Taylor GS Mini - my review

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Oldbones

Taylor GS Mini - my review

Postby Oldbones » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:06 pm

As with my review of the VE8000PB-12, I’ll begin by listing a few key facts and features and will then follow that with a more subjective description of my impressions of the guitar that I have owned for about 3 years. I’ll endeavour to keep this review shorter than the one I wrote for the VE8000PB-12.

For those who want to hear the guitar and see my close-up pictures of it (and a few arty-farty ones as well), I uploaded a couple of doodlin’, noodlin’ and pootlin’ demos. One shows how to fit the ES-Go pickup:

Taylor GS Mini close-up --- http://youtu.be/gFUckO7YGIg
Taylor GS Mini & ES-go pickup – 3-part demo (includes John Pearse bug) - http://youtu.be/PIMS-EyhQFY

However, there are oodles of other uploads featuring demos, reviews and performances by players far better than me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guitar make and model --- Taylor GS Mini (The ‘GS’ = ‘Grand Symphony’)

Features, Dimensions and design
Body Style – scaled-down ‘Grand Symphony’ shape
Type – designed as a ‘travel’ guitar
Country of manufacture – Mexico
No. of Frets – 20 with body-join at the 14th.
Guitar soundboard - solid Sitka spruce
Back and sides - laminated sapele
Neck - mahogany
Fingerboard and bridge - ebony
Nut & saddle – Nubone
Scale Length – 59.7cm
Overall length of guitar (headstock to base) – 93.5cm
Width and depth of upper bout – 25.5cm and 8.1cm
Width and depth of lowest bout – 36.5cm and 9.75cm
Weight – exactly 4lbs
Finish - Satin natural
Tuners – chrome
Strap buttons – endpin and on heel.
Strings - Elixir medium-gauge Nanoweb
Bracing - X Bracing with relief rout but NO bracing on back which is slightly convex.
Inlays - Pearloid Dots echoed on neck edge
Case – GS Mini hardbag (included as part of guitar purchase)
Electro – optional ‘easyfit’ ES-Go (Expression System) which has to be bought separately

Sound and playability
I’ll quote extracts here from the Dec 2010 review by Nicole Solis from ‘Acoustic Guitar’ as it covers just about everything I was going to write - “... The GS Mini’s deep body not only makes it feel like a full-size guitar; it also makes it sound like a full-size guitar. However lightly or hard I strummed the guitar, it matched my effort with equal volume. Strummed softly or with a medium attack, the Mini produces a warm, clear tone that slightly favors the midrange but with bright trebles and a rich bass ... As I flatpicked fiddle tunes, the notes were crisp and clear, articulating the melody on all six strings. This snappy tone helps bass runs rise above ringing chords and also suits less busy melodies, such as bluesy single-line riffs. Fast runs pop off the string, but long notes held for as long as I wanted them to, though occasionally I had to use palm muting to get a cleaner sound. The sustain fills in the chords on cross-picked tunes ….. the prominent midrange brings a punch to jazz chords, which, with the guitar’s comfortable factory setup and neck, are easy to play up and down the fingerboard. I fingerpick with a light touch, but I was able to effortlessly get a balanced, even tone, and I really appreciated the full-sounding bass…”

Reliability and durability
I’ve owned this guitar for just over 3 years, and play it pretty well every day, Nothing has ever needed to be tweaked. No problems have arisen. I like Elixir strings anyway, but they suit this guitar perfectly; lasting and ringing clear for ages.

Overall impression
Once again, I’ll quote Nicole Solis whose opinion is exactly what I would have chosen to write: “…The … compact size of the GS Mini makes it a great go-anywhere guitar for frequent travelers, outdoor types, and even living-room pickers. With its wide dynamic range, clear tone, long sustain, and affordable price, it’s a satisfying and fun guitar to strum, fingerpick, or flatpick and would be a great second—or even first—guitar for any player who needs to have a quality instrument always within reach … “
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal impressions and subjective experiences

So what is it like to play and how does it compare to other 6er guitars that I have owned?
In the past I’ve owned several acoustic 6ers [eg: Yamaha F401, Faith FJCE (jumbo), Lag 200PE parlour] but the GS Mini is the one I will keep until whomsoever acts my executor has to decide whether to sell the guitar or pass it on within the family. It’s a supremely comfortable guitar to play and has an incredibly rich sound that totally belies its size. If the measurements I listed don’t immediately form a comparative image in your mind, try this: I measured a standard classical guitar using the same parameters …

Overall length of guitar (headstock to base) – 99cm
Width and depth of upper bout – 28.2cm and 9.2cm
Width and depth of lowest bout – 37.5cm and 9.6cm

How does it suit my playing style?
Definitely the best and easiest 6er I’ve owned. Very stable and buzz-free when downtuned by a whole tone. I'm not much of a fingerpicker, but the GS Mini certainly makes even my poor attempts sound better. I mostly play with a plectrum or thumbpick and find the low action of the GS Mini to be ideal. My impaired left hand has very few problems with this guitar – it’s very easy and comfortable to play. It hangs well when used with a shoulder strap.

