A BEAUTIFUL GUITAR DESTROYED BY UPS.

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

GORDON
Site Admin

A BEAUTIFUL GUITAR DESTROYED BY UPS.

Postby GORDON » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:13 am

I finally decided to sell my lovely MARTIN M3M acoustic because it just wasn't getting the use it deserved. My main guitars of use are of course my Vintage signature models and my Fyldes along with my Roger Williams acoustics.

To cut a long story short, this beautifull and rare instrument arrived at Old School Guitars with a hole through a VERY strong Martin plywood case. It looked as though a fork lift truck had done its worst.

David Crozier the owner of the shop was devestated.

We KNOW it's only a guitar but it did have a pretty large part of my history attached to it as I used it to record Em's Tune on my Shining Morn album. This guitar is one one of only 127 made world wide and it was signed by the great George Martin and Chris Martin!

We now have the long process of insurance claims etc. Obviously I would never use UPS ever ever again.

Gutted of Sutton Coldfield

Roger

Re: A BEAUTIFUL GUITAR DESTROYED BY UPS.

Postby Roger » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:46 am

Gordon,

What a terrible and totally unnecessary thing to happen! Very sad for us as the Martin was the "Em's Tune" guitar, but even sader that such a rare, top-end guitar has been destroyed.

Best to you and Hilary,

Roger

PS Will tell Em the bad news when she gets home from work :(

kevin

Postby kevin » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:14 pm

I must say I was really shocked that such a thing could be allowed to happen by a company as large and well known as UPS.
You must be feeling sickened Gordon
Anyone who knows guitars can I am sure understand the way you must be feeling.
I know I can!

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:54 pm

I can certainly imagine how gutted you must feel. Unfortunately even when the insurance process is completed it often cannot possibly compensate for the uniqueness of what has been lost.

It has been my expereince in the past, whether regarding personal or business issues, that global courier companies involved in the loss or damage of something unique or time sensitive, completely fail to understand (or attempt to show much interest in) the customer's loss.

Roger

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Today I noticed that the current UPS TV commercial running in the USA uses, of all things, the Martin Guitar Company as its subject.

Pretty ironic under the circumstances.......

Roger

Paganwolf

Postby Paganwolf » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:16 am

I have to admit, I'm not a great lover of UPS either, I rate them only slightly higher than Parcelforce (and you don't want to know my opinion of them!) for my humble two penn'orth, DHL take some beating, never had any problems with them and when a guitar I bought from the states was snarled up in Customs, they took the time to call me and advise me of revised delivery times etc rather than sit back and let me do the chasing.

That said, it must be gutting to lose an instrument like this, any instrument as a guitar is not an "off the shelf thing", we pick up different types, even different guitars from the same range and spend hours, weeks or months looking for that "this is the one" moment. This one has the added rarity of numbers and being used for recording too, gutted is not a word I would use to describe and can only imagine how you feel.

Rich
Witches ride brooms as nature abhores a vacuum

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:04 pm

Yep, it's crap news about the Martin but not life threatening my friend.

It will all get sorted one of these days.

I shall keep you all posted as to the outcome which I hope of course will be good.

Thanks for your concern my friend.

Be Well.

G.

Paganwolf

Postby Paganwolf » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:43 am

Can I add another one to the list to think twice about? Parcelforce, not only did they make no attempt to deliver but sent it staight to a post office (where according to their ToC, its for the customer to collect), the box containing two very hard to get hold of sill panels for a Jaguar XJS looked like it had been kicked from Pillar to Post, fortunately, there is no major damage to the panels but the attitude of Parcelforce customer services left a lot to be desired
Witches ride brooms as nature abhores a vacuum

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:36 am

Paganwolf wrote:Can I add another one to the list to think twice about? Parcelforce, not only did they make no attempt to deliver but sent it staight to a post office (where according to their ToC, its for the customer to collect), the box containing two very hard to get hold of sill panels for a Jaguar XJS looked like it had been kicked from Pillar to Post, fortunately, there is no major damage to the panels but the attitude of Parcelforce customer services left a lot to be desired

I think it's all a bit of a gamble with these people, I hate it when things like this happen!

Thanks for your posting my friend.

Be Well.

G.

stevegreeny2

Postby stevegreeny2 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Perhaps you should do a video. This one went viral :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

If you know the story, you'll know the guy never got his money back but I guess no-one flies with UA with a guitar now !

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”