Nail Care

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

User avatar
matt
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Nail Care

Postby matt » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:39 am

I know its a subject close to many guitarists hearts and there's (I'm going to say) hot debate over the best methods. For me it's a point of contention, misery and suffering. It's also bloody annoying! The wife to be hates me having longer nails but I can't get on with finger picks. But on the flip side one of the reasons I've not really progressed is because I've been unable to grow usable nails.

I did watch the following with great interest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiUpsnqY ... Fm&index=4

A long time ago I tried super glue. Unfortunately my skin doesn't like super glue and it resulted in me nearly loosing my finger nails! :shock: I've since learned that their are different types of cyanoacrylate glue (thank goodness for google since my browsers spell checker really didn't like that one!) of which some are medical grade (thank you wikipedia, another donation due!)...

So not wanting to risk another nail loss how do I go about stopping my nails from curling like evil budgie talons?!? Sorry for the horrible imagery but these hands also clean up after two kids! :oops:

Image


I watch a video regarding the use of 'builder gel' and after some research have found this to be increasingly popular. Super glue really isn't nice stuff but neither is the UV required for fitting gel nail tips...

Any suggestions or thoughts folks I'm really at a stop?
Damn... broke a nail

User avatar
GORDON
Site Admin
Posts: 1307
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:05 pm
Location: SUTTON COLDFIELD

Re: Nail Care

Postby GORDON » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:02 pm

matt wrote:I know its a subject close to many guitarists hearts and there's (I'm going to say) hot debate over the best methods. For me it's a point of contention, misery and suffering. It's also bloody annoying! The wife to be hates me having longer nails but I can't get on with finger picks. But on the flip side one of the reasons I've not really progressed is because I've been unable to grow usable nails.

I did watch the following with great interest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiUpsnqY ... Fm&index=4

A long time ago I tried super glue. Unfortunately my skin doesn't like super glue and it resulted in me nearly loosing my finger nails! :shock: I've since learned that their are different types of cyanoacrylate glue (thank goodness for google since my browsers spell checker really didn't like that one!) of which some are medical grade (thank you wikipedia, another donation due!)...

So not wanting to risk another nail loss how do I go about stopping my nails from curling like evil budgie talons?!? Sorry for the horrible imagery but these hands also clean up after two kids! :oops:


I watch a video regarding the use of 'builder gel' and after some research have found this to be increasingly popular. Super glue really isn't nice stuff but neither is the UV required for fitting gel nail tips...

Any suggestions or thoughts folks I'm really at a stop?


My nails grow in exactly the same way and shape, it's obviously genetic.Sorry I can't help with your problem as a I use superglue all the time.I guess there is always the local nail salon that may be able to help.

Best.

G

User avatar
matt
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Re: Nail Care

Postby matt » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:20 pm

At this rate then my first album will be titled Troubled Talons ... :shock: :lol:


I guess I'll have to don a disguise and see the local ladies in the know... Might try picking up the bits and bobs for the gel nails as it's not overly expensive and seemingly doesn't damage the nail and lasts a lot longer than the glue and powder etc.
Damn... broke a nail

Mike
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Middleton

Re: Nail Care

Postby Mike » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:38 pm

I'm assuming you're a steel-string rather than a classical guitarist; but for nylon-string players at least there's a lot about nails on the 'Delcamp' classical guitar forum (just Google 'delcamp'). I've also tried superglue, but I find even the superglue in brush-on pots is too thick, and just cracks off after 2-3 days (sometimes taking the top layer of nail off with it - aaaargh!!) Quick-drying brush-on nail glue is much better, at least for minor nail-tip repairs. Also silk wraps are great - well, I've only tried them once, but that was for a nail disaster just hours before a guitar exam last year, and without them I'd have had to cancel the exam.

Having said that, I'm only playing classical at the moment, so I don't know whether the above would be good enough to stand up to steel strings.

(And I've just noticed - we all seem to be in or around Sutton Coldfield!)

