Ash's birthday guitar

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Russ Gannicott

Ash's birthday guitar

Postby Russ Gannicott » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:13 am

Only a couple of weeks away now! Soon we'll be travelling up to Coventry to collect Ash's 18th birthday present from his whole familly - a Rob Armstrong acoustic. This is going to be something special (what 'Robbie' isn't?) as Ash convinced Rob to build one more Bert Jansch guitar for him. The guitar is being built to Ash's spec, but is entirely based around Rob's limited run of Bert Jansch guitars which was sadly cut short by the passing of Bert. The choice of this guitar is pretty poigniant as is it can be traced back to a wonderful encounter between Ash and Bert in Gordon's kitchen a few years ago - an event which has left a lasting impression on Ash.....one I know he will never forget. Bert's honest and open encouragement has been a source of inspiration to Ash and has lead him to develop his acoustic blues playing in a way he probably wouldn't have done otherwise. Ash has been hugely fortunate to have the support of the wonderful musicians that he does...not the least because he can count on many of them as friends as well as the other astonishing people he has already met along the way. Thankfully he is aware of how lucky he is, and humble enough to recognise greatness in others. I would like to thank Gordon in particular for always being a huge source of inspiration, and for providing many of the oportunities that has given Ash the chance to grow into a man in the way that he has. Thank you.

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Ash's birthday guitar

Postby GORDON » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:32 am

Rob Armstrong is a genius,and this guitar will bring tears of joy to anyone with any sensitivity about these things.

Ash is a great young man with a great family,and it does my heart good to see the love and encouragement that you give him in all he does.

Sadly I(LIKE MANY I KNOW) had to battle agaist parental opposition to any musical aspirations I had.My father was a tough man from a tough generation so it's understandable the way he was.It was a different world way back then,but the scars remain!

I wish you all a great day when you collect that guitar and I'm sure the memory will remain for many years to come..

Yes, Ash IS lucky but he knows it which makes the whole thing that much more special.

Hil and I send our love.

G.

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:59 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words Gordon - I heard the guitar down the phone today and it sounded great! Rob reports that the K&K pick-up appears to have been a great choice as all it does is make the guitar sound louder!
More details to follow soon...
Cheers,
Russ

Roger

Postby Roger » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:14 pm

What a lovely posting Russ - I just regret not speaking to Bert when I had the chance, but as Gordon says at least I can say I've been in the same room as the great man.

Best to you, Carole and Ash,

Roger(&Em)

PS Haven't been on the forum much recently due to work and Dad's continuing health issues, but I must get around to posting some photos of my new "old" Mini sometime :D

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:51 pm

Thanks so much Rog... It was Ash's 18th yesterday and he had a great (and rather civilised) time with us and a few mates at a local pizza restaurant! We are all looking forward to our weekend at Rob's and the collection of the guitar. Ash's reaction to this is quite interesting as the excitement is tinged with a certain sense of 'gravity' - he feels he has a certain responsibility to this guitar, not only for the family who have bought it for him, but also to Bert in whos memory he commisioned it. Should be interesting.......I hope if Gordon and Hil can make it to the party I might capture some interesting moments with Ash and GG on camera!!

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:36 am

We shall be there all being well Russ.

I'm looking forward to the birthday boy playing it for us!

Safe journey at the weekend.

G.

Roger

Postby Roger » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:02 am

Russ,

Please pass on our belated best wishes to Ash for his 18th and have a GREAT weekend :D

Best to you all,

Roger & Em x

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:49 pm

Well, we have been back for a week since our visit to Rob's and Ash has had a chance to put the guitar through it's paces at a gig. The overall impression of the guitar is firstly that it is stuningly beautiful, and secondly sounds amazing. The personal touches that Ash requested ('V' profile neck etc) have proved to be good choices as Ash says it is the finest guitar he has ever played...and he has played a few! From the listener's viewpoint, the guitar has great projection, and a lovely balanced tone with every note clear and defined. The choice of K&K pick-up was good as was proven at the gig on Tuesday night - I have never heard a pick-up reproduce the natural sound of the guitar better than this one does, and despite being sensitive (three transducers) the feedback rejection is remarkable. I know this guitar is going to give both Ash and his listeners a lifetime of pleasure, and for that I would like to not only thank Rob for his genious as a luthier, but also for Bert Jansch and of course Gordon for being the inspiration behind it all in the first place. Thank you.

Roger

Postby Roger » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:21 pm

Russ,

Would be great if you could post some photos!

All the best,

Roger

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:03 am

Hello chaps!! Just a quickie - I thought I'd update you regarding the pick-up; well, the K&K has proved to be remarkable under just about every circumstance. Here's an examlpe - straight off the desk, no EQ or twiddling - not even balanced! Try the first track please.........
www.soundcloud.com/connorfox-1

Roger

Postby Roger » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:54 pm

Very nice Russ.......can I hear a little bit of Bert in there?

Roger

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”