Lightest strings for 1972 Yamaha FG100

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

vigman

Lightest strings for 1972 Yamaha FG100

Postby vigman » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:45 pm

Hi

I have an old faithful Yamaha FG100 bought in 1972. I know the neck is straight at Gordon himself checked it out at Cassington when he visited (and signed the guitar!)

I really need strings that I can do pull offs and bends on but even the lightest I buy now seem to be too firm at concert pitch.

I don't want to harm the guitar by releasing too much pressure from the neck but really need lighter strings.

Gordon also mentioned a luthier in Litchfield a long time ago for adding electronics to my Norman 6 string but I can't find that information at the moment?

Any advice welcomed, please

TIA

Vigman
Gordon signed my guitar at the Sloop Inn, IOW, 1969/70 whilst I was in the resident band "Witchazel"!.....and now at Cassington Village Hall October 2008.

BRC

Re: Lightest strings for 1972 Yamaha FG100

Postby BRC » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:41 pm

I have found the Elixir custom light strings to be very pliable without losing much, if any, of the lower end tone.

Over recent years I have used Elixirs on 3 of my guitars ranging from the custom light on my Yamaha CPX700 (this is about 9 years old), light on my Martin and medium on my travel guitar. I still use D'Adarrio light on my Vintage VE2000GG 12 string, and very happy with tone and playability.

The Elixirs are more expensive though much more durable than other strings I have used. Shame on me, but, I left a set on my Martin for nearly a year and though noticeable that they were wearing they still had a good deal of sustain to them.

I hope that helps.

Brad

P.S. Good to see Gordon returning to action :D

vigman

Re: Lightest strings for 1972 Yamaha FG100

Postby vigman » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:35 pm

Many thanks for that, Brad!

Vigman
Gordon signed my guitar at the Sloop Inn, IOW, 1969/70 whilst I was in the resident band "Witchazel"!.....and now at Cassington Village Hall October 2008.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”