Thalia Capos

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

AndrewD

Thalia Capos

Postby AndrewD » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:15 am

Having discovered Thalia Capos through Carrie Martin I have indulged in one. They are exceptional bits of kit, not cheap, but beautiful, functional and easy to use. They come in 3 finishes: gold, chrome or black chrome (mine is black chrome). They also have lots of inlays to choose from and it is this that makes it such a stunning bit of kit. Mine is papa, a type of snail shell that looks like mother of pearl but more purple. It extends all the way around to the back of the capo and stops just before the hinge.

They open by squeezing them which opens the arm that holds the capo against the back of the neck. Each capo comes with 14 inserts, 7 are rubber and 7 are teflon. Each insert has a different radius to suit different neck shapes and one is completely flat to suit a classical instrument.

If you want to drool then go to their website...as I said they aren't cheap but then works of art rarely are! :D

BRC

Re: Thalia Capos

Postby BRC » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:35 pm

Wow, Andrew, they are expensive compared to my Shubb and Kyser capos!
However, cost isn't always the deciding factor over usability and durability. Perhaps after you have been using the Thalia for a while you could let us (all of us) have an updated opinion on the factors I mention above.

I see from the photo that it comes with a variety of 'rubber' inserts and it is this part that eventually hardens and makes a capo less useful. How easy are these to change? That is also a 'durability' factor that begs the question as to how long a single insert will be usable.

They certainly look interesting and very desirable works of art, though of course have to perform exceptionally well to justify the price, for me anyway.

Thanks for any advice you are able to offer in the long term usability.

Kind regards
Brad

Roger

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Yes a lot more expensive than my trusty (very) old Heriba, but I have to say that they look good and appear to be very well made!

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:53 pm

@Brad - the inserts are a doddle to change, takes seconds. It needs to be as the inserts are designed to be used on instruments with different radius necks so they are hot-swappable. So far I've just used the teflon ones which are quite hard. I'm going to give the rubber ones a try next.

BRC

Postby BRC » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:11 pm

Andrew,

A very quick update to let you know that I am now the proud owner of a Thalia capo.

Whilst away in Germany in September 2020, I had the opportunity to see and try a friends Thalia capo and, avoiding trying to pinch his, decided what it was I wanted for a Christmas present. It was duly bought from Thomannn.de at a much cheaper price than I could find elsewhere online - including p&p. The only issue was there was no offer to have my name personalised on the product - not an issue for me.

Thanks for the 'heads up' on this. I am delighted with my Thalia capo and will be interested in the durability. The interchangeability of the inserts allows that to be quite extensive.

Kind regards
Brad :)

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”