Simon and Patrick 12 String

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

DaveLeighton

Simon and Patrick 12 String

Postby DaveLeighton » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:58 pm

I bought a Norman B20 12 string a few weeks go but got a refund (the bridge was lifting and the action was so high it was unplayable). There was also a crack at the base of the guitar.

I have a chance of a second hand Simon & Patrick 12 string. Does anyone know if they are any good? I am just looking for something reasonable for experimentation at the moment.

Dave

scottj1

Re: Simon and Patrick 12 String

Postby scottj1 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:08 pm

Hello Dave

Yes...Simon and Patrick are good quality guitars for modest money.

They are from the same family of Canadian guitars which fall under the banner of Godin as is Norman,Seagull and the Godin electric guitars.

I wouldn't let the experience with the Norman put you off the brand as a whole.

My experience with any Canadian guitar is that they are much better than anything from China or Taiwan and quite often can be in a similar price point.

Only my opinion of course : )

Good luck with your search...

Scott

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:02 pm

I'd agree. My wife has a Norman B20 Folk which she bought years ago and which is still a lovely sounding and playing guitar. Any of the guitars from the Godin stable represent really good value for money. I'm sure that I read somewhere that they get subsided tonewoods produced from Canadian forest maintenance programmes - which means that for any price point the woods that they use will be head and shoulders above the quality that similarly priced guitars use.

Of course and second hand guitar needs a good level of scrutiny before you commit but I hope that your previous experience was a one-off.

Roger

Postby Roger » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:03 am

Dave,

Sounds as if the Norman 12 string has been put under too much stress (tuned to concert pitch with heavy gauge strings over a long period?), which has resulted in what you have seen.

Good luck with your new guitar :D

Roger

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:24 am

Trevor Raggatt wrote:I'd agree. My wife has a Norman B20 Folk which she bought years ago and which is still a lovely sounding and playing guitar. Any of the guitars from the Godin stable represent really good value for money. I'm sure that I read somewhere that they get subsided tonewoods produced from Canadian forest maintenance programmes - which means that for any price point the woods that they use will be head and shoulders above the quality that similarly priced guitars use.

Of course and second hand guitar needs a good level of scrutiny before you commit but I hope that your previous experience was a one-off.

I like em.G.

DaveLeighton

Postby DaveLeighton » Wed May 04, 2016 11:21 am

Thanks guys.

I bought the guitar. It has the odd ding but plays beautifully. It will sound amazing when I get new strings on it I think (I left the last set of strings I bought on the Norman).

My lad (who will be the main user) really likes it too.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”