it's that you only play as fast as you need to play that is important.

Oldbones

Postby Oldbones » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:44 am

I recently bought the CD+DVD 'My sides' by Massimo. It's truly superb. The DVD is an especially good bonus with a lot of material on it in three categories:-
VIDEOCLIPS - His playing used as background music to videos
VIDEO LIVE - In concert playing with his group and also with a singer
STUDIO SESSIONS - Lots of excellent video (without any unnecessary trick shots).

That latter group of videos is, for me, the outstanding set on the DVD.

The CD is equally excellent and is well worth listening to on repeat. Lots of variety in styles but all unaccompanied acoustic. If you have checked Massimo out on Youtube and liked what you saw and heard, then I definitely recommend this CD/DVD.

I bought my copy from Amazon where I also posted a longer review:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Sides-Massi ... imo+varini

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”