User avatar
matt
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Re: Nail Care

Postby matt » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:08 am

Guitarist is such a strong word the conjures up images of a an individual at one with his or her instrument... I am most certainly not at one with any of my instruments... :oops: :lol: But thanks for the assumption... perfectly natural considering where we are having this little chat... :D

I in fact dabble with nylon, steel and electric... I find that all three invoke a sound I can enjoy (not that anyone else can mind)... :) I have a stab (seems an accurate term for the sound produced) at playing all three finger style and occasionally I whip out a wooden pick if I want to try and save my nails... I prefer fingers on strings mind... It feels better somehow...

I'll have a nosey at your suggestions and go from there... Thanks for the suggestions and I'll report back with findings here later... ;)

I'm genuinely surprised there's not more thoughts on nail care here as it's such a subject close to finger style guitarists hearts... :?
Damn... broke a nail

User avatar
matt
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Re: Nail Care

Postby matt » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:10 am

Sorry missed the Sutton Coldfield comment... :oops:

Erm... I'm sure I spotted someone from the USofA somewhere abouts... nice chap... sizeable hands or the like... could have been his feet... wasn't looking too close to be honest...

Anyway... I'm sure we're not all from the Midlands :lol:
Damn... broke a nail

Mike
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Middleton

Re: Nail Care

Postby Mike » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:27 pm

matt wrote:Guitarist is such a strong word the conjures up images of a an individual at one with his or her instrument... I am most certainly not at one with any of my instruments... :oops: :lol: But thanks for the assumption... perfectly natural considering where we are having this little chat... :D

I in fact dabble with nylon, steel and electric... I find that all three invoke a sound I can enjoy (not that anyone else can mind)... :) I have a stab (seems an accurate term for the sound produced) at playing all three finger style and occasionally I whip out a wooden pick if I want to try and save my nails... I prefer fingers on strings mind... It feels better somehow...

I'll have a nosey at your suggestions and go from there... Thanks for the suggestions and I'll report back with findings here later... ;)

I'm genuinely surprised there's not more thoughts on nail care here as it's such a subject close to finger style guitarists hearts... :?


I know what you mean, I'm not sure I'd presume to call myself a "guitarist" either! And probably never will!

User avatar
AndrewD
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:19 pm
Location: North Somerset
Contact:

Re: Nail Care

Postby AndrewD » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:08 pm

matt wrote:Anyway... I'm sure we're not all from the Midlands :lol:


Ermmm...well....

(I'm not there now but am a land lubber from Warwickshire originally)

I play nylon, steel string acoustic and electric and play them all with nails rather than picks. I don't generally do anything to my nails other that shape them with either a nail stone or a glass file and I don't use emery boards. Occasionally I will use some cuticle oil or rub E45 into my hands and nails, but it isn't a regime and it is very infrequent. Prolonged exposure to water makes them split, and that can also happen if I let them get too long. I keep them about 3-4mm long on the right side, dead short on the left.

BRC
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:45 am
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Re: Nail Care

Postby BRC » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:16 am

I looked in on this tread a while ago and came back today hoping someone had a definitive solution. Ah well!

I had a look around on the internet a few weeks back and came upon this article http://www.stringdancer.com/home/articles/jeffs-guitar-corner/nail-care-for-guitarists/. Most seems common sense, though I won't be making any plans to visit the beauty parlour any time soon (too much work needed on the face will distract from the nails. I was told plastic surgery might help but they didn't have that much plastic in the world).

I did read an article in a newspaper, again a few weeks ago, that said when filing the fingernails only file in one direction (no, not that One Direction), rather than the typical 'sawing' action most of us probably use. The reason being that the latter action breaks the nail instead of smoothing it. Mind you, it didn't say which direction.

My apologies if this is an inadequate contribution to the discussion, though I will keep looking in on this thread to see if any miracle solution is presented.

Brad

User avatar
AndrewD
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:19 pm
Location: North Somerset
Contact:

Re: Nail Care

Postby AndrewD » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:23 pm

BRC wrote:I did read an article in a newspaper, again a few weeks ago, that said when filing the fingernails only file in one direction (no, not that One Direction), rather than the typical 'sawing' action most of us probably use. The reason being that the latter action breaks the nail instead of smoothing it. Mind you, it didn't say which direction.


My research has turned up that the recommended way is from each outside edge to the centre. So it is a single movement rather than sawing back and forth but you are tending to pull the nail together rather than pull it apart by going from centre to an edge.


Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest