Set up/refret for my guitar before or after I choose strings

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Seagull27

Set up/refret for my guitar before or after I choose strings

Postby Seagull27 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:21 am

Hi all

I recently bought a used Yamaha LL11. The lower frets are quite badly worn and the action is quite high too. So I would like to get a set up done on it, and I'm also thinking about a re-fret. I may possibly also look into getting a bone or tusk saddle (and pins?) fitted.

Anyhow, the thing is that I am quite new to steel strung acoustics (but been playing guitar for over 20 years) and as such I am in the very early stages of experimenting with different string type, makes and gauges.

On the one hand I want to get the guitar in tip top shape as soon as possible. On the other, I'm not sure how much the set up is tailored to the type and gauge of strings....

So what would you do? Get the guitar set up now and then tweaked (or re-done) later when I settle on some strings? Or do the experimenting first and get the set-up done a year or two down the line?

Cheers

Max

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Set up/refret for my guitar before or after I choose str

Postby GORDON » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:52 am

Hi Max.

If your guitar needs a refret and top nut then I suggest you get it done.

The point is REGARDLESS of what strings you eventually decide on, if the instrument needs refretting it will never play well until that job alone is sorted.

Any guitar repairer worth his salt will ask you what style you play, what string guage you use,what action you like, and then set it up accordingly.

Depending on where you live and if you are prepared to travel I suggest Roger Williams to do the job. He is first class and takes great pride in all he does.

His number if you are interested is..01543 262543.

Hope your Christmas was good.

G.

Seagull27

Postby Seagull27 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:20 am

Thanks for the suggestion Gordon. I have emailed him....

I live in Norfolk, but I holiday in Wales. So if it turns out that he can do my kind of work needed (and if I can afford it!) I could discuss with him the idea of dropping it off in the summer and collecting it on the way back! That would also give me 6 months or so to try and decide what strings work best on the guitar....

Cheers

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:31 pm

A good decision sir.

Be Well.

G.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”