Where to find a VE2000GG-12?

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Lu_B

Where to find a VE2000GG-12?

Postby Lu_B » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:54 pm

I'm on the hunt for a 12 string and as much as I'd love something like a Taylor 555ce, I can't justify the ££ and the shape will be a bit big for me.

So got to thinking of the GG 12 string, the size will be good for me as is similar size wise to my beloved Yairi Gordon Giltrap Signature but I want to try one in the flesh. Does anyone know of a shop that has them in stock?

I'm not a fan of buying acoustics mail order so would like to try before I buy.

Cheers

Louise

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Where to find a VE2000GG-12?

Postby GORDON » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:24 am

Hi there.

I suggest you give JHS a call on o1132865381 and ask for either Gavin Coulson or anyone in the sales department who could steer you in the direction of your local dealer who may stock a GG 12 string.My other suggestion is to look at the Paul Brett 12 string.This is a great instrument and was designed specifically as a 12 string and sounds just wonderful, and of course the price is in the same sort if ball park figure as the GG 12 string,which is really the cousin to the GG 6 string.

A word of warning...If you do decide to go for my 12 string..PLEASE string it with light gauge strings if tuning to concert pitch,otherwise you will experience an issue with the hefty pull on the neck and general strain on the belly of the guitar.Dont get me wrong, the guitar sounds wonderful, but it wasn't designed as a 12 string and therefore one has to be mindful of that fact.

I string mine with 11 gauge strings and tune it well below concert to C sharp or C or even lower if you so desire.I do the same with my FYLDE 76 12 string.

I wish you well in your search for a 12 that suits your needs my friend.

Be well.

G.

Lu_B

Postby Lu_B » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Thank you for the advice Gordon, very tempted by the Paul Brett due to the size.

Decisions, decisions :)

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:45 pm

I know I'm going off-topic a little, but I understand that many, if not most, 12-string acoustics are not capable of taking concert pitch tuning at all. I have an Epiphone 12-string acoustic which shouldn't go above one full tone below concert. If I want to play at concert pitch then I use a capo.

Oldbones

Postby Oldbones » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:52 am

GORDON wrote:A word of warning...If you do decide to go for my 12 string..PLEASE string it with light gauge strings if tuning to concert pitch,otherwise you will experience an issue with the hefty pull on the neck and general strain on the belly of the guitar.Dont get me wrong, the guitar sounds wonderful, but it wasn't designed as a 12 string and therefore one has to be mindful of that fact.

Gordon, in a long series of exhanges with 'Brad' in another thread, this theme of lowered tunings, pensions and strains on 12 strings has featured quite a bit. It would be REALLY useful if at some time in the future you could 'do a Paul Brett' and review your guitar in a video. His reviews and/or demos of both his and your 12 strings are really fair, varied and interesting.

For anyone who hasn't seen them - here are the links:

PB's demos of the Vintage Gordon Giltrap signature 12 string (As far as I can see, there are virtually no other examples of the GG12 being played on Youtube)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSeWxgD_ULE

PB's review of the Vintage Paul Brett signature 12 string (There are several other uploads of the PB12 being played by Paul or others - so the need for a few more GG12 demos or YT reviews seems urgent)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1xx5fZu9s0

It's very informative to bounce between the demos because (a) they're both played by the same superb guitarist in similar environments and (b) you get the chance to compare the sound of each instrument when played in a variety of styles.

Currently I have a full-size dreadnought Crafter 12 string which I either have at standard tuning where it rings brilliantly, or I have it tuned one whole tone down where it loses a bit of jangle in favour of a deeper, muddier and altogether 'dirtier' tone.

ON THE THEME OF CAPOS - 12 strings have a bit of a reputation as regards being thrown badly out of tune or having muffled strings when a capo is used. (Caused, I assume, by the different gauges on strings 6-5-4-3). What capos do you have experience of, and what is your personal preference for a 12 string guitar? I tend to use a Shubb which I'd rate at about 8.5/10 for effectiveness and minimal loss of tuning.
It isn't how fast you can play that counts - it's that you only play as fast as you need to play that is important.
Silence can be as eloquent as sound.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”