VE2000GG versus VE2000DLX guitars

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

mel randall

VE2000GG versus VE2000DLX guitars

Postby mel randall » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:37 pm

Hi
I am looking for a little advice as regarding the VE2000GG guitar and the deluxe version which I believe is the VE2000DLX
I was about to purchase the VE2000GG when I found the electro acoustic deluxe model at not too much more in price and having looked at the reviews from various sources including Chaz and Dave I am now bewildered as they rate it as good as the Martin guitar they own. My dilemma is not the money but the suitability for what I want and is the deluxe model worth paying the extra for. The type of music I play is mainly folk either by strum or finger style and in various venues which are either plugged in or just acoustic. At the moment I play an electro acoustic inexpensive guitar which I bought specifically for the various dubious venues I used to play up to around 5 years ago, to which I made adjustments to for a better play and sound, but I have recently been asked to come out of musical retirement and have been asked if I will play north of England and into Scotland which I moved to 4 years ago. The VE2000GG seemed just right but where I live is miles away from any shops to suit my needs and none of them have either so I will be ordering off the internet which is not my usual way but needs are must.

Mel

BRC

Re: VE2000GG versus VE2000DLX guitars

Postby BRC » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:42 am

Mel,

I bought the VE2000gg 12 string just over 2 years ago (see my review on the 'Guitar Anoraks Forum - at the moment on page 2) and did so without being able to 'try out' in any music/guitar shops. I am till very pleased (delighted!?) with that guitar and you should bear in mind that it is essentially the 6 string version, as designed, adapted as a 12 string.

Pricewise, value wise, sound wise - I don't think you will be disappointed with the standard 6 string VE2000gg version, which has the Fishman Presys Blend preamp and Sonicore pickup system (as does the 12 string). This seems just fine to me, though I do not use my 12 string amplified very often. The DLX model sports the Fishman Rare Earth Blend pick up, which should be better than the standard model, though how much is a question of personal judgement, for which there is no real substitution for trying for yourself to find out how much differences there is. I do understand your dilemma of not having any suitable shops within reasonable distance of you so hopefully others who have had experience of both models can chip in with comments on their experiences.

My 12 string is very suitable for finger picking and strumming (I am more of a 'picker' than a 'strummer') and therefore the 6 string standard VE2000gg should be just right for both - as of course would the DLX model.

Over to others for further comment - and good fortune in your quest for the right model for you.

Brad

mel randall

Postby mel randall » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:19 pm

Thank you for your input Brad. I think I will have a think about it over the weekend then looks as though I will be tossing a coin to see which one
Mel

mel randall

Postby mel randall » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:28 pm

Didnt bother tossing a coin just ordered the VE2000DLX got to wait around a week for delivery now
Mel

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:56 pm

mel randall wrote:Didnt bother tossing a coin just ordered the VE2000DLX got to wait around a week for delivery now
Mel

Suspect that was the sensible option if saving some pennies isn't a factor. The solid rosewood back and sides and other woods in the DLX will be a higher quality than on the standard where the mahogany back and sides are laminated (and rosewood is supposed to give a brighter tonality to the supposedly mellower mahogany). However, the Fishman Rare Earth is a cracking pickup and much more akin to the set up that GG uses - not to mention that just buying one of these pickups separately would set you back £250!!! Well worth a little extra cash for the DLX.

If I was in the market for a new guitar at the moment then the VE2000DLX would be right at the top of a list of 1 guitars. Looking forward to hearing your review when you have it in your hands.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:07 am

Trevor Raggatt wrote:
mel randall wrote:Didnt bother tossing a coin just ordered the VE2000DLX got to wait around a week for delivery now
Mel

Suspect that was the sensible option if saving some pennies isn't a factor. The solid rosewood back and sides and other woods in the DLX will be a higher quality than on the standard where the mahogany back and sides are laminated (and rosewood is supposed to give a brighter tonality to the supposedly mellower mahogany). However, the Fishman Rare Earth is a cracking pickup and much more akin to the set up that GG uses - not to mention that just buying one of these pickups separately would set you back £250!!! Well worth a little extra cash for the DLX.

If I was in the market for a new guitar at the moment then the VE2000DLX would be right at the top of a list of 1 guitars. Looking forward to hearing your review when you have it in your hands.

Me too.

G.xx

mel randall

Postby mel randall » Thu May 05, 2016 11:28 pm

Well I have had the VE2000DLX now for almost 2 weeks and I am really pleased with it.
When it came I noticed the action looked just about right unlike the comments and my experiences with guitars from China and eventually when I put it down I found a certificate amongst the paperwork saying it had been set up a couple of days before it arrived. Very impressed.
It suits my style of playing really well and I have found subtleties which are enhanced playing from softly to loudly which I have not experienced on any of my other guitars without being plugged in which I think will go down well on unplugged small venues.
On the subject of plugged in the Fishman rare earth pickup is really impressive played through my Blackstar id core amp and I am looking forward to when I play next month through a sound system in front of an audience. ~I found the all round sound set up is with the control set midway which seems ok playing fingerstyle or strumming.

On my subject of my post as regarding the comparison between the 2 guitars who cares I am more than happy with my purchase.

One question - what replacement strings is recommended for this guitar?

Mel

BRC

Postby BRC » Fri May 06, 2016 12:29 pm

Mel,

Really good to see your update, plus the 'can of words' you have opened on the subject of strings. That is a subject that has been covered elsewhere in this forum, though does no harm in taking it on again.

I have used Martin Lifespan light phosphor bronze, also the D'Addario equivalents for most of the last 20 (or more) years and been happy enough with those for my 6 string guitars and very much so for my VE2000GG-12. However, 2 or 3 years back I decided to try Elixir phosphor bronze lights on my Martin (perverse, I know) and Elixir bronze 16 - 70s on my Taylor baritone, plus Martin Lifespan lights on my Yamaha. I am delighted with the tone, accuracy and longevity of the Elixirs, though have to say the issue is that they do cost at least twice the price of the Martin equivalent. The Elixirs I have used so far do maintain their presence and clarity for quite a good deal longer than any strings I have previously used. I have not changed those on my Martin since July last year and still very acceptable tone - enough of a sustain, or 'ring', to them to be able to use in performance.

It will, of course, depend on how often you play your guitar as to what might suit you. I play for probably an hour or more each day, on average (depending how the arthritis in my left hand wants to annoy me), and 2 or 3 times in a month for around 4 hours at a rehearsal session. The Elixirs are well suited to this usage. My 12 string is a more occasional instrument than the 6 stringers so doesn't get as much usage, though does need the strings changing at least every 4 months. I use 'Fast Fret' string cleaner/lubricant, or Kyser 'Dr Stringfellow' after each session which does help keep down the acids and grease from the fingers.

Gordon had at one time recommended 'Wyre' strings though not sure if they are still available - I have not tried those - and may be able to make further comment.

I hope I haven't muddied the waters too much, though do fear that the issue of 'which strings' can come down to 'taste and fancy'. My comments are made from my point of view of experience. It may come down to you just having to experiment to get the right string for you and your VE2000DLX.

Good fortune and enjoyment in your quest.

Kind regards
Brad

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”