Giltrap guitar, help!

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Pie

Giltrap guitar, help!

Postby Pie » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:55 am

Hi there guys.

Let me give you a bit of a back story.. Basically, one of my family members passed away who was really into recording music and as a result of that I have inherited a load of wonderful music equipment that I just can't do justice.. I have kept some that hold sentimental value but this one in particular I'm hoping someone here can help me with!

I have a Vintage giltrap guitar VE2000GG in a rather fetching case, with a signature from what appears to be Rob Armstrong inside of it.

I was hoping someone could tell me a little bit about it? I was under the impression this guitar was my family member's pride and joy so I think it has a bit history.

Few specific questions too.. (I am not a guitar anorak!)

Was this guitar originally left handed or has it been converted?

Does the signature hold significance or do they all come with it?

If so, where could I take it to be sold so it goes to someone who would appreciate it? And a ballpark for how much for?

I'm selling on behalf of the widow but I'm not here to sell it as I know that isn't what the forum is for, but any guidance would be particularly helpful!!

I've hopefully attached a link to some pictures, if you need some more or I haven't given enough information, I'll be more than happy to oblige.

Any input is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

http://m.imgur.com/a/jIRv2

BRC

Re: Giltrap guitar, help!

Postby BRC » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:12 pm

This is a guitar produced by Vintage (JHS) to a design by Rob Armstrong from a previous instrument built specifically for Gordon. Something of a long sentence but encapsulating the 'essence' of this guitar.

Sorry to say it is not a unique instrument in the sense of being a very limited edition - though not sure about that applying to a left-handed model. It has been around for about 5 years now and has a very good reputation. I have the 12 string model and very pleased with it after just over 2 years of ownership. Here is a link to the JHS website for you to browse http://www.jhs.co.uk/gordongiltrap.html.

It is hard to tell from your images whether or not it was originally built as a left-hander or has been adapted. The saddle (the white bit on the bridge where the strings come through the body of the guitar) seems to be configured correctly. However if built as a left-hander the controls for the pickup should be on the right hand side of the guitar as you look at it face-on.

Price wise there is quite a variation between dealers though the model you refer to is usually between £300 to £350 - complete with the case as shown in your photographs. I am sure there are willing buyers, though don't expect to get a big price for it as a used guitar. I wouldn't like to guess what a second hand model would fetch and could not find a guide for such on sites such as eBay. I suppose the answer is whatever someone is prepared to pay albeit at a lower price than brand new.

I hope that helps a little.

Brad
P.S. Why not suggest keeping it and learning to play it.

Pie

Postby Pie » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:25 am

Hi Brad,
Really appreciate the reply, very helpful thank you! The controls are on the right hand side of the guitar, however there is a panel on the left hand side suggesting that it was in fact converted.

I was kind of hoping the signature had some significance!

This is one of many guitars, I am keeping one but I'm afraid I can't keep them all!

Thanks again.

BRC

Postby BRC » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:50 pm

You are welcome to the little bit of background I have been able to give.

My VE2000GG 12 does not have the Rob Armstrong signature on the internal label, so there may be some significance to that. Only Rob Armstrong or JHS would be able to give any insight.

I must admit that I would be concerned at the conversion to left hand as you have described it, though it may be perfectly done and not be to the detriment of the instrument.

Sorry if my previous response came over as a little patronising - particularly referencing 'the saddle' - it wasn't meant to be. I have known people who collect guitars but don't play and have very little knowledge of what the parts on a guitar are called and that is why I gave a simple reference in those terms. All my guitars are for playing, whether they look good or not or whether they could be collectibles.

If you follow up on your VE2000GG I am sure that there are many of us who would like to know the outcome. I am going to sound patronising again, but, it might help if you can quote the guitars serial number when making those enquiries.

Good fortune in your quest.

Brad

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”