Any niggles?
Two –
1) The hardbag case is superb and much, MUCH better than the ‘zero gravity’ case provided with the VE8000PB-12, but the one thing it lacks is an internal accessories compartment. I’ve overcome that by using a small soft case of the type sold for keeping bathroom soaps etc. in when you go traveling.
2) The GS Mini comes pre-fitted with everything necessary for the optional ES-Go pickup. However, I’m not convinced this unit is as good as, say, a Fishman. I have one and find its output low. Some folks have reported a hum, but I haven’t experienced that. I believe that some of the new GS Minis can be bought with the ES-Go already fitted …. I’d recommend testing them before buying in case you prefer the idea of a separate across-soundhole pickup. If you opt to buy the ES-Go and the V-cable, you end up paying about the 1/3rd of the cost of the guitar. Take care and try first.

A totally subjective summary:
An amazing and very affordable guitar that makes the Baby Taylor look and sound like a tinny toy. When Taylor introduced this guitar in July 2010 they’d have known they were in for a success – but the exponential sales prove just how good this guitar is and also why there are an increasing number of variants now being released in what has become a ‘series’. If you get the chance – try one and don’t blame me if you find yourself reaching for your wallet.
It isn't how fast you can play that counts - it's that you only play as fast as you need to play that is important.
Silence can be as eloquent as sound.

Roger USA

Re: Taylor GS Mini - my review

Postby Roger USA » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi Oldbones,

Thanks for your very detailed review and You Tube clips.

I bought a Taylor GS Mini early last year and I would concur with most of your views, it is a wonderful sounding instrument in a very portable package.

The excellent action that my guitar had initially seems to have deteriorated a little, but that is no doubt due to me not providing adequate protection from the detrimental effects of the humid summers and dry winters over here.

All the Best,

Roger

Oldbones

Postby Oldbones » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:03 pm

Roger USA wrote:The excellent action that my guitar had initially seems to have deteriorated a little, but that is no doubt due to me not providing adequate protection from the detrimental effects of the humid summers and dry winters over here.

Hi Roger. Thanks for commenting on my review. The one thing that Bob bangs on about in pretty well every issue of 'Wood and Wire' is the importance of humidity control. I haven't noticed any significant changes as regards the action of my GS Mini but that's probably down to the fact that our UK climate doesn't tend to shift violently between seasons (although things are changing a bit of late), and I usually keep my guitar in one room pretty well all the time. I don't gig, so it doesn't move between indoors and outdoors. I currently have it downtuned by a whole tone and will soon see if it can cope with going down another half tone.

Over the coming months, if I feel like it, I may write reviews of a few other guitars that I've accrued and which I've found suit me really well because of that left-hand problem. I'm thinking especially of the PRS SE semi-hollow and possibly the Crafter 12 string. Not sure about the Vintage V100 (I have the 'Iced Tea' version) as I think most guitarheads will already know about them or will have played one .... but, like the GG12 and the PB12, they are almost unbelievable value for money.

I've just had a random thought .... is it worth asking whether it might be an idea for Sue or Gordon to consider having a Forum area devoted solely to members' reviews (or anecdotes) featuring their favourite guitars .... or maybe the ones which made them shudder with horror?
It isn't how fast you can play that counts - it's that you only play as fast as you need to play that is important.
Silence can be as eloquent as sound.

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:58 pm

Hi Oldbones,

the Guitar Anoraks Section was intended to be the place to post any / all such guitar related topics so I'm not sure we really need another section but happy to set one up if Gordon would like me to. :?:

Sue
GG webmaster

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:20 am

Sue wrote:Hi Oldbones,

the Guitar Anoraks Section was intended to be the place to post any / all such guitar related topics so I'm not sure we really need another section but happy to set one up if Gordon would like me to. :?:

Sue

Thanks Sue,but as you say we have this Anoraks section for exactly that reason,I see little point in creating a new page, but thanks Oldbones for the thought.

G.

Roger

Postby Roger » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:36 am

Oldbones/Roger USA,

Here is a link to a thread from a few years ago concerning humidity:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=460&p=1764#p1764

When we moved from an old Victorian house with high ceillings to a warmer modern house the action of my guitars changed over time, but this was corrected by some minor truss rod adjustment.

Hope this is of interest,

Roger

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Thu May 01, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi Roger,

Many thanks for posting the link to the old thread, it is very interesting and I will follow up on some of the advice.

Thanks again.

All the Best,

Roger

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”