Stratocasters

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Roger USA

Strats

Postby Roger USA » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:41 pm

GORDON wrote:
blackgold1963 wrote:Hi Gordon
thanks for the info re: strings for the GG 12 string acoustic- will try the wyres .
Cant wait to give it a go at acoustic pub sessions coming up in Jan/ Feb.
Just wondering - have you had a thread on strats ?? Have returned to using some of mine the last few gigs over xmas and been fab .
My particular favs are the jap Marvin strats - fenders and squires , which I collect - Mary is very understanding !!
Must go - have a good new year all
best regards
Phil H

Let's do a thread on Strats then. I love em and have two at the moment.One made by Paul White and another made by a friend of Stu Field at The Guitar Cavern Worcester.

Happy New Year all.

G.

My wonderful wife gave me a new American Standard (USA made) Fender Stratocaster for my birthday at the end of November. It is an excellent instrument, although I am not an expert. It is in three colour sunburst and looks very similar to Gordon's "Buddy Holly" Strat highlighted in December's newsletter. We should start that thread.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Roger

Sue
Site Admin

Re: Strats

Postby Sue » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:12 pm

Ok Roger - your wish is my command - I've started a new thread for you !

Sue
GG webmaster

Roger USA

Stratocasters

Postby Roger USA » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:19 pm

Gordon suggested a Stratocaster thread be started, so I thought I would get things rolling.

It's a good time to start one, because by my calculations 2014 will be the 60th anniversary of the 1954 introduction of the Stratocaster. It was a few years later when Cliff Richard is credited with bringing the first Fender Stratocaster to England for Hank Marvin.

My recent birthday present, a three colour sunburst American Standard Stratocaster, keeps all the usual Stratocaster virtues, with a few 21st century upgrades that help it stay in tune amongst other things.

Like the Telecaster the list of players will be endless.

My childhood influences were heavily Strat biased through players like Buddy Holly, Hank Marvin and George Harrison. As a small child I thought Hank Marvin's playing on Wonderful Land and Atlantis was as good as guitar playing could ever get!

As time moved on there were a number of stand out Strat players I listened to including David Gilmour, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler.

David Gilmour's famous black Stratocaster was the guitar of my teenage dreams.

A Stratocaster followed by the re-released Visionary, Perilous Journey and Fear of the Dark CD's in my Christmas stocking makes it a good few weeks for my musical life.

All the best,

Roger

Roger USA

Re: Strats

Postby Roger USA » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:21 pm

Sue wrote:Ok Roger - your wish is my command - I've started a new thread for you !

Sue

That's wonderful. Do you have the technology to merge my new thread with this?

Thank you Sue!

Sue
Site Admin

Re: Stratocasters

Postby Sue » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:33 pm

Merge DONE ! Now only one topic.

Great minds think alike and our new threads must have both been in progress at the same time, anyway, go for it - Guitar Anoraks Rule !

Sue
GG webmaster

blackgold1963

Postby blackgold1963 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:39 pm

Hi Guys
Great to see the Strat thread up and running. I guess there will be so many great players mentioned who are associated with them.
Personal favourites for me -
Jeff Beck
Hank of course
Mark Knopfler
SRV
Walter Trout
Richard Thompson

My Strats -
1979 Silver anniversary
Hank Marvin 90s Japan strats and squires - all clean and twangy !

Just wanted to mention , my recent acquisition of The GG 12 string electro-acoustic guitar.
Having had time to play , rehearse and gig it now , I am delighted with its performance .
Sounds great through a fishman amp / PA and blends wonderfully with a 6 string electro in our acoustic duo.
If your after a 12 string with great build and sounds at an unbelievable price, you cant go wrong in my view.

Best regards
Phil H

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:18 am

blackgold1963 wrote:Hi Guys
Great to see the Strat thread up and running. I guess there will be so many great players mentioned who are associated with them.
Personal favourites for me -
Jeff Beck
Hank of course
Mark Knopfler
SRV
Walter Trout
Richard Thompson

My Strats -
1979 Silver anniversary
Hank Marvin 90s Japan strats and squires - all clean and twangy !

Just wanted to mention , my recent acquisition of The GG 12 string electro-acoustic guitar.
Having had time to play , rehearse and gig it now , I am delighted with its performance .
Sounds great through a fishman amp / PA and blends wonderfully with a 6 string electro in our acoustic duo.
If your after a 12 string with great build and sounds at an unbelievable price, you cant go wrong in my view.

Best regards
Phil H

Hi Phil.

I'm so,pleased to hear that the good old 12 string is still bringing joy.I trust that you pitch it well below concert or use light gauge strings because of the pull on the neck.

You have some nice guitars there my friend,and thanks for keeping this Strat thread going.

Be well.

G.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:21 am

My pal Russ has some marvellous Strat guitars in his collection,some even custom built by him cos he's clever like that.

Come on a Russ, where are you when we need you to keep this thread going buddy.

Best.

G.

Roger

Postby Roger » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:06 am

For a start I'll go for Steve Hillage and Phil Manzanera of Roxy Music. Manzanera had a Strat from the early days of the band and now uses "Roland Ready" versions in conjunction with a Roland modelling amp. In addition he also uses a Les Paul and his Firebird VII on stage.

My own Strat story goes back to the mid 80s, when I bought a Tokai Strat from a music shop in Solihull. I got it at a reduced price because it had been damaged in an attempted break in. When I say damaged, the red sparkle finish had been chipped through to the bare wood, but only over an area the size of my little finger nail. So all that was needed was a red permanent marker and some nail varnish and hey presto it was as good as new :D I remember that the same shop also had a butterscotch Tokia Tele for sale,complete with tweed case - very nice!

Unfortunately due to a change in circumstances the Tokai was sold, along with the Session amp I bought to play it through, in 1986 (I think). Lovely guitar in every respect :)

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:22 am

Oh gosh...... well, here we go -

Between me and Ash we have the following;

1978 natural Ash Fender
1983 Japanese in Fiesta red
1995 Strat/Shergold Hybrid
2009 Home built Rory Gallagher replica
2010 Mexican Wayne Kramer replica
2012 'Nightstalker' custom 'low noise' Strat
2013/14 Jerry Garcia 'Aligator'

Um, I think that is all unless you want to count all the bodies and necks!!!

On a serious note - there is something about Strats that appeals to us amateur guitar builders - I guess it is becasue they are rather like Lego, or an Airfix kit - whatever you do, you can't really hurt them!

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:27 am

Oops, sorry, forgot my fav. players;

Hendrix of course!
Rory
Dave Gilmour
Pete Townsend
Richard Thompson
Hank
Stevie Winwood
Clapton
Mark K
Jerry Garcia
Frank Zappa
Edgar Broughton

probably in that order!!

Cheers,

Russ

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:28 am

Bugger - forgot Jeff Beck!!!

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:09 am

Russ Gannicott wrote:Bugger - forgot Jeff Beck!!!

Nice one Russ.I knew we could rely on you buddy.

What a stunning collection.

Glad you remembered probably the greatest Strat player alive...good old JB.

Love to the family.

G.

scottj1

Postby scottj1 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:06 am

What a great topic this is!

Iv'e always preferred Gibsons to Fenders but my favourite Strat player would have to be Ritchie Blackmore...

He's no mean acoustic player either and a huge fan of GG..so good taste all round :D

Maybe we could start a Les Paul thread?

Best wishes to all

Scott

Roger

Postby Roger » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:26 pm

I'll start the ball rolling then Scott :D

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”