Advice on guitar strings etc.

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

TerryR

Advice on guitar strings etc.

Postby TerryR » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:57 pm

Hi Gordon,
We met back in 2018 when I attended one of your workshop/concerts near Crewkerne, Somerset, which I enjoyed very much. You may (or may not) recall that I brought along a classical guitar which I've played for many years.
Inspired by the workshop I am now considering buying an acoustic guitar and your Rob Armstrong signature model (Vintage VE2000DLX) appeals to me as it's designed for fingerstyle with a relatively wide nut.
However, I am a complete novice with regard to steel strung acoustics, having only really played nylon strings until now and I would be grateful for a little advice concerning strings. I'm particular concerned about its playability with respect to string tension.

What string gauges do you use for your fingerstyle technique? I would prefer lighter gauge if possible.

Does this change if you're using a pick or finger picks ?

Finally, do the string gauges need to increase for dropped tunings?

Best wishes,
Terry

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Advice on guitar strings etc.

Postby GORDON » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:15 pm

Hi Terry.

Yes,I remember it well sir.

I use Martin SP's 11 to 52 and this gauge works well all round for standard and dropped tuning, at least I find it so. I have never used fingerpicks so can't answer that particular question, but my guess is all would be fine if you did.

Hope this helps Sir.

Warmest of Regards. and good luck with your quest for the right guitar, obviously I LOVE my VINTAGE DLX.

TerryR

Postby TerryR » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:55 am

Hi Gordon,
Many thank, great advice.
Can I have a quick follow-up...

What do you like about Martin strings - i.e. what makes them special and
Do you use Phosphor bronze [set MA535FX] or Monel (Nickel/Copper Blend) [set MM11] ?

Best wishes
Terry

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:52 pm

I use phosphor bronze strings.The Martin strings hardly ever break and last for ages.I love em G

TerryR

Postby TerryR » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:13 pm

Hi Gordon
Thanks again
Terry

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”