Vintage VE2000GG 12 string - my experience

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Oldbones

Re: Vintage VE2000GG 12 string - my experience

Postby Oldbones » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:14 pm

Many thanks to Roger, Tom, Brad and Sue for your kind thoughts and messages, they were all much appreciated. There really are nice people in this forum.
It isn't how fast you can play that counts - it's that you only play as fast as you need to play that is important.
Silence can be as eloquent as sound.

Roger

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:22 pm

Oldbones,

Just like you I have been playing a lot more ukulele than guitar recently. I'd thought about buying a ukulele lots of times, but around this time last year I saw a Puretone soprano in a charity shop going for £1.50! Although the colour was not the best (pink!), it was in good condition and I started from there. Not long after I had another charity shop find, a Mahalo in blue for £5, which was slighty better quality.

My next purchase was a Caramel concert electro-acoustic ukulele, complete with 3 band EQ and tuner, off Amazon for £40 - crazy money! It sounds great when played without amplification, but I do like to play it through my Zoom G2 sometimes to add a bit of reverb and delay.

Going back to guitars, my main acoustic was a Crafter, but I sold that a few years ago when my shoulder problem started and replaced it with a Vintage travel guitar, as played by Gordon. I've also got 2 electrics - a "cheapo" Harrier Telecaster copy which has had several mods, and a Cort X2.

Finally guitars I wish I'd never had sold - an Eko Ranger with a lovely thin neck, and a Tokai Strat copy!

Best wishes to you Oldbones,

Roger

Oldbones

Postby Oldbones » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:32 am

To avoid going off-topic, I'll simply add that my preferred ukes now are a Pono baritone and a Pono tenor with a Kala concert and long neck soprano also in the mix. As for guitars that I'll be keeping (at least for a while), an Admira Capricho classical, a Taylor GS Mini (superb to play) and a PRS SE Custom (best electric I've ever had. Plays like silk). After another long day sorting out the house, I had a break and amused myself making a new avatar to include the instruments I just mentioned. Oh well - it kept me off the streets.

As for the Eko Ranger 12 ... ditto. I had one back in the far distant yonder. It weighed a ton but was fantastic to play.

I was interested in your reference to the Zoom G2. I occasionally use a Zoom G2Nu but mostly I use an old Zoom 505ii. I uploaded a couple of demos onto Youtube to display my favourite settings. The updated version with much-improved settings has proved to be very popular so it's great to see this old FX unit still being used.

To return to Gordon ... like you I have a lot of his CDs but wasn't keen on the DVD you mentioned. His early 'Visionary' trio still gets to be played regularly and still gives a real thrill. Perhaps my favourites are two more reflective albums - 'A midnight clear' and 'A matter of time' in which he played with the equally brilliant Martin Taylor.

And to finally get back to the 12 string theme .... I was first hooked on that instrument when I encountered an LP by Billy Strange back in 1963. I managed to get in touch with him and exchange many interesting email chats with him before he died. I have all his 12 string recordings and several others.

I've had the chance to play the VE2000GG and yes, it really is a spankingly wonderful instrument. I'm still perfectly happy with my VE8000PB. Tone-wise, my subjective impression is that the GG does probably have the edge. I tend to permanently keep the PB it tuned a whole tone below standard, which is what I've always done with 12s anyway. Perhaps the most interesting thing is that BOTH guitars are made by Vintage so they deserve a world of praise for being so innovative and for helping to create two such fabulous guitars which don't cost the earth.
It isn't how fast you can play that counts - it's that you only play as fast as you need to play that is important.

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:05 am

Hi Oldbones,

I have been away and have only just finished catching up on the past week's postings including the terribly sad news about your wife's passing.

I just wanted to add my condolences, and let you know your are in my thoughts as you go through what must be a very difficult time.

Music can be a great solace and I hope it is for you.

Best Wishes, Roger

Oldbones

Postby Oldbones » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:51 am

Thanks Roger, much appreciated.
Yes - you're right about music. For the family and village get-together that I arranged after my wife's funeral and commemoration service, I put together a compilation CD of her favourite classical music and another of all the music she loved throughout her life - mostly soul from the 60's (her student days) and pop from the 70's. These were played in the village hall and got a lot of good comments along the lines of "Oh yes - I remember that".
Here at home, I'm playing a lot of music as I sort things out - everything from Gordon's own 'Visionary' triple, wild ukulele playing and singing by 'LP', searing blues by Roy Buchanan and many other favourites old and modern.

Thanks again for your kind thoughts.

PS: Don't know if ukulele is an interest of yours, but if so I've started a new thread following a suggestion from Brad.

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:03 pm

I'll add my condolences too. I've lost both my parents in 2013 and 2014 and it proved to affect me rather more than I was expecting. I have found that listening to some music that both mum and dad liked helped to remind me of the good times and I have formed a new connection to pieces that have always been familiar with but which are now really quite special.

You'll never be the same but music does help to heal.

Oldbones

Postby Oldbones » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:15 pm

Thanks Andrew.

My wife's favourite music has actually proved to have the opposite effect at the moment - perhaps it takes time because I'm also finding it uncomfortable to go back to places that we used to enjoy going to together.

Clearing the house and trying to decide whether to move nearer to my daughter and her family is currently occupying a lot of my time.

Thanks again for your kind thoughts.

BRC

Postby BRC » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:47 pm

Amazingly it is 6 years ago, on 31st March 2014, that I bought my Vintage VE2000GG 12 - and still a very fine instrument. I have taken it with me on one trip to Germany but, other than that, has made a few travels within the UK.

It has picked up a couple of dings in that time, mainly from people knocking it when on its stand at performances, though that has not altered the tone in any way. Whether or not the tone has altered over that time is difficult for me to tell. I use Elixir phosphor bronze nanoweb strings and very happy with the tone.

I am amazed at the number of views my original post has had and would like to hear from those who took the plunge and bought one of these guitars and how they have ventured with it.

Here is hoping that it keeps going for another 6 years ... and me as well!

Kind regards and good health to all
Brad

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”